Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Roger,

I would love to make the Hope trip someday!  Almost pulled it off last year and had to bail.  I have SOME pics of critters over the past few years.  We got skunked this last year sadly and the freezer is empty.  We LOVE moose for everything now (spaghetti, tacos, burgers,etc) it's a great and healthier beef substitute. 

My wifes family are lifelong hunters, my dad only fished so I've only been on the actual hunt twice now over the past two seasons.  (Though I finished off many a moose as a police officer on the roads).

Anyway - war stories (that are building!) over a beer or two, with good music from good speakers in great company sounds like a blast, I hope to get there at some point, pun intended.

If I can't make it - maybe I can talk the bro and father in law into taking an outsider on this next years hunt.  It's real work, but the setting couldn't be better.  The fall colors are over the top that time of year!

• Like 6

Dave,

man, I would love to do that while I am still young enough to pack out that much meat :P 

The biggest problem I will have is deciding what to shoot one with, but that is a good problem :)

What kind of shots can you expect where you hunt? What range? Brush?

I for one, would love for you to post some pictures on here! :D 

rog

• Like 4

Mark, great to hear about how your daughter turned her life around.  God has a plan for her.

she says that all the time.  in the last couple years she was really down on herself because she was 31, living with her parents (and her kids) when she 'should' be like the other single moms that are working and juggling 2 kids and school and rent and groceries, etc "i'm such a piece of sh*t"  we would constantly tell her that "it takes a village" and just let it be''  "you are taking college courses for your future"  nothing was good enough

NOW - at least since january 8 - she says NOW I KNOW WHY ....if i had a job and a lease and lived far away, i would have quit my job, abandoned my lease and brought my kids to live with mom BECAUSE THIS IS WHERE I NEED TO BE.  this was god's plan all along.  she always called my mother 'mom' and i have always been 'mommy.'  yup - 31 and still calling me 'mommy.'  it works.

life really is remarkable.  never say never.  my mother was always her favorite person in the world.  they are so silly together - always have been.  there is so much laughter in mom's house.  it keeps mom's life stimulating, and laughter IS the best medicine.

on my 50th birthday, she posted( n my facebook) an old pic of me holding her when she was first born.  i will quote her words but will edit some of the 'color' out...and you have to read it phonetically...kids today (30 yrs old)

This is me and u about 30 yrs ago, ur strength n love is what kept me in a stable loving home growing up, ur teaching me these things along w others such as bein stubborn, totally self sufficient when necessary and jus overall BEING A SURVIVOR NO MATTER WHAT is what kept me alive all the years I was gone.. today u r 50 FKIN YRS OLD n our family is all alive n healthy, crazy as ever n most importantly UNITED... We r truly blessed.. I know that Ricky watches over u w such pride, n ur parents r so proud, u r truly their success story bc much like me u were the bad one, but as we know THE BAD ONES R THE MOST LOYAL N DEPENDABLE... I love u mommy, my kids n I r so lucky to have u...

yup...when this girl puts her mind to it, she can move mountains.  and we all live one day at a time.  she has the strength of my mother.  and the mouth of a sailor (or mechanic...or his wife...)

• Like 11

Morning gang

Catching up on the forum fair.

Big Stew talking about the "Standard OC" life style, everyone goes through it. 

The survivors get the hell out, at any/all cost.

First cup down, going for the second :emotion-44:  :emotion-44:

Hobby project engineering/shopping for the day.

Maybe a Nap, onward to another rough day.

Farm run Friday, sighting in the new scope on my 17 as well as the farmers.

70s predicted for the next 7 days.

you know the drill!

Pictures or it didn't happen!

.17 Rem, .17 HMR, .17 HM2, or ??? 

Spill the Dope on Scope! :)

No :pwk_bs:  please! :biggrin:

Rog

Im still on my back-up windows8 mach. no pics anytime soon.

Im feeling lazy, brand new power supply sitting right here In a box, I don't feel like working on Pc's. 

Belgain Waffle and a Nap sound better.

• Like 8

I'll see if I can post some when I get home.  I own a 300 win mag, .30-06 is perfectly fine too.  Some roam the woods, brush.  We hike up above the tree line an look down on them. 

It's pretty cool because the moose are all eaten and it's not just kill something to pose with the carcass. 

Some up here make an all out event of it and load four wheelers to the nines and haul everything out there for a luxury hunt, beer, radio etc.  My father in law is a little more old school and well - I need to hit the gym before I get out there. 

My father in law looks like a tall Sam Elliott type who, no lie, packed a paraplegic over a mountain ridge after he missed a shot at a sheep years ago.  After shooting and missing, the man said "well that was my chance I guess" as the sheep walked over the mountain.  My father in law said "maybe not"  and took him (witnessed) some 600-700 yds farther over a ridge on his back to get another look and the eventual successful shot. 

They had ridden horses to that point and my father in law and another man went after and packed out the sheep after his paraplegic friend shot it.  I'm a desk jockey, I just try to keep up.

