Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Rained so hard right after 4:00 it woke me up

We had one blow through at our house yesterday as well.  Meter showed 32mph winds several times at the house.  Sustained 20s for a while.  Of course it caught the weathermen by surprise.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

We had one blow through at our house yesterday as well.  Meter showed 32mph winds several times at the house.  Sustained 20s for a while.  Of course it caught the weathermen by surprise.

Weather’s a chaotic system.  It can never be exactly forecast.  One week out is chancy, and farther out than that is guessing.

43 minutes ago, Islander said:

Weather’s a chaotic system.  It can never be exactly forecast.  One week out is chancy, and farther out than that is guessing.

In Ohio it seems that 2 days out is chancy and farther than that, you should have a dart board with different scenarios on it and just throw one.  I had more accurate forecasts when I lived in coastal S.C. than here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pete H said:

In Ohio it seems that 2 days out is chancy and farther than that, you should have a dart board with different scenarios on it and just throw one.  I had more accurate forecasts when I lived in coastal S.C. than here.  

Some areas have more chaotic weather, maybe with different factors competing all the time, while other areas have relatively stable situations. 

• Like 1

Exactly.  There are quite a few places like that, but others where the weather’s fairly stable.  If it was really variable everywhere, that saying would be meaningless, because it would be the norm for everyone.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Islander said:

Some areas have more chaotic weather, maybe with different factors competing all the time, while other areas have relatively stable situations. 

True, we have the Gulf moisture more prevalent than Texas and whatever drifts over from Texas on occasion.

Texas has more high pressure systems than us meaning higher temps and suppressing the Norther flow from the gulf at times, which makes it dryer and tends to come from the WNW, but that also means when moisture comes through it can be quite the change and dramatic. I don't miss the highs, when one slides over us from Texas we stay hot and dry, usually our record temps are set.

• Like 2

Our "bad weather" is many sunny and warm. 

and when I say sunny, that means no clouds.... oppressively sunny

doesn't feel nice... sunny

The "monsoon" [which is a dud this year] makes our summers more midwest.. Warm, a touch of humidity, and air mass [popcorn] thunderstorms in the afternoon

I was about to go off on a ramble

....in a nutshell

After living here for 50 years, I saw it wasn't happening early on, this year...well before it was supposed to [traditionally] start

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 2:26 PM, babadono said:

You win the lotto?

Ummm, nope.  Working on round two of the rhodo's today though.  Using your drill and dump the round up in the hole method.  Filled the holes twice a day for 3 days.  If straight round up doesn't kill it this year next year I'll be hoping I win the lotto.  Grind them out then.  I don't ever want to see another one of those things!  hahahaha  :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Using your drill and dump the round up in the hole method.

Curious as to how this goes. I've never had to give a stump more than one dose. These were only 2 to 3 inch stumps mind you. Of course it doesn't dig itself out of the ground, but it didn't grow back:)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, babadono said:

Curious as to how this goes. I've never had to give a stump more than one dose. These were only 2 to 3 inch stumps mind you. Of course it doesn't dig itself out of the ground, but it didn't grow back:)

Wait, you drilled an hole and put roundup in a "stump" that had a three inch diameter?

That's tiny, I use a mattock and dig those volunteers up tap root and all.

Been doing that a lot recently trying to whip this property back into shape. Used rock salt before that we had for the ice cream maker on ones that were a foot or so across and it would take five years... that is much faster than not doing it. I perforated those with a big bit. Tried a hole saw once but it was more hard to clean that pine sap out of.