Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

yes, my breathing problems are the reason for my hatred of heat & humidity -- but it still can't be comfortable for anyone. 

how does your wife handle it with her breathing issues?

I don't really know anyone who would call it comfortable, she has a problem with it, morso when it's hot.  

Comfortable is relative, heat and humidity is no problem when your on a great looking island beach in the Caribbean with a nice frozen drink in your hand, but sucks when working in your yard.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, grasshopper said:

this is why I do not go to the Dr. The stress of knowing what all was wrong would kill me.

My new to me the last three years doc asked me why I didn't put that I was a veteran on my chart cause everything that has supposed to have killed me three times over hasn't.

Just like vets he's treated up at Duke!

Told him I don't have time to die yet, I'd talk to him next year!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

That round up hasn't worked worth a darn in years.

When it first came out I remember.

Whatever green you put it on would wilt immediately, yellow within ten minutes, be dead and brown the next day if it didn't rain.

Sounds like you read the instructions that the litigators ignored.

Use protection

don't use when windy

If it gets on you, irrigate with water then seek medical attention

I saw that from day one! could have saved that company hundreds of millions for a nominal fee!

Well what we used in the past on jobs was called Roundup Pro dry, it is 71% Glyphosate which is the active ingredient, it's an individual packet to add to one gallon of water. It does work faster but still not overnight, what I use now is cheaper but about 31% and takes a little longer but works.

It is possible in the beginning they added something else to it to help kill faster ? I say this because what Glyphosate does is start a chemical reaction in the plant to stop it from making proteins they need to grow and live, so that alone would not be enough to kill overnight, it might have been something else added ? Like when you spray in much cooler or dryer times it takes much longer for the plants to die, because they are much less active at those times, but they will eventually die. 

And like you said, don't spray if real windy and do not spray yourself, and wash off if you do.There is very little affect to soil, the chemical only works when absorbed through the leaf or stem of the plant. Much less affect then what a pre emergent would do to stop seeds from sprouting on soil, that does get into the ground. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

That round up hasn't worked worth a darn in years.

When it first came out I remember.

Whatever green you put it on would wilt immediately, yellow within ten minutes, be dead, brown and brittle the next day if it didn't rain.

Huh? Round up takes 2 or 3 weeks to completely kill a plant depending on the weather. Perhaps you're thinking of Agent Orange:)

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, babadono said:

Huh? Round up takes 2 or 3 weeks to completely kill a plant depending on the weather. Perhaps you're thinking of Agent Orange:)

When I bought it at the long gone kmart that I drove my first car to 1981 - 1982 it did that to weeds and anything else green that I put it on. Now it turns things kinda brown in a couple of weeks then six weeks out the weeds look healthy again😢

Gasoline was cheaper when it was $4.50/gal but it poisons the soil too. So there isn't a good replacement I've found.

Two kinds of herbicides that I recall the ones that stay in the plant and kill it all, the other that goes from the plant to the dirt and ruins the dirt. The second one is just wrong so I dig the offender up by the roots and don't have the time or energy to do that all day every day for two months solid! Real herbicides have gone the way of the dodo bird.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Not comfortable or uncomfortable, just tolerable.  It certainly gives your pores a work out.

so how do you feel when you go to a low humidity area ... say Phoenix -- would that dryness make you uncomfortable?

Good friend was a two-tour door gunner in Nam and told me they used to load drums of Agent Orange on board to spray for weeks at a time.  Told me it was the same uniform day after day and he may as well have bathed in that stuff.  Came back home, got married, had a pair of twin girls w/no history of twins on either side of the families, and a son.  All 3 kids were born with deformities like webbed toes and fingers, palates that were deformed, hands and just all kinds of nasty stuff.  Went to the VA after they were all born and they wouldn't do a thing.  That was before the Govt admitted to just how nasty it was.  Can't believe they're all still alive.  Nasty stuff to say the least.  You could hear the leaves dropping after areas were sprayed.  We all knew then it was nasty stuff but to hear his story was pretty sad.  I knew all the kids but haven't seen him in 20 years.  Crazy!

• Sad 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Yea @dtel when the plant does it's photosynthesis instead of being nourished it gets poisoned.

Got a little WeedBGone I've got to put on that clover if I can in the morning and see if it still works.

Look to see what the active ingredient is, for no reason really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

so how do you feel when you go to a low humidity area .

I gained about 5lb during my stay in IN... Just sucking up moisture from the air

Just for shitz-n-giggles

4% r/h and 3` dew point right now.... and 90`. I guessed high 40's this AM... Looked at the thermometer... 47`. Might have actually been colder. 53` was the official low in Tucson.  Had to laugh... weatherforecaster sez "This is the coldest it's been since May 21... Wow... 3 weeks....

Fire burning in the foothills of the Catalina Mts, north side of Tucson... Those expensive homes are in area that does that....

Don't get many brush/forest fires down in the city... duh

I hope wife is good to have her cataract surgery.... pre-op inspection is Friday. First eye [is sposed to] get done next week.... if covid doesn't shut us down, again.... Might be like the last time... cancelled her surgery 2 days before it was to happen....

If she has to wait... not a real problem beside it needing to get done. She has 9 weeks of sick leave accumulated.

I'm staying out of the AO/Round-up discussion.   Except to say that when they were spraying that stuff all over Mexico and Columbia, they created marijuana that was resistant to it... Oops. Same phenomena may be why it doesn't work as well as it used to IDK.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1