Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good morning my friends................ :emotion-44:

Ok,  I guess I will get a little into the sled talk - as I have noticed Ceptor is very much into it.....   So, for me, I bought my first snowmobile in 1980 and BRAND NEW.   It was the first sled made by one of the big four with an independent front end....   So, some trivia for ya, Ceptor your first guess counts, will it be correct?  (you won't have to go looking it up on the net, as you must already know.....NO cheating  :wink: !)

Enjoy the day everyone  :smile:

...........Gary

Hey Gary, you are in snowmobile country, it's cool that you ride. You're right, I am very much into them. It's probably not just the breathtaking performance, it's the feeling of being out in the wilderness. It helps when you know the territory, I go with my older brothers who starting riding up north in the early 80s. They always know their way around the trails, it's easy to get lost, and can be dangerous. 

I will guess the first independent front end was on a Polaris, maybe an Indy 500? I think they developed the trailing arm suspension. My second guess would be a Skidoo.

• Like 3

Just curious Roger, have you ridden a late model snowmobile? With your love of HP and speed, I'm sure you would like it. 

Another Brother of mine has a Yamaha sled that they shoehorned an 1000cc R1 motorcycle engine into it, it's a 4 stroke, gets great mileage but is kind of heavy.

Back in the late 80s, early 90s, Yamaha made a Vmax snowmobile. It was originally a 700cc then an 800cc V4 2 stroke, it was scary fast. A lot of guys would drag race them up at Brainerd Raceway in Mn in warm weather on asphalt. They would put small wheels on the skis. That Vmax engine might be the best sounding sled ever made.

I'm a V4 motorcycle guy myself. I've had about every V4 Honda ever made at some point. Rode a Vmax a few times, nice smooth power rush when the Vboost kicks in, but it was stock. I can imagine what your bike is like to ride.

My late uncle used to water race an old Rupp when I was just a kid :)

My cousin owned a V-Max sled and it was an eye opener. He had an aftermarket Clutch, pipe, plastic ski bottoms, and a lot of cleats in the tread. That is the fastest sled I have manned personally. I think he rides some wankal engine Ski doo these days.

I also have a buddy that is sponsored by a local dealer. He rides kitty kats and used to have one of the built 1,000 cc Artic Cats on nitrous. I think his present sled is a 700cc turbo on Methanol injection? He put 14 coats of paint on my bike tins for me :)

My best friend farms 4,500 acres and is worth well into 8 figures. There are about 7 of them, all millionaires, and they just fly out and rent big sleds with really long tracks. I have been invited several times but just haven't justified the coin yet. I don't like renting a damn thing, I would rather buy and have something to show for my money, and my pockets are no way as deep as theirs.

Roger

I remember a Rupp Nitro.

Clutch work is probably the best route of performance gains on a sled, there's an art to getting those things dialed in. I remember hearing a piped and jetted Vmax sled once, it sounded like an late 80s Indycar!

• Like 4

My buddy Kevin Harmon's son Kyle had a modified 700 HP CTS

Why am I not surprised.

You said it yourself Carl, the man has a lot of toys :)

Did I ever direct you to his brother Damon's Facebook page?

He has two Pro BW bugs and not only holds the NA record, but beat all of the Turbo guys at a big shoot out with his all motor car :)

He also has an old Trail ways Bus that he converted and has taken a lot of big acts around the country for free just to hang out with them :)

Rog

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 3

Just curious Roger, have you ridden a late model snowmobile? With your love of HP and speed, I'm sure you would like it. 

Another Brother of mine has a Yamaha sled that they shoehorned an 1000cc R1 motorcycle engine into it, it's a 4 stroke, gets great mileage but is kind of heavy.

Back in the late 80s, early 90s, Yamaha made a Vmax snowmobile. It was originally a 700cc then an 800cc V4 2 stroke, it was scary fast. A lot of guys would drag race them up at Brainerd Raceway in Mn in warm weather on asphalt. They would put small wheels on the skis. That Vmax engine might be the best sounding sled ever made.

