Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Tarheel

Cables, Coffee, and Cocktails

Recommended Posts

When it comes to artistic work, I think study can stifle creativity.

Creative work suffers from conventional wisdom, too

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

On the bright side, maybe y'all will never make nor eat microwave popcorn again.

it has all these transfats we all have to avoid

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

When it comes to artistic work, I think study can stifle creativity.

Creative work suffers from conventional wisdom, too

Steve Howe from YES is one of my favorite guitarist.  I could play for a thousand years and never be close to as good as he is. He said once when someone asked how he was doing something in a song ... he said that he didn't know, he wasn't thinking about it.  he tries to keep things simple and he thinks about what he's doing that will just make it harder. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 6:58 PM, BigStewMan said:

Historically, I've been opposed to being a copy cat; but today I was. I have an friendly argument with a musician friend of mine about playing covers -- he's all for it and I've always held that creating your own stuff was the better way to go. For today's practice session, I copied Brian May and learnt this tune.  Brian May be slightly better than I am. 

 

 

It was only last week that I heard ‘39 for the umpteenth time and decided to learn a bit about it.  You guys probably already know this, but I had no idea that it was about relativistic time dilation, and its tragic effect on returning space explorers.  They left in ‘39, discovered a new planet with lots of possibilities, and returned in the same year, ‘39.  That was how it looked to them.

 

However, while they were travelling across space at very high speeds, the years were rushing by on Earth, and the singer returned to find his wife long dead, so all he could see of her was in his daughter’s eyes.  His lonely life lies ahead of him, and he laments, “Pity me.”

 

I guess Brian May, the astronomer, had the cosmos on his mind even back then.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Islander said:

 

It was only last week that I heard ‘39 for the umpteenth time and decided to learn a bit about it.  You guys probably already know this, but I had no idea that it was about relativistic time dilation, and its tragic effect on returning space explorers.  They left in ‘39, discovered a new planet wth lots of possibilities, and returned in the same year, ‘39.  That was how it looked to them.

 

However, while they were travelling across space at very high speeds, the years were rushing by on Earth, and the singer returned to find his wife long dead, so all he could see of her was in his daughter’s eyes.  His lonely life lies ahead of him, and he laments, “Pity me.”

 

I guess Brian May, the astronomer, had the cosmos on his mind even back then.

But that voice.........

 

 

Edit, sorry, it was Steve that posted that clip.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mornin' all

How's everyone this AM?

 

 

Fresh coffee -- Peruvian. Bread is making  Comfortably cool...

 

thoughts of going to the lake. The threatening weather will keep some folks away. The first... er..last 6 miles of ArivacaRd  [mile 23 - mile 17] can be a real bugger in the rainy season. Town is on the west end of the road, so, it counts down as you approach town...One place, a wash runs down the road and then there are 4 [other] washes that present a challenge in that stretch. It's actually only about 4 miles that all of that happens...

 

No news on FIL... wish I could tell ya something good on that.

 

Wife starts work today. I don't imagine she will be there long. Weather is a major consideration... The kids don't get near as many "snow days" as rain days off. Still don't know how school is gonna be conducted this year. Everyone is making it up as they go along. The situation is fluid.

 

I felt inspired to play my "call for rain" composition... we got a little later in the evening... maybe 1/4in.

 

With wife starting work, she gets to hear the phrase she is soooo fond of "Honey, it's time to get up". Can't do impromptu early AM fishing "trips".  Wife will set her alarm when she knows I'm going.... Think I'm gonna take the boy next trip to the lake. Need to show him how to catch a fish. Needs some learnin' to outsmart a creature with a brain half the size of a pea.  I don't know if he even knows how to tie knots he needs. I only use 4... Palomar, dropper loop, trilene knot and a non-clinching [Rapala] knot..that one is a fancy bowline.  Could scare him and show him a Bimini twist.... But that's something you only see on saltwater rigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

 he tries to keep things simple and he thinks about what he's doing that will just make it harder.

 

Most of the time I "play", I close my eyes ....If it sounds good, I'll try to keep it going... if not... I turn the keyboard off and say "I wasn't feeling it today".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

 

Wife starts work today. I don't imagine she will be there long. Weather is a major consideration...

I'm hoping they all have some form of distancing - masks -basic protection

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No kids today.  Should only be 4 people in the building.  The whole staff.   Small school. I think they have 20 kids this year... K - 8

All of the staff have several "titles"   More positions than staff.  Wife is head teacher, Principal, superintendent and teaches K- 4. The other teacher has 5 - 8, is special education teacher and substitute bus driver. Bus driver is teacher aide ... Receptionist is admin asst.... she's "the negotiator"

 

Bronx girl....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Mornin' all

How's everyone this AM?

