Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

26 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Thanks but isn't that kind of worthless?  The average highs and lows make more sense.

"The maps show mean temperatures—the arithmetic average between the highest and lowest temperature in a 24-hour period—averaged together over the month for the previous three decades."

• Moderators
6 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I made that apparent early on.  Being a misfit has become a way of life.

Spend a couple summers down here, your sense of hot/cold gets skewed. Living in HI for 8 years didn't help that. Honestly, July and August are the nicest time of year. Doesn't get 100`+ hot... .  Some humidity. Kinda like summer everywhere else. 

That first line is funny, I bet many people feel the same way.

Living in places with large temperature differences would be hard to get used to. My sister in law lived most of her life in Hawaii, her husband was Louisiana. They got married and moved to Alaska, big change for both of them. They would send us pictures of the thermometer on the porch saying -50 degrees, we couldn't imagine that kind of cold. After 20 years of living there they decide to move, both saying it was such a pain to deal with those kind of temperatures, it's a completely different lifestyle. Much more work just to keep things from breaking, like the motorhome  besides winterizing and keeping engine heaters plugged in, things like the battery had to be stored inside so it wouldn't break. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

That first line is funny, I bet many people feel the same way.

Living in places with large temperature differences would be hard to get used to. My sister in law lived most of her life in Hawaii, her husband was Louisiana. They got married and moved to Alaska, big change for both of them. They would send us pictures of the thermometer on the porch saying -50 degrees, we couldn't imagine that kind of cold. After 20 years of living there they decide to move, both saying it was such a pain to deal with those kind of temperatures, it's a completely different lifestyle. Much more work just to keep things from breaking, like the motorhome  besides winterizing and keeping engine heaters plugged in, things like the battery had to be stored inside so it wouldn't break. 

Yep.  A much bigger hassle.  Even the Chicago winters would be too much to deal with if you ask me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Thanks but isn't that kind of worthless?  The average highs and lows make more sense.

"The maps show mean temperatures—the arithmetic average between the highest and lowest temperature in a 24-hour period—averaged together over the month for the previous three decades."

Its like the definition of relative humidity...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I went golfing once and it was so hot that I got sick from the extreme heat (and stupidly walking 18 holes in that heat and drinking beer).  I would say that the temperature that day was a mean temp.

Safer to scrap the golf and stick to beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was kinda wondering how Steve was gonna work that, too

I couldn't find any chart to show what I'm saying.  This is the heat of summer and the highs average mid 90's and our lows are currently in the low 60's.. Just trust me... July - Sept you will find the weather very comfortable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyH 000 said:

Ketchup and mayo , tomatoes , what a perfect blend -

Always on the cutting edge Heinz sells just that, ketchup/mayo blend in the bottle. 
A friend of mine, a chef, would cook stir fry around the Holidays and made a sauce everyone raved about. Most used it to dip shrimp in, he called it “dumdum” sauce. Being a chef you’d think it was an exotic mixture of ingredients - nope - mayo and ketchup and a couple spices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/27/2020 at 4:57 PM, dtel said:

Glad you did that, I had no idea what it was, never seen it before. .

it's  a bartender  helper for an instant bloody Mary /Ceasar or the Virgins  at home , 1 secret  ingredient ------Salt - so instead of taking a glass and put lemon juice around the rim , then dipping it in salt and peppers , this blend gives you the salt 310 mg  per 1/4 ounce and a specific pepper mix -   but gone is the Worcestershire or the tabasco , or aged cayenne

http://demitris.com/Products/Bloody-Mary

http://demitris.com/Classic-Recipe

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

They would send us pictures of the thermometer on the porch saying -50 degrees, we couldn't imagine that kind of cold.

when going to Northern Quebec , we go through Tadoussac which  has a Ferry , the weather is usually - 50 in the winter or lower , if your truck's or semi or car motor  is shut , it  may not restart  and then you are in serious trouble   , you leave everything running , even when refueling at a gas station -and you plug it in  ---- the people who live in these areas are just the best , if you need help , they will stop and take care of you -

• Like 2

I have noticed that the more sparsely populated an area, the more welcoming the locals.

or at least it used to be

...in the early 70's,  I hitch-hiked around the country during the summer. We got soooo lost in the Black Hills.  Folks would give us a 2 mile ride to Bob's Trout Farm or something that didn't show on the map. Blame the 3 girls that picked us up in Wyoming and dropped us off in Rapid City. 

I can't really make that statement about population and friendly. I found the folks on the eastern seaboard nice. I like Eastside girls. That brassy directness.

• Like 1