I'm a V4 motorcycle guy myself. I've had about every V4 Honda ever made at some point. Rode a Vmax a few times, nice smooth power rush when the Vboost kicks in, but it was stock. I can imagine what your bike is like to ride.

My cousin owned a V-Max sled and it was an eye opener. He had an aftermarket Clutch, pipe, plastic ski bottoms, and a lot of cleats in the tread. That is the fastest sled I have manned personally. I think he rides some wankal engine Ski doo these days.

I also have a buddy that is sponsored by a local dealer. He rides kitty kats and used to have one of the built 1,000 cc Artic Cats on nitrous. I think his present sled is a 700cc turbo on Methanol injection? He put 14 coats of paint on my bike tins for me :)

My best friend farms 4,500 acres and is worth well into 8 figures. There are about 7 of them, all millionaires, and they just fly out and rent big sleds with really long tracks. I have been invited several times but just haven't justified the coin yet. I don't like renting a damn thing, I would rather buy and have something to show for my money, and my pockets are no way as deep as theirs.

Roger

I remember a Rupp Nitro.

Clutch work is probably the best route of performance gains on a sled, there's an art to getting those things dialed in. I remember hearing a piped and jetted Vmax sled once, it sounded like an late 80s Indycar!

Don't remember the Rupp model, but it had a big carb with large aluminum velocity stack that came out into the middle of your crotch! there was actually a cut out made into the seat to accommodate it. :)

Roger

• Like 4

Roger

I remember a Rupp Nitro.

Don't remember the Rupp model, but it had a big carb with large aluminum velocity stack that came out into the middle of your crotch! there was actually a cut out made into the seat to accommodate it. :)

Roger

Haha….I don't remember what it looked like, I just remembered the name….NITRO, has a cool retro name to it.

• Like 3

Roger

I remember a Rupp Nitro.

If I remember correctly, the 700 was a triple and the 800 was a quad.

That puppy would launch real good for what it was :)

Roger

• Like 4

Afternoon gang...

Man all this crazy talk about high powered snowmobiles, watercraft and motorbikes...."you guys is crazy"......lol lol....

Never got into the two wheel thing...but my dad on the other hand was a racing nut...he road raced until his late 60's....I talked him outta it...it would scare my mom...and I must admit I saw him race a few times and he was quite good for an "old" guy...he raced in a vintage class.

I did more of the off road trail riding in my old Toyota LandCruiser...some of that shitt would scare the hell outta The BOSS....she hated steep hills and off camber....she would yell "were gonna roll over" ....lol lol...

Working on a make of care today that's only been in the shop three times in the last 17 years....a VW... I don't do European cars!!

Used car guys asked me to put a "low washer fluid sensor" in it for them...so I'm like ok I'll do that for ya...but that's it...The used car guys really don't sell European cars a lot...

A good day to all....check in later...

MKP :-)

post-58704-0-53720000-1456940709_thumb.j

• Like 6

Afternoon gang...

Man all this crazy talk about high powered snowmobiles, watercraft and motorbikes...."you guys is crazy"......lol lol....

Never got into the two wheel thing...but my dad on the other hand was a racing nut...he road raced until his late 60's....I talked him outta it...it would scare my mom...and I must admit I saw him race a few times and he was quite good for an "old" guy...he raced in a vintage class.

I did more of the off road trail riding in my old Toyota LandCruiser...some of that shitt would scare the hell outta The BOSS....she hated steep hills and off camber....she would yell "were gonna roll over" ....lol lol...

Working on a make of care today that's only been in the shop three times in the last 17 years....a VW... I don't do European cars!!

Used car guys asked me to put a "low washer fluid sensor" in it for them...so I'm like ok I'll do that for ya...but that's it...The used car guys really don't sell European cars a lot...

A good day to all....check in later...

Sorry about all the snowmobile talk…I tend to get carried away. It's just so much fun, I guarantee you would love it. The modern suits will keep you warm.

That's awesome about your Dad, he sounds like quite a guy. Don't underestimate some of those older guys on the track, they'll surprise you…..they did me :D

• Like 4

KC area - 20 miles W in KS. About 10 miles from the Legends shopping area, NASCAR track, Cabelas and about every chain restaurant I can name.
My sister, Annette Gordon, lives in Payola and bought and restored the old circus mansion if you are familiar with that?Roger[/quote

I am familiar with that. My son was a LEO in Paola when first out of the academy. About 15 miles straight south of me.

