Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

So...had to go see what the current situation with home coffee roasters was. Appears to be a bit better than last time I checked in, which was maybe ten years ago.

However, still murky. I started out with a cast iron pan about 30 years ago. About 10 years in, I got a Melitta Roaster. Seemed like a good idea. It was basically a hair dryer with a chaff filter on the top such that you put a couple of ounces of beans It and when turned on they would be suspended in the superheated air. I was never quite as happy with the results and finally decided that the air also carried away the essential oils. The Sweet Maria folks suggest it's more a matter of the length of the roasting time, which is about twice that of a barrel roaster. Well, they are the experts but I am still not so sure that the loss of oil isn't a factor as well.

However, there are a couple of new players that look interesting. One is an air roaster, but not so much of a blast as the Melitta. The beans are agitated by an auger so that the air flow is apparently much less. At 150.00, not too bad on the cost. But the best looking development is that of an affordable barrel roaster, 300.00, the Behmor Drum Roaster. Bit more than I might want to throw at it, but not too ouchy compared to audio gear! Info on this stuff is at www.sweetmarias.com for anyone interested, and that's a great place to get green beans (or roasted) at reasonable prices. They are an excellent source of general coffee info as well.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

That's funny.....just got a error message that I have reached my quota of likes for the day! I always try to acknowledge replies that are helpful. So if you didn't get a "like" from me I am sorry and I owe you one.

Back to coffee. Just went by Trader Joes' and picked up a bag of Kauai whole bean coffee. "Made up of yellow Catuai, a common variety of bean on Kauai, often referred to as "yellow cat"." "The most common flavor that is noticed in yellow cat is a rich, dark chocolate, and is lower in acidity"

Later I will grind enough beans for an afternoon cup and report back......

Good link Dave.....back on the slippery slope once again.

BTW....isn't it cute how I used "Cables" in the thread title to lure you guys in :emotion-14:

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 3

Now mind you, I nurse my second cup frequently until the noon hour+. I can drink iced coffee, if it is good.

I savor the coffee so, just need to drink different blend/ non blends reading this. Do like coffee quite some lot!

Can appreciate a nice tasteful coffee or espresso. I like an espresso while travelling straight up. It is very good sweetened some with cream, is my taste.

As a matter of fact, I have been known to have some in the PM for that pick me up effect. Have a too go cup. Thanks for the recc's

Drank 5 cups a day briefly but, it was the going thing. Had trouble sleeping. If drink in PM subject to count sheep. Did for a bit use Monster energy java, have used when needed.

Like Kona and the Cameron looks delicious.

Thought I was the only one drinking it but, remembered Starbucks.

• Like 1

That's funny.....just got a error message that I have reached my quota of likes for the day! I always try to acknowledge replies that are helpful. So if you didn't get a "like" from me I am sorry and I owe you one.

Back to coffee. Just went by Trader Joes' and picked up a bag of Kauai whole bean coffee. "Made up of yellow Catuai, a common variety of been on Kauai, often referred to as "yellow cat"." "The most common flavor that is noticed in yellow cat is a rich, dark chocolate, and is lower in acidity"

Later I will grind enough beans for an afternoon cup and report back......

BTW....isn't it cute how I used "Cables" in the thread title to lure you guys in :emotion-14:

Wow, a afternoon cup, nice! Was posting near same time, sorry.

• Like 1

"Made up of yellow Catuai, a common variety of been on Kauai, often referred to as "yellow cat"."

Hmm...thought your were referring to Kopi Luwak for a moment. :emotion-41:

Dave

I tried some of that one time. Tasted like s**t.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 2

• Moderators
We use Community Dark Roast & Cafe du Monde Coffee & Chicory.

For us it's what you said or Community New Orleans blend, but really when you addicted like me almost any would do. :(

Both have chicory so it's really different, to me pure coffee taste flat/bland even the best.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

We use Community Dark Roast & Cafe du Monde Coffee & Chicory.

For us it's what you said or Community New Orleans blend, but really when you addicted like me almost any would do. :(

Both have chicory so it's really different, to me pure coffee taste flat/bland even the best.

we use that, too, whichever is less expensive;

everytime we get on this I remember a local fish sto that used to carry genuine New Orleans French Bread "For a price, Ugarte, for a price."

but, I disremember to go by there...

Edited by Sancho Panza

Chicory must be an acquired taste (like Scotch). I can't stomach either one of them even though I've tried several times.

it is; can't stomach Scotch, even high dollar single malt, but, I know to re-gift it and not waste it; tried for over 20 years to like beer & wish I liked wine...

rum or nothing for me; mostly nothing, as I'm a sleepy drunk...

Heck I would settle for a Dalmore cigar malt with one cube of ice.

Not that long ago Dalmore could be had here for around 24.00. Best whiskey deal around...

Any, while it IS expensive, a good bottle of scot lasts me a long time so it's value proposition really isn't much different from beer...which I never really own, just rent.

Don't see it anymore.

Dave

• Moderators
Favorites: Jamaica Blue Mountain and Indonesia Sumatra Lintong Dolok Sanggul Blue Mountain is very expensive and often out right fake or diluted with other beans. I made a massive effort to purchase green beans in Jamaica, but even in that rather corrupt society was only able to get away with an 8 oz or so sample from the Coffee Board. Most Blue Mountain plantations have been owned by the Japanese for a couple of decades and most of it goes there.

Brought some back from Jamaica it was Jablum blue mountain brand, don't know if it was the real deal but it was good but not cheap. Also met a farmer on the beach who had much better crops.

Favorites: Jamaica Blue Mountain and Indonesia Sumatra Lintong Dolok Sanggul Blue Mountain is very expensive and often out right fake or diluted with other beans. I made a massive effort to purchase green beans in Jamaica, but even in that rather corrupt society was only able to get away with an 8 oz or so sample from the Coffee Board. Most Blue Mountain plantations have been owned by the Japanese for a couple of decades and most of it goes there.

Brought some back from Jamaica it was Jablum blue mountain brand, don't know if it was the real deal but it was good but not cheap. Also met a farmer on the beach who had much better crops.

I'm not a smuggler, I'm a Free Trader.

• Like 1