Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

21 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Nice on the bowties Mark.............   I have been into TV antennas since I was a little kid  back in the early 60ies.   I would even make designs out of my Erector set and put them up on my dad's garage roof with guy wires and all, even though they had NO function, I just loved seeing them up on the roof :lol:...

Now, how about the antenna  that predated the bowtie design...   There are still some up on roofs around here that were never removed when cable came into being!   I want to go around the city neighborhoods and do a photo survey of some of these antique, remaining antenna installations...  :emotion-21:

I kind of followed the same line of antennas, but i was a HAM @11 years old.

I was 35 when i got sick of paying the Govt a Fee for permission to talk.

Now i promote Rouge.

Ham's have a stick up their azz. and i want NO part of it.

• Like 5

Hear you there Mark.....   I wanted an amateur radio license so bad back in the day, but never followed through after learning code...   I slipped back into 11 meter side band and made some really nice friends there, we had a very respectable group of ham wanabees, and it remained well manured...it really was the next best thing....   I had many an array of antenna's on my parents roof, I still can't believe they let me do all that stuff  (guy stations and screw eyes everywhere!!!), the biggest thing had a 22' boom !

Well, off to bed here, I said my good nights over on RTM a bit ago....

Enjoy your evening...

............Gary

...............-_-

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Tigerman said:

Hear you there Mark.....   I wanted an amateur radio license so bad back in the day, but never followed through after learning code...   I slipped back into 11 meter side band and made some really nice friends there, we had a very respectable group of ham wanabees, and it remained well manured...it really was the next best thing....   I had many an array of antenna's on my parents roof, I still can't believe they let me do all that stuff  (guy stations and screw eyes everywhere!!!), the biggest thing had a 22' boom !

Well, off to bed here, I said my good nights over on RTM a bit ago....

Enjoy your evening...

............Gary

...............-_-

I guess i should have stated "Most" hams iv delt with.

" a very respectable group " is what everyone starts out as, untill someone's dad buy's them a Collins rig for xmas, and then it's Game on.

Could say that about many a hobby.

Code was where we started, and every one ran a "SparkGap" rig cause we had lots of tubes and transformers.

Couple garage fires, many shocked kids.

CB days were in the OC, big antennas, sometimes a little power, fun times. ham just got old and expensive.

Palstar R30A for shortwave is all i do on the bench these days, shortwave is kind of a bi-otch when i can see AM radio towers 1/2 mile away.

Picked up this new rig for talkin on the road, all Mod's fully installed,

What i would have paid for this in the old days, likely $800, $200 on the Bay, imported.

Coffee should be done.

s-l1600ds.jpg

• Like 7

Good morning friends  :emotion-44:

It is here, new denist, new technician, new office = day #1 lets see where this goes :unsure2:

Mark, seems like a nice little radio there!    Our 11 meter side band rigs had some mods too,   most important was the VFO,  which of course allowed us to 'slide' off channel where is was quiet and signals with only 12 watts output could be transcevied over great distances without much effort and that even went for our mobile rigs too!

Still have on of my first Layette base radios.   It was their FIRST transistorised unit incorporating ONE = SINGLE IC chip!!   The tag stating this feature is STILL on the tuning knob.  Date on the rear of the radio is still in tact.............1969   I even had the guts to wire a D-104 to it when Astatic came out with a preamp for that mike !!

We could go on and on...

MIKE, was a little before you, with the call sign...   Mine began with KBZ  :wink:

Enjoy your day everyone..............more later on....

.....................g

• Like 5

Coffee fired up once again

Ladder shopping today, for the price and selection im seeing on the CL

I'll just go Hd and see about a new one.

Original CB lic as i remember was KFL, now it's Roadrunner.......:rolleyes:

Have a Shakespeare "Big Stick" on top of the Cave, but only for repair of the farmer's radios.

This new CBE8900 is my first "11Meter" rig in 30 years.

The Bay is full of this stuff these days. D104 brings back memorys. Gold/silver eagle.

