Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Well got the shower cartridge replaced last night with the borrowed tool. Amazing what having the right tool can do for ya. Noticed a crack in one of the plastic parts when re assembling, Moen is now sending some new ones of this part also. Now I still have a very, very slow leak from the overhead shower head, just enough to make a very small puddle in the bottom of the shower overnight. Need to replace the "volume" cartridge now, the first one was the "thermostatic" cartridge... Hey Moen send me some of those also... What a PITA

You're working on a single handle device?

• Like 3

1,000,000 miles with no major engine or transmission work was not unheard of.

Is that LS based engines or what?

Small block Chevrolet and Northstar powered.

Small block Chevrolet held up a bit better if you beat the snot out of them but both would last if well maintained.

Most ran 24/7 through 3 shifts of drivers.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 4

Small block Chevrolet

Which is 1950s technology LOL.

I do think an LS bottom end is good for 500K but haven't proven it yet. I'm approaching 250K on mine.

Much has been updated through the years but basic design was very similar.

Most modern engines should make 250,000 miles without difficulty.

Around here most rot away before they reach that mark unfortunately.

• Like 5

• Moderators

Sure, it took two motors to make one

But it's still better than a ford. :ph34r:

Obviously, you never owned a 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 four-door…...a true "chick magnet", back in '72 that is...

I knew I would run across some ford people, my friend had one of those cars, it actually looked pretty sporty for back then.. 

• Like 4

Morning gang...

I feel what you guys are say about the cylinder wall... the pic makes it look alot worse than it is. There's no major scoring on the walls.... yea the cross hatch has worn off a bit... will it use alittle oil???? maybe??? Will it be a crop duster really doubt it.... Now if this was a 4cylinder.. oh yea out with those pistons, inframe overhaul!!

I miss doing this stuff. :(

so what do you do?

• Like 5

• Moderators

Sure, it took two motors to make one

But it's still better than a ford. :ph34r:  

Elden,

I have a Ford out back with 297,000 miles on it that still runs and has never been apart, so top that.

Rog

I would top it if i had some Chevy emblems, I could scrape off the original ones and add the new ones and it would be better right off the back. 

I had 2 Fords myself  69 AND 76 pickup's, I just don't like the newer models. it seems like they have gone out of there way to make them more complicated than it needs to be. One thing about Fords when you go to the parts house to get something you just about need to know what month it was made in, many things were changed a few times a year, 2-4 different parts for the same model year.

I never had a problem with my old ones, can't lie about that.  

• Like 5

• Moderators

Morning gang...

I feel what you guys are say about the cylinder wall... the pic makes it look alot worse than it is. There's no major scoring on the walls.... yea the cross hatch has worn off a bit... will it use alittle oil???? maybe??? Will it be a crop duster really doubt it.... Now if this was a 4cylinder.. oh yea out with those pistons, inframe overhaul!!

so what do you do?

He's a Chevy mechanic  :D  :o ........couldn't help it.

• Like 5

Morning gang...

so what do you do?

Woodworking now, mostly speaker cabinets, subs, audio racks, receiver cabinets and repairs. Related things of that nature.

I can no longer work on cars and trucks mostly due to nerve damage and arthritis, other health issues as well but don't want to bore everybody with details.

• Like 4

Morning gang...

so what do you do?

He's a Chevy mechanic  :D  :o ........couldn't help it.

Mostly GM products but have worked on just about everything.

• Like 5