Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Just now, JL Sargent said:

That's one weird looking supercharger. Looks more like a turbo to me?

yea JL it does kinda look like a turbo..... it's a Rotrex super charger..... Not that I have any experience with them..... I just googled S2000 Supercharger and this popped up;).... just messing with Chuck...

I've only built one turbo engine in my day.....

MKP :-)

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Still have a couple of VHF here in the ghetto (shown below). Just saying for folks reading your testing that they should know what their area has so they can match up antenna.

OTA.JPG

Great links you posted, im sure there are more.

No rocket science instruments on this end, i keep it simple.

Mount ant on mast, elevate, auto channel search. turn ant 1/2" repete.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Chuck,

The unwritten rule with such drop-tops is any day the temp is at least 50, the top goes down..  Windows up and heater blasting are OK, but the top MUST be down if the sun is shining and it's at least 50 degrees.   Failure to comply results in confiscation and replacement by a minivan. :-))

I agree for the most part, 50 and up, top goes down, but so do the windows. Turn the heat up if need be, but top down/windows down. LF can get away with it, TH, not so much.

• Like 3

So I had to find out how that supercharger works and its pretty darn neat.

How does the Rotrex work?

Key to the Rotrex supercharger’s unique compactness, efficiency, low noise and reliability is its state of the art traction drive technology.

Great speeds and low noise are just some of the advantages of traction drives over traditional gear transmissions. Traction drives transmit power through friction forces between its rolling elements.

C30_Cut600-300x243.jpg

The Rotrex patented traction drive uses an elastic annulus with a small pre-span to secure contact between the roller planets and the sun shaft with a reasonable force. The patented “ramp effect” increases efficiency and reliability in the transmission by regulating the torque transfer capability on demand through self-adjusting planet geometry.

To enhance performance, the Rotrex traction drive uses a special traction fluid. These fluids are a new family of synthetic hydrocarbon oils and greases offering a series of unique performance advantages. Developed specially for its use in Rotrex superchargers, the SX100 momentarily increases viscosity under high surface pressure, enhancing the traction drive performance by securing the optimum friction between rolling elements while cooling and protecting the system.

This traction drive combined with the latest technology in centrifugal compression, characterized by high adiabatic efficiency and low noise, gives Rotrex superchargers an exceptional competitive edge over any other forced induction solution.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

I agree for the most part, 50 and up, top goes down, but so do the windows. Turn the heat up if need be, but top down/windows down. LF can get away with it, TH, not so much.

A beautiful day here and I saw two S2000 go by with the tops up:o

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MookieStl said:

i once drove from Los Angeles to Oakland in a convertible that i had at the time. the worst car i ever owned--1975 Fiat X9. freezing cold--top down, heat on, and wearing a parka.  fun ride.

• Like 5

In my day and it has been a while, a supercharger was belt driven therefore taking horsepower from the crank to drive it and the turbocharger used exhaust gas to drive the impeller both forcing more of the fuel/air mixture into the cylinder. Turbochargers did not rob hp but there was a lag as it took time for the exhaust to spin the centrifugal compressor and turbos created a lot of heat and required lubrication. Like I said, it's been a while.

For the aviation folks I would equate (in a round about way ...lag...) with a turbojet/turbofan to turboprop. Think about sitting in a large passenger jet while getting close to landing and you hear the engine(s) spool up and....then..feel the thrust. In a turboprop aircraft (jet engine driving a prop) the thrust is almost immediate. Why? In a turbojet/turbofan more fuel in introduced so more exhaust (thrust) is created. In a turboprop the engine is running at 100% RPM but when more power is requested the propeller blade angle is increased, takes a larger bite and produces immediate increase of thrust.

Different issues yes, just my lame attempt to state the response times of the two (turbo / super) charging technologies.

• Like 4

Morning gang....

Rolling out to South Philly this morning..... oh yea going to China Town.....

It's gonna be a nice day and there was no work on the book today other than the used car guys stuff..... so The BOSS closed the shop and made it a China Town day....

God food, good friends awaits...... a good day to all... still gotta pickup the grandson, 

Later...

• Like 5

Look at what I got Carl;)...... told ya I'd get a "red" key......lol lol

One of the guys that came over Saturday from thecarversite rolled up with a He!!Cat...... When I opened my front door to greet him I saw it in my driveway......I'm like "dude you dive a He!!Cat!!" It is a very cool car.....

No he did't let me drive it......just got to hold the key.....

and this was the only pic I took........lol lol

IMG_20161015_190006.jpg

• Like 5