Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Just now, BigStewMan said:

a man of many talents ... pickled beans, growing peppers (if I recall correctly) and make your own mix, good taste in wine, and enjoys blues rock.  impressive. 

He's just a boy who's intentions are good

Oh Lord, don't let him be misunderstood

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

it almost feels cool. It didn't get to 100`... and the sun wasn't blazing. That a biggie...

took a cruise thru "downtown".

bunch of motorcycles at the bar. Virginia's taco stand had people.  No fresh veggies at the farmers' market. Still early in the season. Thought there might be some beans and summer squash and an early flush of tomatoes... maybe, but, no.

think salad is on the menu tonite. Crisp and juicy sounds good..

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:
3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

He's just a boy who's intentions are good

Oh Lord, don't let him be misunderstood

you the Animal or is he the Animal ... somebody's got to be the Animal. 

Santa Esmeralda, had that Lp back when i did a little DJ stuff in another life.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

No fresh veggies at the farmers' market. Still early in the season. Thought there might be some beans and summer squash and an early flush of tomatoes... maybe, but, no.

think salad is on the menu tonite. Crisp and juicy sounds good..

my garden is coming just fine , tomato plants are 2-3  feet tall and getting very thick   around ,  in 2 weeks they will start giving plenty of  fruit ---

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dtel said:

Your just not right, apparently still defrosting from the Midwest.

I made that apparent early on.  Being a misfit has become a way of life.

Spend a couple summers down here, your sense of hot/cold gets skewed. Living in HI for 8 years didn't help that. Honestly, July and August are the nicest time of year. Doesn't get 100`+ hot... .  Some humidity. Kinda like summer everywhere else.  I bet our mean temp is lower than a lot of the country for those months.

All but gave up on spotify. I can get yt. Not great... but I the neighbors like it better than me banging on my keyboard. Watching /listening to Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scotts.   The bass player is cute as a bug's ear. She can pluck some string too.

Got off on a ramble before

Good Mornin' All!

The Bighorn Fire is still cooking. Wind shifted and cleared the smoke out the valley. Could see the mountains north of Tucson... and the smoke/fire on top.

today is Sunday? Guess it is. The computer sez so.

Wife must be feeling OK. She back to trying to make me crazy. She turned the oven on midday yesterday to make a pizza.  I wouldn't mind so much, but with our passive cooling, once it heats up, no going back.

have some wind this AM... not talking about me-- I always have a lot of hot air and it's coming from one end or the other... the weather. Wind is blowing. That is strange.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

my garden is coming just fine , tomato plants are 2-3  feet tall and getting very thick   around ,  in 2 weeks they will start giving plenty of  fruit ---

the plants grow great guns.  Ours won't set fruit in the high heat. I got crushed around mid Aug on. We have to plant cherry type if you want fruit set in the hot. Temps moderate once the rains start. It will get 90` - 95` and then rain. Clouds up just as it is starting to feel over warm.

• Like 1

Mean temp or average?  In a bit I will compare with north central Texas, what's the closest town you're near again?  Today I start on a new bag of Guatemalan/Antigua beans.  From Kroger's private selection brand.  With the coupon it was only slightly more than my usual Aldi beans.  

• Like 2

I stopped at a farm stand last week to see what was available.  In one bin were a couple of dozen nice red tomatoes.  The price above the bin was $4.40 per pound.  I asked one of the folks working there what made those tomatoes so special that they were $4.40 per pound?    The reply was "Well, they're really good...."   Oh, OK.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

@oldtimer

mean temp. The heat index might be interesting, too.  We don't get the stifling humidity.

Nogales is prolly closer to  what it is in Arivaca. Tucson is at a bit lower elevation. About 1500 ft lower than us.

Nogales has an "Internation Airport". .. by virtue of, if you botch your approach, you land in Mex. Just a fence away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your hottest 2 months are June and July, at 96 and 94, here it is July and August at 95 and 96===average highs.  The big difference are the average lows in those same months with you down in the fifties and sixties, nice, we get down in the 70's if that on average.  Way less rainfall at 18 inches versus our yearly 39.  Relative humidity has to be  lower there for the most part.  It seems to me that in the 1970's DFW was a lot less humid in the summer than it feels now, could be my imagination.  Well, my work is done for the day....time for coffee.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grasshopper said:

the plants grow great guns.  Ours won't set fruit in the high heat. I got crushed around mid Aug on. We have to plant cherry type if you want fruit set in the hot.

well , looks like we're set for a good season here , it's not too hot , and just right , we eat tomatoes grown indoors all year , no comparison with an ugly tomato full of cracks , juicy , plumpy for tomato bacon , mayo sandwich

• Like 1

I can't get squat to go in this "dirt".  Off the top of our little hill, it's easy. 

at the other place, I didn't need to plant toms. I had volunteers. Which is why I don't have any seed saved.  Not one of my smarter moves.

My favorite tomato is Purple Calabash. Lumpy and just plain ugly. Cut them and they're green inside. You get over the looks. They have serious flavor. If you don't like tomato, you will hate these.

this guy doesn't care from them... I think they're great. No "Did you put tomato in this?" with them...

• Like 3