Edited by akdave
  • Like 6

Ok - I shouldn't hijack your thread Tar - please bear with me.  This fits this thread because we drank coffee on a regular basis... <_<

post-52637-0-64960000-1455244783_thumb.j

We were flown in, this is the riverbar before the hike up.  Coffee was great!  Very cowboy.

post-52637-0-05760000-1455244724_thumb.j

After the hike above the tree line - the view was highly acceptable imho.

post-52637-0-87720000-1455244826_thumb.j

post-52637-0-60480000-1455245201_thumb.j

(Sorry - had to really compress this one to get it to fit.)

Set up our base camp in a little bowl above the tree line.  We got fogged and snowed in on day two.  We had two of these set up (four of us total). 

post-52637-0-16200000-1455244454_thumb.j

And a view from the plane on the way out.

post-52637-0-09720000-1455244631_thumb.j

• Like 8

Hello and good later evening everyone..............  WOW, so much to read from today!!   MKP 'Boss' very nice story, and thanks for including that letter for us all to read!   :)

The moose topic interesting, I am no gun handler, just a near vegetarian that can still enjoy some stories.!   AKDave, VERY BEAUTIFUL vista photos there!!  I AM impressed!   ^_^

THANK YOU one and all for you compliments on my 'musical journey' thus far............I promise, more to come as this story unfolds  B)

Enjoy the evening my friends...

...........Gary

PS.  it is 10 degrees out there here in MA. !

• Like 9

Edit;  What is going on, every time I quote something it's double, mouse battery ?
too many cocktails?  you're not watching kocktails with khole i hope. 

I can't believe you even knew that was a show.  I had to google it.

i’ve seen moments of the commercial for that show...as i’m reaching for the remote.  Plus i saw a billboard for the show.  sometimes i’m not proud to live here.

• Like 4

dave,

Those shots are absolutely beautiful, are you sure you aren't a photographer?

How bad are the bugs that time of year?

I know Alaska can have some scary bug numbers at times.

Nice on the .300 Win mag!1

My best friends son has a bolt action .50 BMG, but I sure wouldn't want to hike that thing anywhere ;)

How far is the longest shot you guys have taken?

That is a mighty impressive story about your father in Law! A tall Sam Elliot huh? He doesn't have to worry about me, I'm as ugly as I am big and dumb! :)

I hope nobody minds, but keep the pics and stories coming if you have them :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:  :emotion-19: 

Rog

• Like 4

The bugs are almost a non issue that late in the year - in spring/early summer they'll make you lose your religion.

Longest shot for moose I've seen is probably 300-350 yds.

Not a photographer, but an enthusiast and those were all with a phone.

We live in an incredible state that I tell everyone they should add a visit to their bucket list.

• Like 6

Dave,

I don't know if you knew this, but I am a Cardiac Nurse. I was in Electrical Engineering until I dropped out when I got married.

Mom gave my wife and I a 19 day trip to your state when I graduated nursing school and it made my 50th state :)

It was a very beautiful trip, and a whole different world all together up there :)

First Round is on me if you can possibly make it to hope.

Roger 

• Like 7

Morning gang..... a happy Friday to ya all.....

It's a cold one this morning for sure.....just got back from picking up the grandkids....it's a toasty 17° outside.....I think it might reach freezing today....oh boy....and this weekend temps will be single digits...

And when the wind hits ya.....it's just a added bonus.....Yea the shop heater's will be pumping for sure...

Got kinda of a slower day today.... got an old 79 Accord that came to the shop a few weeks ago, might work on that today. I have to rebuild the carburetor on it.....it's been years since I cracked into a carb...kinda looking forward to it...

Hey Dave those are some cool pics.....looks really nice there....

So what you guys up to this weekend?.....I'm gonna try to get my old Sony CD player to the shop tomorrow......been trying to do that for the last few weekend but shit always comes up...oh well

OK gang....wishing all a great day.....

MKP :-)

• Like 7

Happy Friday, all. Just checking in and catching up.

Dave .. love the Alaska pics and stories. The only personal experience I've had was a cruise in the mid-90's on the inside passage and that gave me a big desire to come back and see more. Still have the pics of a humpback whale breaching, sea otters, glacier bay, etc.but there's so much more.

MKP and Boss ....thanks for the follow-ups on your great story.

Cheers folks.

• Like 7

• Moderators

Edit;  What is going on, every time I quote something it's double, mouse battery ?
too many cocktails?  you're not watching kocktails with khole i hope. 

I can't believe you even knew that was a show.  I had to google it.

I had to do the same, I can say positively I was not watching that show and never will. Apparently they will give a show to anyone if that bunch can be on TV, they must have run out of ideas completely,

• Like 3

• Moderators

Very nice pictures Dave, Hunting a Moose would be great, if it were standing on the side of the freezer and as it fell it would clean itself.  :o  Well it looks like I am out of the moose hunting business, probably better off anyway.  :D

• Like 6