 

 

Fresh coffee -- Peruvian. Bread is making  Comfortably cool...

 

thoughts of going to the lake. The threatening weather will keep some folks away. The first... er..last 6 miles of ArivacaRd  [mile 23 - mile 17] can be a real bugger in the rainy season. Town is on the west end of the road, so, it counts down as you approach town...One place, a wash runs down the road and then there are 4 [other] washes that present a challenge in that stretch. It's actually only about 4 miles that all of that happens...

 

No news on FIL... wish I could tell ya something good on that.

 

Wife starts work today. I don't imagine she will be there long. Weather is a major consideration... The kids don't get near as many "snow days" as rain days off. Still don't know how school is gonna be conducted this year. Everyone is making it up as they go along. The situation is fluid.

 

I felt inspired to play my "call for rain" composition... we got a little later in the evening... maybe 1/4in.

 

With wife starting work, she gets to hear the phrase she is soooo fond of "Honey, it's time to get up". Can't do impromptu early AM fishing "trips".  Wife will set her alarm when she knows I'm going.... Think I'm gonna take the boy next trip to the lake. Need to show him how to catch a fish. Needs some learnin' to outsmart a creature with a brain half the size of a pea.  I don't know if he even knows how to tie knots he needs. I only use 4... Palomar, dropper loop, trilene knot and a non-clinching [Rapala] knot..that one is a fancy bowline.  Could scare him and show him a Bimini twist.... But that's something you only see on saltwater rigs.

My wife teaches Pre-K, and she started today, the kids show up in 2 weeks. Some of her kids will be online only, she's a little nervous about that.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expressed my concerns to my wife...  I don't quite know what to think

 

one nice thing

half of her students are, more or less, family. It's a weird situation... but our grand spends half of her time with them. So, we have been exposed to them, at least.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Could y'all say a prayer for my father-in-law?

Sorry did not see this until now. But you got it, prayers will be said for Albert and you and your family.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

that is a horrible smell too.  had a job once and the boss thought he was setting the microwave for three minutes and set it for 30 minutes.  long before that people were walking towards the microwave to turn it off. the place smelt for days. 

A long time ago my new wife and I sorta wanted to continue our honeymoon on dreary Sunday afternoon.

We forgot we put 3-4 eggs on to hard boil. WOW. A hole in the ceiling from the lid and STINK for days.

It was all worth it.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Hi folks

I don't ask much or often

Could y'all say a prayer for my father-in-law?

He's 80 and had a stroke today.

His name is Albert .

 

thanks

Just seen this sure will.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@grasshopper  another late one said for your father-in-law and the whole of the family.

Is that smell gone yet? even singeing the popcorn stinks bad to me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

singeing the popcorn stinks bad to me.

not as bad as squirrel.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

not as bad as squirrel.

Was told I'd eaten squirrel once right after I left the kitchen..... darn uncles got me!

Kind of like dark meat chicken is what I've remembered!

It was a wrist rocket!! Remember them?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They smell pretty bad when being cooked.  You were lucky to get the finished product.  I need one of those rockets for rat practice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First things first

 

FIL's stroke was a brain stem stroke[?]. Got to the hospital too late to mitigate damage. The good news... he's being discharged -- this afternoon. Has a bit of a hitch in his gait.. but... He seemed to enjoy the attention from the nurses... as long as they were female.

Thank to all for the thoughts/prayers!

 

Oldtimer --- never ate squirrel

Cremated eggs are bad. Every blow up a potato?  They're pretty bad.

The popcorn stink is still lingering.

 

I've had a busy day. Started out with normal things. Vac and empty the vac. Then I went up on the roof to do a patch. Came down and had to launder my clothes. Threw them in the machine and all it did was make noise. Oh great?!? A plastic "fuse" in the drive broke... Easy fix, but still have to pull the motor/pump and install the part, which I have/had several. Wife has learned about overloading... I  went to our salvage yard and pulled 3 or 4 when I had the opportunity... so, I had parts.Then it rained. The roof patch was successful.

Then I fried some chicken....

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

 

FIL's stroke was a brain stem stroke[?]. Got to the hospital too late to mitigate damage. The good news... he's being discharged -- this afternoon. Has a bit of a hitch in his gait..

Don't know what that means, would imagine it's better than going to the brain ? A hitch is a small price to pay, he got off easy it seems.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...