Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

5 minutes ago, dtel said:

Tarheel, get ready, it looks like Saturday/Sunday.... you may have a special guest.

Good luck anyone along the East coast, hopefully it just skips along offshore.  

153139W5_NL_sm.gif

See the very bottom right side of NC....that be me,  Jake, LF, and Karl the water bug (no relation to Carl from Texas that I know of):P

• Like 4

Back to the room now and she's getting back to normal. If she only had the shunt reinstallation we could get out of here after 24 hours.  The abdominal wound is a problem as she needs narcotics to unpack and repack it. It needs to he changed 3 times a week.  We're looking at 3 weeks on the wound vac and trying to figure out a way to do it at home as opposed to admitting her 3 times a week or staying here  for 3 weeks.  I've requested a consult with the wound care doc to discuss options.

• Like 6

• Moderators

Our daughter who is a nurse went through that after an infected c section. The wife would pass out if she tried and they would not let me try, (probably smart).  They let her come home and she repacked and cleaned it herself, probably not a great idea but she really wanted to come home since the baby was home with us already and we would bring him to the hospital everyday. 

It worked out but I would think way off from being normal procedure. 

Considering what has to happen narcotics to unpack and repack is a good idea, I would want/want narcotics to do that to myself.

It's going to workout, just glad it's to that point for everybody. 

• Like 4

Here in Charleston all the beaches closed today and mandatory evacuations are in effect . Seems really strange to me since we shouldn't see much until late Fri early Sat . My place of work closed today until Sun . I work at a downtown restaurant and the hotels had their guests check out at noon today . Fall house tours would have started tomorrow . So a lucrative week turned into a bust . 

My house made it through Hugo so I'm sheltering in place .

Presently drinking Circle K tea sweetened with agave .

• Like 4

Good Wednesday evening to the Forum

CC is handling things just fine, been there done that, Erins oldest daughter Deb just turned 40 yesterday.

Bi-polar thingy in her head snapped when she was 20, been dealing with Doc's/Med's/ and more med's for years.

Wife and i ARE retired, however we know she will be with us forever.

From what iv seen of this generation, they are hard pressed to take care of themself's much less if they end up with their own special youngin.

Impending road trip to LA, truck/tools packed, hope there is NO DAM earthquakes during my visit.   

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

What's the latest Carl?

Ugh, my stress level is through the roof.  Surgery yesterday went well.  Shunt has been internalized and headaches are gone YAY!  That's one less tube she has sticking out of her.  IV antibiotics will still be given daily till Sunday so she's definitely not going home before then.  Her wound vac dressing will be changed tomorrow and they'll make a plan of action at that point depending on how it looks.  We're not really sure which way this will go.  She needs narcotics to have the dressing changed and we're not sure if that's something home health can do.  If not, we may take her home and then go back and forth to Houston 3 times a week (joy).  If that happens they'll put in a pick (?) line which is like a semi permanent IV.  I don't like that idea at all.  They also may elect to keep her there a couple more weeks but we're thinking that's a last resort.  My wife will ask the neurosurgeon today whether oral narcotics are a possibility.  Another possibility is that when they change the dressing Friday they may say she's good enough to take off the wound vac which would make things simpler all around.  It's all really up in the air at this point.  In the mean time my wife and I are burning up the roads and keeping the local gas stations in business.  I came home yesterday evening and will go back tomorrow around lunch.  So far I haven't had to use vacation time and I think my wife has only used one day of PTO.

Thanks to everyone again for all the well wishes and especially prayers.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know it's hard on all of you, but whatever they need to do for the best outcome is best. Hoping the whole family get's a break soon and somewhat get back to normal, everything is going great so far.

Can't blame you with the stress, it's just much harder when it's your kids, Amy is probably taking it better than you two, which is probably normal.

• Like 4

Some wound vacs can be managed at home. Hopefully Amy can go that route and get out of the hospital sooner over later. My mom had a portable one at home and we were able to manage it for a couple of months until she didn't need it. Wound care is so important. I know you guys will do an awesome job with her at home.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

Some wound vacs can be managed at home. Hopefully Amy can go that route and get out of the hospital sooner over later. My mom had a portable one at home and we were able to manage it for a couple of months until she didn't need it. Wound care is so important. I know you guys will do an awesome job with her at home.

How did they manage pain during re-packing the wound?

53 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

How did they manage pain during re-packing the wound?

At first she took Lortab for post operation pain IIRC, but after a while her Docs went to Oxycodone. Your daughter though is likely in a much different place and a local anesthetic might be just the right thing for her. My wife, Michelle, changed the dressing every day religiously for quite a while. We were all glad to finally see that vac go! 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

At first she took Lortab for post operation pain IIRC, but after a while her Docs went to Oxycodone. Your daughter though is likely in a much different place and a local anesthetic might be just the right thing for her. My wife, Michelle, changed the dressing every day religiously for quite a while. We were all glad to finally see that vac go! 

They don't use locals rather morphine.  The Neurosurgeon doesn't think oral pain meds are going to cut it with what they have to do.  As it stands now, she'll have a packing change Friday then Monday at the hospital and depending on how it looks they'll devise a plan for care from that point forward.  We're really hoping for her to be discharged Monday. 

• Like 3