Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

43 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I've never fallen off a ladder and yet I have four herniated disks  ... two in my neck and two in my back.  the ones in the neck are particularly painful. 

to heal and bring relief to herniated disks  , the natural way , you have to  put wool behind the area that is hurt  or have a heat transfer with an electrical real wool blanket directly on the area that is herniated  , military blankets  , thick wool sweaters , etc and the thicker the better ,  it has to feel much  hotter in the painful area versus the rest of the body

--  if you maintain heat on the affected area ,, it will heal slowly , but surely , if it hurts , then your posture is wrong , find the sweet spot where you are the most comfortable , and stay there for as long as you can -  since healing from herniated disks requires staying  immobilized to concentrate on the area that is affected -

• Like 2

I've fallen off 3 roofs, and one of them was on the job and 2-1/2 stories the hard way. I didn't see a doctor until approximately 6 months later, when I couldn't move one of my legs.

A good friend's favorite nickname for me is still "Workmans' Comp..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

I've fallen off 3 roofs, and one of them was on the job and 2-1/2 stories the hard way. I didn't see a doctor until approximately 6 months later, when I couldn't move one of my legs.

A good friend's favorite nickname for me is still "Workmans' Comp..."

very painful ---------right , a bit like being hit by a bus

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, babadono said:

105 degrees today. Man it was hot. Spent the day helping clear the brush on the perimeter of my property. Getting ready to put up a fence. Tomorrow should finish up the cutting. Still will need to do a lot of chipping the cut brush.

Just pile it up and light it on fire, would could go wrong it's California. :huh:

23 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

what  Yamaha  model was the bike --------like an FJ  or  the R1 ---------

It's a 1985 FZ750 with an '88 FZR1000 engine.  The engine is stock, but the brakes and suspension are upgraded. The frame and front end were bent in the crash, so I bought both parts, used, and paid a buddy to do the frame swap.  It was much cheaper and easier to fix the bike than to fix me.  Anyway, I swapped some of the 750 engine parts, like the 750's gold cam cover and clutch cover, so the engine totally looks like a stock 750.  It can really surprise some later (mid-'90s) 1000cc bikes.  Of course, that was before the laws like going more than 40 (or is it 50?) km/hr over the speed limit is "stunt driving" and results in your vehicle being impounded.  The Golden Age of Going Fast seems to be over in Ontario.  We have a similar law here in BC, so the traffic rolls a bit slower than it used to.

I should mention that I still have my bike.  It’s parked behind my van, and every time I see it, it brings back 11 years of great memories.  I raced it in Pro Open Production and Pro Open Superbike for the 1985 season, and it never scared me once, something that’s not true of many bikes on the track.  It was a pretty good touring bike too, once I replaced the stock seat with a much more comfortable Corbin unit and added Nonfango hard bags and top box.  Many good memories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Looks like they moved it just slightly West and a little slower.

here in the East we've been seeing Electrical storms all day yesterday and Rain -----tons of rain ---------for the past 2 days , Florida gets it , we get it 2 days later

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes, a broken back hurts, LOL.  I drove myself home from church but before I could make it all the way I had to have my son turn the steering wheel for me as I couldn't lift my arms.  Getting on and off the x-ray table was a beaatch even with pain meds.  X-ray tech asked "have you broken your back in the past"?  Nope.  "Well you have now".  They drilled 2 holes in the vertebrae, inserted surgical balloons and inflated them to expand it somewhat back into shape then filled it with cement.  It's similar to what they do for osteoporosis.   I was jogging after 2 weeks and playing soccer again in 8 weeks.

