Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
Some outdoor lighting.

I love the way that looks, but the back yard is my favorite, looks like a great place for gatherings. i now remember when you posted about installing the front lights a good while back, and your gazebo also.  But you can really see what it looks like in those pictures, very nice.  :emotion-21:

• Like 5

• Moderators
I don't get it. Why do you need/want street lights in front of you house?

I'm not sure of his answer but if it's like where we live which is country, it's VERY dark at night, you can not see anything, plus it makes the front of the house look nice.

For a few weeks after the hurricane with no electricity if you walked out into the driveway without a flashlight you would walk into your car without seeing it.

• Like 4

It's like Elden said. We are in the middle of 60 acres of tall hardwood forest. There is no seeing at night without good lighting. Wish I had a dozen more to be honest. Check out the map below. That's my house in the middle.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.840477,-86.5853569,408m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 3

I love the way that looks, but the back yard is my favorite, looks like a great place for gatherings

Thanks! At the far left of the deck you can two lights over the grill/smoker. I bent conduit into shepherds hooks for those. They are easily my two favorite outdoor lights around here. So nice to actually see your cooking efforts after dark. I know a lot of folks use low voltage, but all of the outdoor lighting seen in those two photos is 120v.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 4

• Moderators

It's like Elden said. We are in the middle of 60 acres of tall hardwood forest. There is no seeing at night without good lighting. Wish I had a dozen more to be honest. Check out the map below. That's my house in the middle.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.840477,-86.5853569,408m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The best neighbors are not as nice as no neighbors, privacy is priceless imo...... Lived in a city and the suburbs in a subdivision, but when we moved to the country we found we could never go back. Great looking spot.

I love the way that looks, but the back yard is my favorite, looks like a great place for gatherings

Thanks! At the far left of the deck you can two lights over the grill/smoker. I bent conduit into shepherds hooks for those. They are easily my two favorite outdoor lights around here. So nice to actually see your cooking efforts after dark. I know a lot of folks use low voltage, but all of the outdoor lighting seen in those two photos is 120v.

I like the idea of the shepherds hooks for light, it reminds me of how it was done a long time ago along piers and docks, always like that look. And even when smoking it tends to run into the night at times, and especially when entertaining.

I was thinking about building another smoker and move one out by the bar, if I do I may steal that idea.  :lol:

• Like 6

For a few weeks after the hurricane with no electricity if you walked out into the driveway without a flashlight you would walk into your car without seeing it.

My daughter and I walked around the block after Rita.  I shut my flashlight off and gave out eyes a few minutes to adjust to the darkness.  Neither my daughter nor I could see our hands when extended straight out in front of us.  It was neat but a little eerie as well.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Exactly, you could walk up to a car and turn off your light and even after a few minutes still not see it.   But there was no electricity for a few hundred miles, it was dark. Now at night you can see areas of the sky kind of lit up from towns even with there small size. 

Yes it is eerie and neat, the only small spots of light was from helicopters 60 miles away rescuing people in New Orleans. It was also extremely quiet, you could hear a cat walk across our gravel driveway at night.

Steadily drinking coffee right and most lights require cable SO  were not to far off topic...not to far at least   :o  :lol:

Edited by dtel
  • Like 6

• Moderators

Our neighbor has one 1/4 mile away but it's not natural gas so you would only hear it for a couple of hours in the evening. Without a supply of fuel we only ran ours long enough for everyone to shower in the evening (cold water only) and have a little light before we went back to candles and flashlights, luckily we had piles of candles the wife got somewhere cheap, still have a bunch left over. 

For the working people...................................the weekend is getting closer.....

post-9700-0-50780000-1468427868_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 5

I put them all on switches so I can turn them all off when needed.

Certainly, these lights are all on a couple of switches. When we expect evening guests or spending time outside after dark, they are on. Most nights the lights are on for only an hour or two. 

• Like 5

• Moderators
Seriously though, we've had parties with 100 people. Flashlights just wouldn't cut it. Maybe issue miners hats? 

That could possibly be very cool, although you would have to be careful where your looking because that's where the light would be pointing! :o  :)  

• Like 6

Seriously though, we've had parties with 100 people. Flashlights just wouldn't cut it. Maybe issue miners hats? 

That could possibly be very cool, although you would have to be careful where your looking because that's where the light would be pointing! :o  :)  

Could  be a lot of fun.  Like a party game.  Better yet fit gopros on the helmets too.

• Like 3

dTel, sounds like you did the right thing with the up lighting! Yeah, the tikki torches are messy, some I have seen burn down = catch fire !!, also smokey too ! (sorry MKP......I see you have them...maybe you could add a comment?)

Morning all....

2nd cup going down.... and will be on the way to the shop soon..... today is HOT HOT HOT and sticky.....

Yesterday we had a Fed-x guy bring some parts to the shop, he told us he was from Calf and has only been here a few months. He asked us how the he!! do we stand this humidity? We told him OH I's get worse than this :o lol lol

The tiki torch thing.... so far they do not bother me.... for me the smoke is not that bad and as far as the mess.... my fingers get some soot on them when I fill em up... but no biggie for me.... I do have plans to make them more stable....

A report on the new coffee maker we got ...... Bunn A-10..... LOVE IT :emotion-21::emotion-21: We also tried a new coffee this morning..... All these new coffees are fun.....

Travis.... yea I got your PM haven't forgot about ya ;)

Wishing all a great day..... the weekend is almost here for us working peeps....

MKP :-)

post-58704-0-89820000-1468503167_thumb.j

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE
  • Like 5