Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Last night got AYCE shrimp and mullet at Coastal restaurant. Hushpuppies could have been better but, pot salad and cheese grit were pretty decent. Only 3 slabs of mullet before I was content.

If I get nothing else this week, I will be content... :)

Or so I say... :emotion-44:

• Like 4

• Moderators
If I get nothing else this week, I will be content...

Now don't be stretching the truth now, I am sure you could think of something. :emotion-14:

Never had Mullet before, but I have never met a fish I didn't like.  

• Like 5

Good morning, Gents . . .

Wish I had enough hair left to have a mullet or a ponytail again! So I do settle for the occasional mullet meal.

Got a friend in north Alabama who does something interesting I never knew about before. He has about a 20 acre lake on the farm with trophy bass in it. In the spring when the water hits a temp in the upper sixties, he stocks tilapia in it. Feeds those bass well. Then, in the fall, when the lake water drops into the upper sixties, the talapia (the ones which have survived the bass and have grown larger over the spring and summer) start getting lethargic and you can just scoot around the lake in a jon boat and scoop the tilapia up with a net.

In the fall, he invites a 100 people over on a given Saturday. Deep fryers and grills are fired up. Scoop nets are used, larger lethargic tilapia are scooped up, cleaned, breaded and fried or grilled right there. The feed bag is on! A lot of fun and tasty too.

Edited by Rhetor
  • Like 5

Twas the day before Christmas

and all through the house

Spotify was streaming

at the click of a mouse....

White gloves were hung

by the tube amps with care

in hopes that Diana Krall

soon would be here...

With Jake on his new bed

and me in my cap

we both settled down

for a long winter's nap....

When out in the music room

there came such a clatter

that I knew in a second

what was the matter....

We dashed to the scene

full of fear and dread

as a heavyset bearded guy pulled away in his sled

I heard him shout as he pulled out of sight

Merry Christmas to Tarheel and Jake.......have a good night!

But under his breath I heard him say

"Where's the hot little LF dang it.....for her I would stay!

Cheers :emotion-44: Gents........and Merry Christmas!

Jake and Tarheel

• Like 10

It is good fried if you know how. Some people, who know how smoke them. They are just good tasting fish, They are a schooling fish, usually caught with a net. Price and availability are sometime iffy since the Japanese discovered them. They can grow larger and are also prized for their red or white roe in cooler time of year, which are also fried. 3rd leading fish I just heard recently in that Omega-3 oil. Eating them since a kid. West coast mullet(gulf) are much better eating than east coast (St. Augustine) which are good enough if fried when caught or smoked. Some folk ****** them when running. A five pound bull mullet is a monster. Typically smaller are taken and eaten.

Traditionally eaten with hushpups, coleslaw,cheese grits, and swamp cabbage if available to be cooked by someone who knows how. :emotion-44:

Figured you would have had dtel...

• Like 3

If I get nothing else this week, I will be content...

Now don't be stretching the truth now, I am sure you could think of something. :emotion-14:

Never had Mullet before, but I have never met a fish I didn't like.  

Yes, they are limits to my contentment. Ready for some foods like maybe ham, pumpkin pie,mincemeat pie w/hard sauce, homemade fruitcake, red velvet cake, etc..dressing...even that inevitable green bean casserole.

Fresh saltwater mullet is always welcome and has better reputation than the haircut. You would like mullet then!

All weekend and up till now and beyond, we are experiencing a regular deluge of rain. Local flooding widespread. Around 10+ inches so far... :) Will put a temporary hurting on a burlap sack of oysters friend was wanting for New Years. He is a oyster schucking eating fool!

Nancy is at sister's

Edited by billybob
  • Like 4

Happy Christmas Eve guys. Gonna hide out in the lower level of the house wrapping presents for a while today. Billy Bob has my curiosity going but not too many mullet sources in Colorado I'll bet. Maybe substitute rainbow trout??

Tarheel a poet? Who'd-a- guessed!! Good job. Pats to Jake.

Check back in a while.

• Like 4

Tarheel a poet? Who'd-a- guessed!! Good job

Tarheel is a man of many talents I'm sure.  He gets a guitar a month ago and he's already writing tunes -- well done brother, and Merry Christmas.

And Merry Christmas Eve to the rest of you too! Could be in for a rough one in SoCal...standby, i actually saw a cloud in the sky this morning. But, it's 7:30 and the sun is shining, so no panic yet.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 3

Tarheel a poet? Who'd-a- guessed!! Good job

Tarheel is a man of many talents I'm sure.  He gets a guitar a month ago and he's already writing tunes -- well done brother, and Merry Christmas.

And Merry Christmas Eve to the rest of you too! Could be in for a rough one in SoCal...standby, i actually saw a cloud in the sky this morning. But, it's 7:30 and the sun is shining, so no panic yet.

Thanks, you too!

Tarheel already writing songs...multi-talented. Show us your instrument... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

X brother in law came in town a couple days ago to stay here, daughter, husband and 3 kids came in late last night (with 3 dogs) until after Christmas, Or New Years (I'm afraid to ask). The rest of the family will just come for Christmas day. 

Did they bring the RV?...picturing Cousin Eddie on the curb emptying the shitter. 

• Like 4