Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Roger, I bet your bike on the juice is downright scary. Have you dynoed it? 200HP?

Never finished it to where I was ready to dyno it :)

It was at my buddy Jon Cornell's shop for over a year, and unfortunately he is dead from lung cancer now :(

I already have two spare engines to start a build on a real engine, but I definitely lost steam on the project!

If I had to guess, I would guess it at about 185 rear wheel. Stock 1198cc engines are in the 110 HP range at the rear wheel. I could dump more nitrous but the bottom end won't take it. The cranks start breaking, but I feel the real problem is the main caps. A few real serious guys have added girdles. 220 at the rear wheel is the highest rear wheel that I have heard of from an all engine early bike, and as we know, nitrous is murder on the bottom end compared to an all motor or turbo bike :)

You can check out my dead buddies shop, his wife still owns it. Just do a search for UFO V-Gas.

Jon drove the worlds fastest Top Alcohol bike around 79 / early 80's, with a best of 7.13 in the quarter back then. He also had a 7 second big bore ZX-11 on nitrous, had the first Harley twin cam in the 10s, and later, the first Harley twin cam into the 9's. Jon also built and owned the first second generation V-Max in the 8's. He still owned all of these bikes plus a collection of iconic bikes. The name on his old Top Alcohol bike is Thermo mechanical violence. We all lost one hell of a wrench, a builder, and a racer when he died. Two other bikes he had that really stood out for me were a beautiful Honda CBX, and an original 1 of 500 Triumph Silver Jubilee with "8" original miles on the bike :)

Jon also had a Ferrari that he ported the heads on and added 32 over sized titanium valves too. :)

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 4

I'd rather take my V-Max

I remember when that bike came out in 1985 and I was 22 years old. I wanted one bad in 1985 but I'm over it now LOL. I ride a HD Tour Glide these days. Not quite the takeoff. :)

If Jon were still alive, and you had the coin, he would fix that problem for you. I saw him do a bagger for a customer that would pull the front wheel in a second gear roll on, straight engine and not yanking back on the bars either. It ran 10s in the quarter. :)

Roger

• Like 3

Is everyone else experiencing really odd weather? I know a few on here are from the midwest. It was 66 Sunday, then 52 yesterday, now it's 38 and going  down to 24 tonight, rain, sleet and snow later today. I know the old saying…."if you don't like Indiana weather, hang around it will change"

The "new normal" is that there is no longer a predictable normal.  In Southeast Michigan we've had less snow than Wash.. D.C. this winter.

That is crazy. I cancelled two of my snowmobile trips to the UP for lack of snow, I'll bet they're hurting up north.

My best buddy and a group of friends started going to Colorado every year to ride snowmobiles instead about 5 years ago. :)

Roger

• Like 4

Is everyone else experiencing really odd weather? I know a few on here are from the midwest. It was 66 Sunday, then 52 yesterday, now it's 38 and going  down to 24 tonight, rain, sleet and snow later today. I know the old saying…."if you don't like Indiana weather, hang around it will change"

The "new normal" is that there is no longer a predictable normal.  In Southeast Michigan we've had less snow than Wash.. D.C. this winter.

That is crazy. I cancelled two of my snowmobile trips to the UP for lack of snow, I'll bet they're hurting up north.

My best buddy and a group of friends started going to Colorado every year to ride snowmobiles instead about 5 years ago. :)

Roger

My brother has been to Colorado, Montana, and a few other places to ride. He would fly out and rent a sled. It's more of a husband/wife vacation than a serious snowmobile ride. It's just too far when there's 6-10 of us going and you're towing a 20' enclosed trailer with four sleds. It's more of a powdery type of snow out west. Breaking trails open through the mountains is fun but I prefer the hard packed cross country trails of Michigan. I know the speedometers are off but I've seen 120mph before on a Michigan trail. Even the sleds are different out west. A Polaris RMK (Rocky Mountain King) is a much long machine than standard. It's track is about 16" longer, for stability.

There's something special about riding in northern Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan, they take their sledding serious, probably because it's about the only thing going on in the winter up there. Michigan has over 6k miles of trails. Even the lower part of Michigan isn't nearly as much fun. I have ridden 350 miles in a day before in the UP. Plus we blend in with the local auto traffic. 

It's also about ease of traveling, and cost. If there isn't a blizzard, I can get to the UP in 10 hours pulling a trailer. 

You get me talking about sleds, I'll be here all night :D

I will say this…..I grew up on dirt bikes, quads, jet skis, street bikes, gokarts, and I even raced bikes on asphalt road courses, but NOTHING is as much fun to ride than a snowmobile!

My brother Dave just picked up a new Skidoo, 800cc 2stroke twin. It weighs 410 pounds and has 170 hp, and it's stock. 2.5 lbs per hp is very impressive :D

• Like 5

Just curious Roger, have you ridden a late model snowmobile? With your love of HP and speed, I'm sure you would like it. 

