Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

My brother grinds and brews Kona every morning. It's the best black coffee I've ever had. I'm not quite sure what he pays for it but I'm sure it's not cheap as he gets it shipped directly from Hawaii.

The best pre-ground black I've had lately is, of all things, Starbucks "Blond" roast. It's actually one bean that they don't char to a crisp. It's really very good. Strangely enough, they quit carrying it in store. You have to go to Wal Mart or Target to get it.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

My brother grinds and brews Kona every morning. It's the best black coffee I've ever had. I'm not quite sure what he pays for it but I'm sure it's not cheap as he gets it shipped directly from Hawaii.

The best pre-ground black I've had lately is actually Starbucks "Blond" roast. It's actually one bean that they don't char to a crisp. It's really very good. Strangely enough, they quit carrying it in store. You have to go to Wal Mart or Target to get it.

I love kona. I have an uncle that lives in hawaii, so birthday and xmas gifts always consist of chocolate covered macadamia nuts and kona coffee. no complaints.

• Like 2

The best pre-ground black I've had lately is actually Starbucks "Blond" roast. It's actually one bean that they don't char to a crisp. It's really very good. Strangely enough, they quit carrying it in store. You have to go to Wal Mart or Target to get it.

I love kona. I have an uncle that lives in hawaii, so birthday and xmas gifts always consist of chocolate covered macadamia nuts and kona coffee. no complaints.

+1 on the Kona Carl and Thad, the chocolate covered macadamia nuts and kona coffee sounds like a scrumptious pairing!

Somebody wake up dtel.....want to hear more about those New Orleans coffees!

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 3

Eight O'clock.....use to grind that for folks when I was a bag boy at the A&P in the mid 60s. Always smelled wonderful.

I do have a small grinder and have recently ground (or is it grinded?) some Trader Joe's cheap beans.

Okay.....for you serious guys....I bet you drink yours black? No cream, sugar, artificial sweeteners? I neglected to say I use coconut cream and Stevia. That's got to go....right?

If I have to add anything...........

post-51278-0-91060000-1391704855_thumb.j

• Like 3

Irish Cream comments made me think of Irish coffee that I use to enjoy many years ago. A shot of Irish whisky in a mug of steaming coffee with a dollop of real whipped cream. Bien!

Any good hot buttered rum recipes? Mine is pretty standard....apple cider, dark rum, cinnamon sticks, a pat of butter. Served steaming.

Now that I am retired I bet either would be good in the mornings :)

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 1

A few observations...

I've a number of coffee makers I've collected over the years. My favorite is one of the early fifties Sunbeam vacuum pots. Lots of fun to observe and outstanding coffee.

Cheapest HQ maker: French press.

If you want it fresh, buy green and roast'em yourself.

If you like cast iron and hate to season it, roast coffee beans in it a few times and you'll have a black sheen that is shiny and smooth as Teflon...and get a lot of good coffee drinking in while you're at it.

Best grinders don't grind at all, but crush. Burr is second best and much easier to come by.

Favorites: Jamaica Blue Mountain and Indonesia Sumatra Lintong Dolok Sanggul

Blue Mountain is very expensive and often out right fake or diluted with other beans. I made a massive effort to purchase green beans in Jamaica, but even in that rather corrupt society was only able to get away with an 8 oz or so sample from the Coffee Board. Most Blue Mountain plantations have been owned by the Japanese for a couple of decades and most of it goes there. The Indonesian peaberry is a bit easier to come by and drinks great as regular coffee and makes my very favorite expresso when French roasted.

Indonesia Sumatra Lintong Dolok Sanggul also forms the basis of my favorite recipe for Irish coffee, learned at the Cricket Club on the old parade grounds in Singapore. Strong peaberry, jigger of Black Bush, dollop of Devonshire cream on top. Ungodly good...

Just a few thoughts...

Dave

• Like 3

The best pre-ground black I've had lately is, of all things, Starbucks "Blond" roast. It's actually one bean that they don't char to a crisp. It's really very good. Strangely enough, they quit carrying it in store. You have to go to Wal Mart or Target to get it.

A good Kona is around $20/lbs even in Honolulu.