Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

LF's 2.5 year old HVAC went out.  The company that she has a maintenance agreement with came out apparently unaware she had the agreement proceeded to replace an internal filter and charged $671.  Two hours of work. He then suggested she purchase a maintenance agreement.  She told him she has one with his company and he backtracked a little saying there was an internal blockage which would not be seen during an inspection.  He said he did not charge her for the Freon which would have been another $300.

I told her to ask for an itemized invoice.....check it with another company and if excessive dispute the charge with Visa.  What do you guys think?

• Like 2

LF's 2.5 year old HVAC went out.  The company that she has a maintenance agreement with came out apparently unaware she had the agreement proceeded to replace an internal filter and charged $671.  Two hours of work. He then suggested she purchase a maintenance agreement.  She told him she has one with his company and he backtracked a little saying there was an internal blockage which would not be seen during an inspection.  He said he did not charge her for the Freon which would have been another $300.

I told her to ask for an itemized invoice.....check it with another company and if excessive dispute the charge with Visa.  What do you guys think?

I think they didn't hold up the "maintenance" end of the agreement.  He said that she should purchase a maintenance agreement implying that if she did, this type of thing would have been covered.  You had one thus there should be no charge or a small deductible.  Find the maintenance agreement she has and do a little reading.  Sounds like they've been shorting her on her maintenance visits in the past.

• Like 3

Still no AC. He should be finished today. Temp is supposed to hit 100 today so I dang sure hope we have it going. Been a miserable 5 days during the hottet temps so far this year!

I feel for you.  We went without AC for 8 days after hurricane Rita during the hottest part of the summer.  Sleeping was almost impossible.  I hope you get it back soon.

• Like 2

Carl is right imo. The key to this will be the terms of the agreement LF actually has in place, not the fact that the guy tried to sell her another agreement or what he implied. Best of luck with this, Chuck.

• Like 1

One of my best friends owns a Technivorm, and swears he will never own another brand.  I've had a cup brewed from it (although, just one), and it was excellent.

Great.  Now more of my money is going to leave... <_<

We happen to have an extra Technivorm and don't need it... if you have speakers to trade I'm all ears. ;)

I wear the scarlet shipping letter of living in Alaska.  Trades are not the deals they could be...  :)

• Like 2

Carl is right imo. The key to this will be the terms of the agreement LF actually has in place, not the fact that the guy tried to sell her another agreement or what he implied. Best of luck with this, Chuck.

Reading this again, it's a good thing she paid with Visa.  You have leverage.

• Like 2

I think 90% of them are crooks. But hey I'm a cynic.

• Like 2

AC came back on about 5 PM. Quickly dropped the temp to 88 in the house from 91. Slowly bringing it down. Right now, it is at 77. Got a good night's sleep. It is amazing what temperature sinks we have in a house. Hopefully it will stabilize at 73 today. Especially since the heat index is supposed to be 117 today!

• Like 3

Morning gang...... and a happy Friday to all :D

Oh yea it's gonna be a hot one today..... working on 2nd cup and will be outta here soon.... just a couple oil changes today and some :pwk_bs: from the used car guys....

This weekend will also be a scorcher...... like upper 90's with a index of 105+ So this might just be a movie weekend in the house with A/C...... I haven't posted yet but we got a new HT receiver on the 4th of July.... Got a Pioneer Elite SC-95...... and a new Blue ray player...... so for the last week or so The BOSS has purchased a bunch of new Blue ray movies.... Stoney gave it his approval :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

AC came back on about 5 PM. Quickly dropped the temp to 88 in the house from 91. Slowly bringing it down. Right now, it is at 77. Got a good night's sleep. It is amazing what temperature sinks we have in a house. Hopefully it will stabilize at 73 today. Especially since the heat index is supposed to be 117 today!

Rivervalley..... glad to here your A/C is back up and running...... our A/C took a dump about three years ago.... I would fill it every year with R-22.... I milked that out for a few years till it came the one year the compressor had locked up. I told The BOSS it's done for.... That day we got a bunch of window units.... The BOSS will not sleep with out A/C.....
Yea man that head index is a killer...... like I said it's gonna be a 100+ today and nothing feels quite as good when I pull a HOT car in that HOT shop and pop the hood open :wacko: ahhhhhhhh.......

OK gang...... gotta roll......a good day to all.....

MKP :-)

post-58704-0-84940000-1469191516_thumb.j

post-58704-0-46660000-1469191531_thumb.j

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE
  • Like 2

Supposed to hit 100 here in Chattanooga again today. I'm sitting at the shop getting left rear wheel bearing replaced on the Forester. The right was done last year... Should be good for a while, probably trade it off before too much longer. It's got 190k on it, so it's gettin' up there.

Auoto shop coffee isn't bad, either.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 2

Supposed to hit 100 here in Chattanooga again today. I'm sitting and the shop getting left rear whel ;earing replaced on the Forester. The right was done last year... Should be good for a while, probably trade it off before too much longer. It's got 190k on it, so it's gettin' up there.

Bruce

Subaru's eat rear wheel bearings..... I think there was a bulletins on some models..... I've done so many I've lost count.....and I love em when they get seized in  :o

Enjoy that auto shop coffee Bruce  :D

• Like 2

So what happened with this?  I have a lot of HVAC equipment installed and would love to know what "internal filter" was replaced and how that tied into her needing Freon.  What kind of warranty came with the equipment in the first place?  I think she should not only find the maint. agreement, but the paperwork on the original equipment and check the original warranty, get the itemized bill including the specific part with the part number of the internal filter and specifically how much Freon they claimed to add/replace. 

This doesn't sound right at all. 

• Like 2

Carl, an interesting martini article and recipe.  Might give this a try this weekend...Always loved Dean Martin....

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/07/toast-dean-martin-with-his-signature-flame-of-love-martini.html

I thought you knew me better than to recommend that I have an open flame around alcohol.

• Like 2

So what happened with this?  I have a lot of HVAC equipment installed and would love to know what "internal filter" was replaced and how that tied into her needing Freon.  What kind of warranty came with the equipment in the first place?  I think she should not only find the maint. agreement, but the paperwork on the original equipment and check the original warranty, get the itemized bill including the specific part with the part number of the internal filter and specifically how much Freon they claimed to add/replace. 

This doesn't sound right at all. 

Thanks Pete....I just called her and asked her to do just that.

• Like 2

what "internal filter"

The units we have at work came originally with filters right at the evaporator core.  These are industrial and not residential though.

Chuck, along with Pete, Totalcomfort is a great resource for all things AC.  That's all he does.

• Like 2

Supposed to hit 100 here in Chattanooga again today. I'm sitting and the shop getting left rear whel ;earing replaced on the Forester. The right was done last year... Should be good for a while, probably trade it off before too much longer. It's got 190k on it, so it's gettin' up there.

Bruce

Subaru's eat rear wheel bearings..... I think there was a bulletins on some models..... I've done so many I've lost count.....and I love em when they get seized in  :o

Enjoy that auto shop coffee Bruce  :D

In the great scheme of things, the Subaru has been great. I love the all wheel drive and handling. I've not been too happy with the local Subaru dealer, but that's another story.

Bruce

• Like 3