This new CBE rig i have for the truck IS a 10 Meter rig, switched over so easy it's unreal.

http://www.shopzing.co.uk/media/ebay/software/AT5555_to_CB_switchover_radiozing.pdf

13599928_1734795383456352_1643741244905449765_n.jpg

• Like 6

Humid this morning but yard work is done.  I have to put up the 24' ladder in 3 places to blow off the roof:mellow:  Mowing, edging,  blowing the walks, porches, drive, and road.  Pine straw beginning to fall so I had enough to replenish around three large plants:)

Has anyone tried to level a pool table before?  LF's is a tad off.  Rails may need some work too.  Will look for an installer.  I'm pretty sure when the table was moved for new carpet that's when the issue began.

Cheers and have a great weekend....

• Like 5

Tarheel,

Recall as a youth watching a cloth removal and repair. Using a 4 foot level, Mr. Lewis finished up after the refelt by measuring cross and longways and even criss crossing in a slow fashion and leveling by the legs and or shims on the floor(old slate) and then turning his attention to the rails once again using a level and measuring tape. Watched him refelt the rails using many little tacks. He did good work. The owner of the pool hall had him come in and do one at a time every  few years. These tables got set upon at times when no one was watching. Jack the owner of the place spent a lot of time threatening people with expulsion and pointing to the do not sit on tables sign.

The one pic of the table you showed looked like a clean and untorn table. Slate takes a bunch of abuse but can remain smooth for years.. Bet it just needs a tad of work then. The rails can last quite some time before needing foam rubber replaced. Old and decent tables these were, pocket billiard tables. Had mostly 8 foots and a couple of 9 foot. And 1 old English snooker table.

Do not sit on the tables is my takeaway from those days.

Anyway read where you got the pro coming in so, so much for that...:)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, billybob said:

Tarheel,

Recall as a youth watching a cloth removal and repair. Using a 4 foot level, Mr. Lewis finished up after the refelt by measuring cross and longways and even criss crossing in a slow fashion and leveling by the legs and or shims on the floor(old slate) and then turning his attention to the rails once again using a level and measuring tape. Watched him refelt the rails using many little tacks. He did good work. The owner of the pool hall had him come in and do one at a time every  few years. These tables got set upon at times when no one was watching. Jack the owner of the place spent a lot of time threatening people with expulsion and pointing to the do not sit on tables sign.

The one pic of the table you showed looked like a clean and untorn table. Slate takes a bunch of abuse but can remain smooth for years.. Bet it just needs a tad of work then. The rails can last quite some time before needing foam rubber replaced. Old and decent tables these were, pocket billiard tables. Had mostly 8 foots and a couple of 9 foot. And 1 old English snooker table.

Do not sit on the tables is my takeaway from those days.

Anyway read where you got the pro coming in so, so much for that...:)

When ours sat in unairconditioned heat all summer it was professionally maintained each year.  They were leaned on, but never sat.  It's one of those things worth it to pay for, like a piano tuner.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

When ours sat in unairconditioned heat all summer it was professionally maintained each year.  They were leaned on, but never sat.  It's one of those things worth it to pay for, like a piano tuner

That and the bar next door had air conditioning, and the bakery. A convenient place. Agree, let the pro do his thing.

Actually about every year, 2 or 3 of the tables were refurbed, so about every 3 or 4 years they were needing some help.

Notice I did not say upgrade...B)

• Like 4

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:36 PM, USNRET said:

Hot and thirsty after changing out ol' trusty's plugs and wires after 153,000 miles.

We did some PM today as,well.  My son brought his truck and I brought my car to the shop this morning.  It's nice to go up on a Saturday as we're closed for business.  Both vehicles got oil changes,and I rotated my tires.  My son bought 4 tires and we mounted and balanced the new set.  It's great to have access to lifts and tire machines.  We normally have a good visit while we work as well.  That makes it extra nice.

• Like 8