Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

How is the water quality Eldon? Have to run it through a softener? Any rust?

I am now on city water but have a well that I just use for irrigation. A four inch casing with submersible pump.....about 190 feet deep.

Edited by Tarheel

I am now on city water but have a well that I now just used for irrigation. A four inch casing with submersible pump.....about 190 feet deep.

Time to invest in a reverse osmosis water filter. I ran mine to a tap at the sink and tee'd off to the ice maker. You'll never have to buy bottled water or be able to drink tap water again. I've never had scale on my coffee maker nor has my wife ever had to clean her steam iron using RO water. My espresso machine looks brand new after 8 (?) years.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Carl. Where I want to build the water is significantly more expensive than in town, and for my money it isn't cheap here. I can drill a well there, several people have but I have also been told that the well water would stain all the fixtures. I have been wondering if a RO system would address this.

My parents had well water with an extremely high sulfur content. Unbeknownst to them the diaphragm in their tank was busted and they were getting a lot of rust and iron in their water also. You just about had to hold your nose to brush your teeth, it was disgusting. They had an RO filter at their kitchen sink that they used for drinking water. You couldn't distinguish the taste from the water out of the tap from bottled water. It was amazing.

A whole house RO system would be very expensive I'd imagine. Let me look at the site where I bought mine and see what they have. I'm on my second RO system now. The place I bought this one has awesome customer service and the quality of the components in the filter assembly is much higher than my previous one.

• Moderators

It's good, no rust or smell, no softener used, straight out the ground around 350' can't remember exactly.

My neighbor has a 1000' well and without a pump has 12lbs of pressure, another has one almost 2000' and has about 25 lbs of pressure.

• Like 2

• Moderators
My parents had well water with an extremely high sulfur content.

That's bad, about 25 years ago we shortly lived somewhere that had water like that. If you turned on the shower and walked out to get something you could smell it down the hall, it was like a rotten egg smell.

From what I hear it depends on where they stop when drilling and what that layer is made up of, more than the depth of the well. ? I friend had a well so bad it would stain clothes when washed, they had to drill another and it was fine, they were ready to move if not better.

• Moderators
we shortly lived somewhere

That was your problem brother -- live large!

That's funny, but it's really hard to live large with a smell like someone died in the bathroom. :emotion-41: The just as well pumped the sewer into the house, it was that bad.

• Like 1

If you turned on the shower and walked out to get something you could smell it down the hall, it was like a rotten egg smell.

You smell worse after the shower? Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where the valet had such horrible BO that the smell attached itself to his car and he couldn't get rid of the smell.

• Like 2

My parents had well water with an extremely high sulfur content.

That's bad, about 25 years ago we shortly lived somewhere that had water like that. If you turned on the shower and walked out to get something you could smell it down the hall, it was like a rotten egg smell.

From what I hear it depends on where they stop when drilling and what that layer is made up of, more than the depth of the well. ? I friend had a well so bad it would stain clothes when washed, they had to drill another and it was fine, they were ready to move if not better.

It was when they lived in New Smyrna Beach FL (just south of Daytona). I'm not sure if the issue was the depth of the well or the fact that they were just a couple hundred feet from the water. Behind there house was a waterway called Spruce Creek. Upstream was fresh water, downstream was salt. Depending on the tide, you could catch fresh or salt water fish from their backyard.

• Like 1

Where you been Mark? Been mighty quiet last couple of days ;)

Second cup of 8 O'clock.

Cheers Gents :emotion-44:

Garage/shop cleaning and posting stuff on the Bay, and im just getting started, Cleaning that is. if anyone see's anything they want let me know, should not cost my forum bud's much more than shipping if you really want it, we will deal.

• Like 2