Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
Chicory must be an acquired taste (like Scotch).

It's what I started with so it's normal to me.

OH since alcohol came up you created a monster. I have tried just about every brand of honey flavored I could fine, none were better then the bottle you brought for us which is now my favorite, American Honey.

Thanks

• Moderators
Favorites: Jamaica Blue Mountain and Indonesia Sumatra Lintong Dolok Sanggul Blue Mountain is very expensive and often out right fake or diluted with other beans. I made a massive effort to purchase green beans in Jamaica, but even in that rather corrupt society was only able to get away with an 8 oz or so sample from the Coffee Board. Most Blue Mountain plantations have been owned by the Japanese for a couple of decades and most of it goes there.

Brought some back from Jamaica it was Jablum blue mountain brand, don't know if it was the real deal but it was good but not cheap. Also met a farmer on the beach who had much better crops.

I'm not a smuggler, I'm a Free Trader.

Is it smuggling if you only bring it back in your blood ? :o

We went past the Jamican jail, not going there, way worse than ours I would guess.

OH since alcohol came up you created a monster. I have tried just about every brand of honey flavored I could fine, none were better then the bottle you brought for us which is now my favorite, American Honey.

Glad you enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed my visit and the hospitality :emotion-21:

Glad you enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed my visit and the hospitality :emotion-21:

My invitation was apparently lost in the mail :unsure:

• Moderators

Invitation, we don't need no stinkin invitation, we lost the key so the door is open. :o

How did I know that about you dtel?

Invitation, we don't need no stinkin invitation, we lost the key so the door is open. :o

How did I know that about you dtel?

The farmer looks like a completely stand up guy to me :mellow:

Having ground a few beans I am having a cup of yellow cat now.......black. Bien!

The circumstances surrounding my visit to the hotel dtel were not something I'd care to go through again. Dtel and Christy took my mind off my troubles for an evening. It was much appreciated. They were extremely gracious.

My morning routine has me enjoying a cup or two of non GMO, environmentally friendly, green, expensive, co-op purchased, coffee while reading the latest in the cable debate now on page 19 in one thread and a "hot topic" in two others.

Pursuing Cal's thread that wandered a bit and ended up in a discussion of coffee I would like to pick the brain of the serious coffee drinkers here and get some suggestions, tips, and advice.

Here are the particulars. I usually do not grind my own beans. I drink two cups in the morning....that's it. Expensive to me is more than $10 a pound. I am not particularly loyal to any brand or purveyor. I have a Keurig but routinely use a Mr. Coffee. I guess among serious coffee drinkers, to use an audio comparison, I am in the boom box stage.

So what would be a step up?

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

My morning routine has me enjoying a cup or two of non GMO, environmentally friendly, green, expensive, co-op purchased, coffee while reading the latest in the cable debate now on page 19 in one thread and a "hot topic" in two others.

Pursuing Cal's thread that wandered a bit and ended up in a discussion of coffee I would like to pick the brain of the serious coffee drinkers here and get some suggestions, tips, and advice.

Here are the particulars. I usually do not grind my own beans. I drink two cups in the morning....that's it. Expensive to me is more than $10 a pound. I am not particularly loyal to any brand or purveyor. I have a Keurig but routinely use a Mr. Coffee. I guess among serious coffee drinkers, to use an audio comparison, I am in the boom box stage.

So what would be a step up?

A Mr Coffee is just fine, but in order for a response from me you will need to replace the power cable with NO less than a 10Ga monster.

• Like 1

A Mr Coffee is just fine, but in order for a response from me you will need to replace the power cable with NO less than a 10Ga monster

Actually, the Mr. Coffee can produce a truly clean, pure, focused brew with only the tweak of a 24 carat gold filter basket.

Dave

• Like 1

The cheapest thing to do would be to keep your existing coffee maker buy a cheap burr grinder and find a local roaster to get fresh beans. Big step up in quality without a huge investment.

What Carl said, except to add that you need a French press. The best part of the coffee is the oils that are in the beans. When you use something to brew your coffee that uses a filter, the filter traps the oils out of the coffee. This is the reason for using a dedicated Burr Mill instead of a cheap bean chopper. The chopper gives you multi sized grounds, including fine powder which will pass through a screen and get into your coffee, you don't want that!! A dedicated Burr mill gives consistent sized grounds that will not pass through the screen, but lets the bean oils pass through. A good cup of coffee made this way will have a bean oil slick on top that looks like gasoline on water. Get this thorough and you have just moved up to the Pre-Pro separates stage of coffee making.

Roger

What is yellow cat, tried to look it up and couldn't find it ?

Hit some stupid button need my glasses to read this now.

Did the same thing the other day and messed with the keyboard till I stumbled on the fix. I hate manuals!

I have windows 8 and my fix was to touch the mouse pad on the left side with one finger and slide across the mouse pad right to left with a finger on the other hand.

It worked......go figure.

A question about water for coffee. Do you use tap water, well water, and/or filtered water. My cup this afternoon was made with filtered water from the refrigerator.

I found copper filters on line but I'm afraid they will turn green. I have heard the gold filters improve clarity like lifting a blanket off your Mr. Coffee.

Edited by Tarheel