Another Brother of mine has a Yamaha sled that they shoehorned an 1000cc R1 motorcycle engine into it, it's a 4 stroke, gets great mileage but is kind of heavy.

Back in the late 80s, early 90s, Yamaha made a Vmax snowmobile. It was originally a 700cc then an 800cc V4 2 stroke, it was scary fast. A lot of guys would drag race them up at Brainerd Raceway in Mn in warm weather on asphalt. They would put small wheels on the skis. That Vmax engine might be the best sounding sled ever made.

I'm a V4 motorcycle guy myself. I've had about every V4 Honda ever made at some point. Rode a Vmax a few times, nice smooth power rush when the Vboost kicks in, but it was stock. I can imagine what your bike is like to ride.

• Like 4

Good morning my friends................ :emotion-44:

Ok,  I guess I will get a little into the sled talk - as I have noticed Ceptor is very much into it.....   So, for me, I bought my first snowmobile in 1980 and BRAND NEW.   It was the first sled made by one of the big four with an independent front end....   So, some trivia for ya, Ceptor your first guess counts, will it be correct?  (you won't have to go looking it up on the net, as you must already know.....NO cheating  :wink: !)

Enjoy the day everyone  :smile:

...........Gary

• Like 4

Just curious Roger, have you ridden a late model snowmobile? With your love of HP and speed, I'm sure you would like it. 

Another Brother of mine has a Yamaha sled that they shoehorned an 1000cc R1 motorcycle engine into it, it's a 4 stroke, gets great mileage but is kind of heavy.

Back in the late 80s, early 90s, Yamaha made a Vmax snowmobile. It was originally a 700cc then an 800cc V4 2 stroke, it was scary fast. A lot of guys would drag race them up at Brainerd Raceway in Mn in warm weather on asphalt. They would put small wheels on the skis. That Vmax engine might be the best sounding sled ever made.

I'm a V4 motorcycle guy myself. I've had about every V4 Honda ever made at some point. Rode a Vmax a few times, nice smooth power rush when the Vboost kicks in, but it was stock. I can imagine what your bike is like to ride.

My late uncle used to water race an old Rupp when I was just a kid :)

My cousin owned a V-Max sled and it was an eye opener. He had an aftermarket Clutch, pipe, plastic ski bottoms, and a lot of cleats in the tread. That is the fastest sled I have manned personally. I think he rides some wankal engine Ski doo these days.

I also have a buddy that is sponsored by a local dealer. He rides kitty kats and used to have one of the built 1,000 cc Artic Cats on nitrous. I think his present sled is a 700cc turbo on Methanol injection? He put 14 coats of paint on my bike tins for me :)

My best friend farms 4,500 acres and is worth well into 8 figures. There are about 7 of them, all millionaires, and they just fly out and rent big sleds with really long tracks. I have been invited several times but just haven't justified the coin yet. I don't like renting a damn thing, I would rather buy and have something to show for my money, and my pockets are no way as deep as theirs.

Roger

• Like 4

Rog, if I didn't already have two titanium hips, I "might" consider it, but thanks.

Jim,

No excuse, mom is 78 and got back up on skis two years ago after a 30 year hiatus and only fell twice.

You know it is steep when your up hill ski is level with your down hill knee just standing there, and you gotta remember that I am 6'3" and wear a 34" inseam.

I could show you some runs that I would pay to see you ride a sled on your butt, let alone standing up :)

the chute at Jackson Hole comes to mind for one :)

Roger

• Like 2

Rog, if I didn't already have two titanium hips, I "might" consider it, but thanks.

Ahh - another with "twin titaniums". That was the secret weapon I was keeping from TwistedCrank describing riding m bike to Hope!

(Don't tell him the real secret is 2-wheel, 6 cylinder BMW power).

• Like 2

Ahh - another with "twin titaniums". That was the secret weapon I was keeping from TwistedCrank describing riding m bike to Hope!

(Don't tell him the real secret is 2-wheel, 6 cylinder BMW power).

You camping or staying at the Motel 8?

Try riding a V-Max with V-Gas that far and I'll bet you dislocate one of them hips!

That Beemer is a Cadillac for long rides!

Roger

• Like 2

I'm a motel kind of a guy, as is the wife.

No, the BMW bike is actually like a BMW car - on any road. If it Had to be a Cadillac it would be a CTS -V. It's actually a overly large sport bike when stripped of the top and side cases, a 3 minute job. Six of the smoothest 160hp you can imagine. Three power modes, traction/launch control, of course Brembo/Bosch ABS, cruise, heated grips/seats, GPS/satellite radio, etc. Funny now that I have retired I ride less than I did when working. Go figure. The Hope run will be nice as we travel around Ark. 2-3 times each year. The absolute best roads within easy reach of KC.

• Like 4