Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

the World Series quake.  I remember that because a gal at work got transferred to our SF location and she was deathly afraid

how did you win her back ------after all , the earthquake was not your fault , and  the Judge could have been kinder to the lady  even the Judge was a  trainee at some time -

• Like 1

In Quebec, there’s an expression:  “J’ai mon voyage!”  It means “ I’ve had my trip”, equivalent to “Now I’ve seen it all.”  The older I get, the more trips I seem to have had, because it seems that eventually, you do see it all, even things that once seemed unimaginable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

Seen that on the news, hope everything is OK, areas with natural gas lines are a little more dangerous if any leaks were caused. That will wake you up quicker than coffee.

Well it did take me a half a cup before I realized I needed to go out to the meter and listen then sniff a little!

Just now, Islander said:

In Quebec, there’s an expression:  “J’ai mon voyage!”  It means “ I’ve had my trip”, equivalent to “Now I’ve seen it all.”  The older I get, the more trips I seem to have had, because it seems that eventually, you do see it all, even things that once seemed unimaginable.

Actually , it's more like , j'ai mon tabarnac de voyage -

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

another day waiting for rain. There are a few cumulus clouds and an outside chance of... it not being sunny all day.

a break from the sun is nice... some rain would really be appreciated

and Yes , this is a desert... but it is dry, even for a desert.

There were some comments about this on an early morning science show on the radio today.  It seems that the contrails from jet exhausts provide tiny particles (jet soot?), as well as the tiny water droplets that make the visible trails, have the effect of seeding clouds.  The clouds are moist, of course, but need something for the molecules of water to attach to, so they can form bigger and bigger droplets, until they’re finally heavy enough to fall.

With the current greatly reduced air traffic, the seeding effect is also greatly reduced, so areas that normally have a great number of daily overflights now are having drier weather.  Even the desert rains sometimes, but lately, not so much.

• Like 2

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Well it did take me a half a cup before I realized I needed to go out to the meter and listen then sniff a little!

Smart move, you can hear gas going through a meter if there is a leak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

how did you win her back ------after all , the earthquake was not your fault , and  the Judge could have been kinder to the lady -after all, even the Judge was a  trainee at some time -

there was no winning her back to be done ... we were just co-workers. I think the judge would have been cool otherwise, but the subject matter of the case was of a very personal nature and I don't blame the guy for wanting to keep as many people as possible from knowing about it. 

• Like 1

@grasshopper had to shut everything down right before you posted after I was here last. First day in a while we haven't had rain. Spent hours on the car yesterday so it stayed clean for 24 hours now!

When you can hear the pop/sizzle and then the explosive thunder moving away from you that follows less then "one one thousand" later you shut stuff down quick! Radar on my phone showed it blew up over the east side from almost UNCC (north of town) to miles below me. It headed away towards the east but that bolt and some wind... then I was powering back up a half hour later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

That's life, in a nutshell.  Never ask, "what are the odds?"

I learnt that one too ... had a rough day, was driving home and telling my brother about all the crap that happened that day. Then I said, "what next?"  well, a moment later I'm pulling into my parking space and a cop is stopping right behind me.  He gives me a ticket saying that I didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign. 

That was day I stopped referring to the police as police. I now call them Revenue Generators because they hide in alleys just waiting to catch someone. once upon a time, they wanted to visible in the community to deter crime ... now they just want to hide and catch people. I used to watch them from my house, they'd back into the alley and just wait for someone to come to a "California stop" then give them a ticket. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, billybob said:

. Unless mistaken there is a Capitan/caputan ingredient that let's one know when low in a tank capacity and/or to help detect a leak in a gas system.

Edit: smells similar to rotten eggs.

if that is the same odor they put in propane, it draws flies like crazy

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When I lived across the street from the park

one morning I hear a loud hissing noise. Look over to the park and see a spray coming from the immediate area of a 300gal propane tank.

on closer inspection, it was a frozen water pipe

Whew!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

if that is the same odor they put in propane, it draws flies like crazy

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When I lived across the street from the park

one morning I hear a loud hissing noise. Look over to the park and see a spray coming from the immediate area of a 300gal propane tank.

on closer inspection, it was a frozen water pipe

Whew!

Yes that is weird but you can tell at certain times of the day or night what the propane level in a tank by the condensation near the volume level is without a meter.

Another is placing your hand on the tank and slowly moving it down u til you feel a cooler temps.

Natural gas as well as propane can be, well, you know.

Thanks

1 minute ago, grasshopper said:

you are assuming there is some humidity. We don't need coasters under our drinks. They don't sweat.  We don't see much dew, either.

My whole life living in the southeast I've never seen that unless the drink was room temp already. Wow!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1