Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Morning gang...

NO SHOP.... NO WORK..... The BOSS and I are off to the ocean..... yea man...... gonna be some "chillin" going onB).....

Grandson on bus..... coffee done.... will be rolling out in a few hours.... gonna be good to get away for a few days....

Check-in later...... a good day to all...

MKP :-)

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Have fun Mark.  Does someone fill in for you at the shop when you're gone on a weekday or is it closed up?

Thanks Carl...

Shop closed.... No lights on..... no one home:P lol lol

That's been the biggest problem over the years when we do take time off.... Not only do we have to come up with vacation money but the loss of income while were gone....

Back in our old life.... When The BOSS and I had "real jobs".... we would put in for our time off.... go away for a week come back and there would be a pay check for the both of us..... not any more... Sometimes I don't know how we do it..... The last few months have been good for us as far as work load.... but as you know all to well the work will dry up quick in the automotive world.... one week we'll have so much work I don't know how I'll get it all done.... then the next week there be just a few oil changes or some kind of BS

• Like 5

Happy Thursday, folks. Just checking in. Probably kick around the yard for a while and play a few tunes waiting for the carpet guy to show. Need to at least get one bedroom re-done. Not a DIY project for me.

Mark ...enjoy your day off. Oldtimer ...thanks for the note on Clemente. Truly an all time great, as was Willie Mays. My list would also include Stan Musial.

Have a good day all.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

On the serious side it's Roberto Clemente day in MLB.  He is in my top five of baseball heroes, and perhaps the classiest act to ever play the game.

I suspect that you are aware, but does anyone else remember the circumstances when Roberto Clemente of the Pittsburgh Pirates got hit number 3,000; and at that point in time, became only the 11th player in major league baseball history to reach the 3,000 hit threshold?

After playing baseball for 18 seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates injuries had limited Clemente to playing in only 102 games during the 1972 major league baseball season; however, he still managed to hit .312 in what we now know would turn out to be his final season playing baseball. 

On September 30, 1972, in front of his home-town crowd in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Clemente hit a solid double for his 3,000th hit, which would ultimately become his last at-bat, during a regular season game, of his distinguished major league baseball career.  Sadly, only 13,000 fans were in attendance for that game.

I say "solid double" because what I found interesting was that during the baseball game played the night before, the official scorer had changed one of Clemente's at-bats from an infield hit to an error.  However, there was no doubt about hit number 3,000.

The reason I started with "remember the circumstances" is because Clemente’s hit number 3,000 came in the last at-bat of his major league baseball career, not because he decided to retire, but because he died in a plane crash after the end of the season while trying to deliver aid to the earthquake victims in Nicaragua during December 1972.

With different circumstances, Clemente may have never been on that flight; however, he had received disturbing information that the aid packages on the first three flights had been diverted by corrupt officials of the Somoza government and the aid never reached any of the victims of the quake.  Therefore, Clemente chartered the fourth plane and decided that he would accompany this relief flight.

Roberto Clemente (may he RIP) never made it to the destination…….

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Thanks Carl...

Shop closed.... No lights on..... no one home:P lol lol

That's been the biggest problem over the years when we do take time off.... Not only do we have to come up with vacation money but the loss of income while were gone....

Back in our old life.... When The BOSS and I had "real jobs".... we would put in for our time off.... go away for a week come back and there would be a pay check for the both of us..... not any more... Sometimes I don't know how we do it..... The last few months have been good for us as far as work load.... but as you know all to well the work will dry up quick in the automotive world.... one week we'll have so much work I don't know how I'll get it all done.... then the next week there be just a few oil changes or some kind of BS

Therein lies the trade off of self-employment and working for a company. I was lucky enough to have worked for a company with great benefits, liberal vacation and co-workers that really are friends. Did that for nearly 30 years, unheard of today. Self employment is being in charge, answering to yourself (family) and making a go of it. But you provide Everything - insurance, vacation, retirement and unless the business is large enough to employe others, countless hours that you must be on site. After so many years with my company I pretty much had the run of the place, 5 weeks vacation, fully funded retirement plan, travelled when I thought neccessary, didn't get rich but could have been much, much worse. Hmmm, why did I retire?!

Continued good business MKP, it ain't easy.

• Like 2

Good Thursday morning <had to check what day it is<

Yesterday hit our local DMV office to get new title on RV, $680 bones.

After Calif  tax's you, then they call everything else a "Fee".

Awaiting orders of roof Vent's/Skylights.

EPDM roof membrain, so it's a piece of cake working/sealing roof work.

New "Toy" GPS came in yesterday, i say toy because it's only $50 bucks off Amazon.

Playing with it a tad last night, Garmin has nothing on this unit.

Our LAST Garmin unit is somewhere off an Arz highway, tossed out the window due to corrupt direction(s)

For two years with many online updates and ZERO company support.

14191987_1131577223552703_4568196632580210024_n.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, richieb said:

Continued good business MKP, it ain't easy.

Thanks richieb...

No it ain't easy..... I do sometimes wonder if I made the right decision 18 years ago.... A story too long to tell how I got the shop... but there I was... standing in a almost empty building.... me and the wife..... she had just lost her job with USF&G... and I had just thrown my A-hole business partner out of the shop...... our 401K.... well lets just say it paid the bills for quite a few years:o.... it is what it is....

If I had stayed in the Army I would have retired @ 37 with twenty years in....... should'a could'a...... this is the road I've chosen..... what a ride:P

MKP ;-)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, minermark said:

Yesterday hit our local DMV office to get new title on RV, $680 bones.

After Calif  tax's you, then they call everything else a "Fee".

Hey Mark you ever think about tagging your 5th wheel with a Main state tag? lots of people do it around here.... RV's & trailers

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Get off the forum and hit the road already.  You're burning daylight!

Yea Yea :D....

The BOSS is getting the crapp together..... can't check-in till 5 anyway..... it's about a three hour drive if there's good traffic on the Bay Bridge...

OK ...... Check-in later with some pics:P

• Like 4

Hello again all.  Chuck the heel - made another whirlwind trip for yet another wedding to your great state, this time to Greensboro.  Arrived Thurs, left Sun AM, with a 4 yo and a 1 yo - we might be nuts...  It went well.  I got my chick fil a fix.

Picked up a surround set last week including a pair of RF 52's, an RC 52 center and Rw 10d sub.  Will likely audition them for a spell in the living room (not the center and surrounds) and enjoy the 2.1 for while and re-sell on CL. They sound great - I supposed secretly I'm hoping to one day get a pair of Khorns for the living room.  ;)

Have a wonderful day!  Happy Friday Eve!

• Like 6

• Moderators
3 hours ago, richieb said:

Therein lies the trade off of self-employment and working for a company.

Very true, but for us the trade off's were fine, we could do things like we wanted and only had one person to blame if things didn't work out. Now what we did was a little different than what MKP and his wife are doing, there are not many different ways to repair a car correctly. We had many different ways to design and build for our customers and we set our hours plus never had a shop to open or close, our work was always on site.

I'm not saying it was easy, but I know MKP and his wife do good work, because they would have not made it this long if work was not done as it should be or the customer wasn't treated right, word spreads fast.

• Like 5

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Meh, just weld that hitch pin in real good. She'll work for a few minutes at least.

That's funny

Mark that picture made me laugh, Ok the trailer has a problem like a tire going out or something. The next thing is it starts moving around and shakes the chains a little which pulls the pin, the next thing after a little vibration it disconnects from the hitch off to the side of the road it goes in a hurry, and problem solved, just drive on..... ;)

• Like 3