• Like 3

The modern suits will keep you warm.

The last time I was on one, Polaris and Ski-doo were the big names (early 70's).  We were generally COLD.

That's a long time ago, and like most things, there have been improvements.

My older brother bought a Scorpion snowmobile dealership, about 6 sleds and a lot of gear and parts in 1980. They went to Wisconsin and the Mich UP. I work outside but chose not to play outside, so I didn't go on a trip until 1995. I was instantly hooked when I finally hit the groomed 24' wide trail. I took about 3 suitcases of clothes because the temp was 5, and these sleds go close to 100mph. I wore long johns that first day, and burned up. In the last 20 years I have not wore long johns again. These new suits are much warmer and much lighter, the old ones were bulky. My suit and boots are Polaris brand, and have a temp rating of down to -20 degrees. The hand controls on the sleds are heated. 

Michigan's trails are like a highway system, long straights and you can ride 350 miles in a day. You do feel the cold a little because you're just sitting there.

Wisconsin's trails are more like a cross country motocross ride, you're working more, steering, hanging off, up and down. You build up a lot more heat, and many times you'll unzip your coat to let fresh air in. 200 miles on Wisconsin's trails is a long day.

• Like 4

Good evening friends.....

HA!  Ceptor, well, wrong and WRONG, :lol: I knew you would start with Polaris, because for some reason, that Indy is the first thing to come to mind for most riders.   

Believe it or not, it was Arctic Cat !  Trailing arm and all !  Year?  1979!   Bought mine in 1980 (same model year).  I was at a small Arctic dealer with some friends.  All the usual GREEN striped sleds in a long row in the showroom.  BUT, down at the end of the line was this all black with tri-BLUE striping sled.

Noted that it had NO leaf springs, a really 'wide' ski stance over any sled I had seen and quickly learned that it was independent. This was called the 'Trail Cat'  It cost $1500 and powered by the Suzuki 340 fan cooled motor / oil injection etc.  So there you go  :) ya learn something new when you least expect it... ;)   

Now, if you are talking Canadian brand, they did not get into the independent front end until later.  And that poor sled was SO heavy, you hoped to never get it stuck!   It did not last too long, later they came out with the 'Stratos' which I think had a Yamaha 'pogo stick' type front suspension.

Carl, along with heated handle grips, throttle control (with multi levels of temp.)  and even CRUISE CONTROL!, Arctic Cats have heated seats going on a couple years now....you would be well warmed  :D

I believe Yamaha sleds offer POWER STEERING!   Speaking of Yamaha, Creptor, you knew that they merged with Cat a couple years ago and have been 'sharing' engines and chasis.    :o   Interesting times!

Reading an old snowmobile magazine from a long time ago, the editor wrote in his monthly letter that  snowmobile technology was making advances faster then any other motorsport !   You can look back just five years and see the great changes the occur over that period.

Ceptor is correct, today's clothing is SO effective and light it is amazing!    

Ok, my sled rant for the day  ^_^

Enjoy the evening everyone......

..........Gary

MKP, where the heck is the motor under that VW hood ??  :ph34r:

Edited by Tigerman
  • Like 5

KC area - 20 miles W in KS. About 10 miles from the Legends shopping area, NASCAR track, Cabelas and about every chain restaurant I can name.

My sister, Annette Gordon, lives in Payola and bought and restored the old circus mansion if you are familiar with that?Roger[/quote

I am familiar with that. My son was a LEO in Paola when first out of the academy. About 15 miles straight south of me.

the whole family shows up there in payola for a week every Thanksgiving :)

Roger

• Like 2

Sorry about all the snowmobile talk…I tend to get carried away. It's just so much fun, I guarantee you would love it. The modern suits will keep you warm.  

It's all good... I like hearing about what all you guys do.....I just never had the chance to ride one...... I've rode a few bikes in my day and I liked it... But I just more into my cars...

• Like 5