Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good evening friends.....

HA!  Ceptor, well, wrong and WRONG, :lol: I knew you would start with Polaris, because for some reason, that Indy is the first thing to come to mind for most riders.   

Believe it or not, it was Arctic Cat !  Trailing arm and all !  Year?  1979!   Bought mine in 1980 (same model year).  I was at a small Arctic dealer with some friends.  All the usual GREEN striped sleds in a long row in the showroom.  BUT, down at the end of the line was this all black with tri-BLUE striping sled.

Noted that it had NO leaf springs, a really 'wide' ski stance over any sled I had seen and quickly learned that it was independent. This was called the 'Trail Cat'  It cost $1500 and powered by the Suzuki 340 fan cooled motor / oil injection etc.  So there you go  :) ya learn something new when you least expect it... ;)   

Now, if you are talking Canadian brand, they did not get into the independent front end until later.  And that poor sled was SO heavy, you hoped to never get it stuck!   It did not last too long, later they came out with the 'Stratos' which I think had a Yamaha 'pogo stick' type front suspension.

Carl, along with heated handle grips, throttle control (with multi levels of temp.)  and even CRUISE CONTROL!, Arctic Cats have heated seats going on a couple years now....you would be well warmed  :D

I believe Yamaha sleds offer POWER STEERING!   Speaking of Yamaha, Creptor, you knew that they merged with Cat a couple years ago and have been 'sharing' engines and chasis.    :o   Interesting times!

Reading an old snowmobile magazine from a long time ago, the editor wrote in his monthly letter that  snowmobile technology was making advances faster then any other motorsport !   You can look back just five years and see the great changes the occur over that period.

Ceptor is correct, today's clothing is SO effective and light it is amazing!    

Ok, my sled rant for the day  ^_^

Enjoy the evening everyone......

..........Gary

MKP, where the heck is the motor under that VW hood ??  :ph34r:

Lots of good info Gary. I didn't know the Cat had the first independent front end, I was taking the safe bet with Polaris. I learned a few things today, like Yamaha and Cat merging with info. I do know that Suzuki and Kawasaki motorcycle divisions have combined and shared engineering info.

Gary….do you still ride?

• Like 3

Having a lite cocktail pre-bed.
I missed out on the chicken talk on the other thread before it was locked tighter than Dick's hat band so I thought I'd tell you how much I like chicken here.

I went to sleep last night with a breast in one hand and a thigh in the other; woke up this morning still wanting a piece.

• Like 5

I missed out on the chicken talk on the other thread before it was locked tighter than Dick's hat band so I thought I'd tell you how much I like chicken here.

I went to sleep last night with a breast in one hand and a thigh in the other; woke up this morning still wanting a piece.

THAT is funny stuff. Klipsch Community worthy for sure. And no one was harmed in the telling of this episode.

• Like 3

Slept alone eh?

THAT may actually be funnier and even more Klipsch Community worthy. Well done--

Well he does know my wife.

Off to Atlanta next week for the quarterly beatings at the mothership and then out to the forum recommended Inn of the Mountain Gods with the family for spring break. Hope there is snow for the kids.

Having to muse over potential opportunity to move to the east coast as in FL.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 3

root canal yesterday, my tooth still hurts.  i think the dentist must have beat the crap out of the gums and soft tissue--still can’t chew on that side.

You know Big Stew what they say about not being able to chew - its the root of all evils. (Sorry)

• Like 3

Is Chaparral still around?  They were the hot rods of the snow mobile world back in the day.  Ever since I moved south I haven't kept up. 

No more Chaparral, basically just the big four remaining.

That's classic….bravo :D

• Like 3

Good morning... :emotion-44:

Sorry to hear Steve and hoping that added pain will subside for you.

That is right Ceptor... (the Big Four)  Many years we were all wondering if Honda was going to step in with a sled of their own.  I just checked the web and even up to as recent as 2015  SnowGoer mag reprinted an article about it.  Honda has always been a member of the International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association  :smile:

At one time, there were 170+ companies making them !!

To answer your question Ceptor...   Well, I have not ridden in a long time.   My trailer and sled still has a registration sticker dating 2008 !   The sled is now 12 years old and has only 840 miles on it !!!!!!   :wacko2:   Buddy of mine calls me on it every fall, wants to buy it, but, I just know if I sell it I will kick myself in the arse.   :ohmy:    The snowfall has been very unpredictable here in the NE.  and this year, we had all of 4 snowstorms dropping only 2 to 3 inches each time then melt.  This is the first winter we have had GREEN GRASS all winter!   So, the sled just stays indoors in the attached garage looking like new.  

Sorry to the longish post............have a good day everyone....  I'll check in later on..

......Gary

• Like 5

NE could be short for Northeast, then where does the "E" come from. Or it could stand for New England. Or it could be the Postal abbreviation for Nebraska, but I don't think Tigerman was going postal. Perhaps it stands for Nowhere Else or Nowhere Especially snowy. :-)

• Like 7

Slept alone eh?

THAT may actually be funnier and even more Klipsch Community worthy. Well done--

Well he does know my wife.

Off to Atlanta next week for the quarterly beatings at the mothership and then out to the forum recommended Inn of the Mountain Gods with the family for spring break. Hope there is snow for the kids.

Having to muse over potential opportunity to move to the east coast as in FL.

So you spent all these weeks building and perfecting your fence building skills only for the next owners to enjoy the fruits of your labor?

At least we have QC documentation here in th Community should inspectors pose any questions.

Hope the new tenants appreciate your efforts.

• Like 3