Now that you’re all healed up I don’t feel so bad saying that I once told my wife I think Carl has cement in his head. Sorry, my guess was about three feet off — 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Islander said:

It's a 1985 FZ750 with an '88 FZR1000 engine.

there are still too many guys going nuts on the roads with 600cc bikes than can hit 150 miles per hour -  so the 180 miles per hour 1000cc bikes pay the price ,  the new Ninja H2 and H2R  are  supercharged bikes that make older 1000cc bikes look like scooters

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

there are still too many guys going nuts on the roads with 600cc bikes than can hit 150 miles per hour -  so the 180 miles per hour 1000cc bikes pay the price ,  the new Ninja H2 and H2R  are  supercharged bikes that make older 1000cc bikes look like scooters

Yes, there used to be memes that said “Beware of Squids”, because there were too many inexperienced riders crashing fast bikes and causing insurance premiums to rise to unaffordable levels.  At the same time, there were a few “quick-buck” types who had discovered that used bikes in Canada were low-priced by international standards.  So they bought dozens of used bikes, mostly in Ontario, and shipped them overseas by the container load.  Soon, this resulted in a severe shortage of the used bikes that many new riders start out on, since they can’t afford a brand new bike.  As a result, the bike scene in Ontario collapsed, with even big dealerships in Toronto closing up, like 2-location Cycle World and the 70-year-old McBride Cycles.  I’m just hearing this second-hand, because I moved to BC in 2001, but it’s pretty sad.

As for me, I rode 350s and a 400 for years before I got the 750, and it was years before it became a 1000.  I was well ready when I got a really fast bike.  They can be seductive, though...

That H2R is a thing of beauty, but a chain-driven supercharger?  How is it tensioned, and how does the rider know when it’s time to adjust the tensioner?  That reminds me of the 1973-‘74 Yamaha TX750.  I was a bike mechanic then, and went to Yamaha Motor Canada to learn how to install and adjust the quickly-designed balance weight chain tensioner on that bike.  It used a chain to drive two balance weights, which made the big parallel Twin run very smoothly.  However, there was no way to tension the chain as it inevitably stretched.  Once the chain stretched beyond a certain point, the weights could strike each other, with disastrous results.

Thus the recall to install the tensioner system.  It worked, but the bike was discontinued after two years, and is pretty much forgotten now.  I hope the H2 and H2R don’t suffer the same lack of confidence due to mechanical issues.  They do look very exciting, and have the brakes and suspension to deal with really high speeds.  Also, they’re pretty expensive, which will keep them out of reach of the great majority of new or inexperienced riders.  It takes a rider who has a lot of time on fast bikes to be able to ride either model safely.  As well, the H2R is a track-only model, not a street bike.  Oddly, it’s not legal for any current racing class, so it seems to have been built as a demonstration of Kawasaki’s engineering and manufacturing skills, a statement product.  It seems to be designed for the rider who likes to go to track days, and has the money to have a track bike as well as a street bike.  I’m forecasting low sales for the “R” model.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

here in the East we've been seeing Electrical storms all day yesterday and Rain -----tons of rain ---------for the past 2 days , Florida gets it , we get it 2 days later

So where is here for you?

8 hours ago, richieb said:

Now that you’re all healed up I don’t feel so bad saying that I once told my wife I think Carl has cement in his head. Sorry, my guess was about three feet off — 

Closer to a foot but the rest is correct.

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Extar EP9 on back order.  Everybody is getting ready for the zombie apocalypse is seems.  Split a thousand rounds of 9mm with a friend.

Hey Eric....would love to have your energy.   Any secrets to share?

Decades younger ?? Sheesh ‘Heel —

3 hours ago, Islander said:

That H2R is a thing of beauty, but a chain-driven supercharger?  How is it tensioned, and how does the rider know when it’s time to adjust the tensioner? I’m forecasting low sales for the “R” model.

the R model is for track and pro use only , when you buy the bike , Kawasaki adds a contract into the sales agreement  which forces the buyer to do specific maintenance  based on the mileage of the bike --

here is the tensioner

h2 tensioner.pdf

• Like 1

..if Carl is OK... somehow that makes me feel more "normal"...

We got brushed by a storm last night. Cooled things to comfortable.

can't complain too much about the heat here

121` in Lake Havasu City.

You can only stay in the water so long.  Then you go to a bar. Then you wonder why you are in Havasu City.... and then leave to find a more humane climate

• Like 1