Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

56 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

OK, been thinking some more.  

Am I in trouble? :mellow:

This is what I keep seeing: Hitting something directly with a hammer will impart more energy than if something is placed between the hammer and what's being impacted.  

" In the typical system shown in  FIG. 6 , the combined spring rate of k1 and k2 converts a portion of the kinetic energy created by the impact wrench into potential energy, thereby diminishing the kinetic energy transferred from the impact wrench to the fastener and reducing the amount of torque delivered to the fastener. "

^ A quote from the patent attachment 

It seems that what the weight is meant to do is not bounce back and receiving and delivering the hits from the impact. Here is the US Patent for the socket. I haven't had time to read it all, but what I did read made it make sense. 

https://www.google.com/patents/US9463557

• Like 2

On 10/25/2016 at 10:53 AM, dtel said:

I don't know what happened last night, I quoted Carl and I couldn't post anymore, every time I did that quote and my words would show up in the new post ?

I restarted it this morning and it seems to be working.

Just now happened again. I clicked the cursor at the end of what I had typed and held down the backspace and it all went away, then I had to go quote you again.

When I highlighted the whole quote, then hit backspace, it would remove the quote but retain the person being quoted.....Hope that made sense. 

• Like 3

Although I have made a few chips hit the pan, I don't claim to be a Machinist. I have a side business and a part of that is a machine shop. This evening i was finishing a repair on a bell housing that's off of an industrial machine. Its major diameter is 28" and I only have a couple of machines that I can machine something that large. Here is a picture of it in a lathe that can swing 32" x 120+" I had just finished the face and the bore was next. From there, a new array of threaded holes to get the stresses away from the repairs. 

Any machinist here? 

20161026_175009.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Being a country boy from SW Arkansas, maybe I am in the wrong place...kinda looking for "coffee, biscuits, and gravy".

Sausage gravy and biscuits.....one of my favorites:D  Never tried to make them but order them when eating out.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Weber said:

Although I have made a few chips hit the pan, I don't claim to be a Machinist. I have a side business and a part of that is a machine shop. This evening i was finishing a repair on a bell housing that's off of an industrial machine. Its major diameter is 28" and I only have a couple of machines that I can machine something that large. Here is a picture of it in a lathe that can swing 32" x 120+" I had just finished the face and the bore was next. From there, a new array of threaded holes to get the stresses away from the repairs. 

Any machinist here? 

20161026_175009.jpg

dtel thinks this picture is too suggestive:o

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Looks like BeniFlores joined the forum two hours ago and has some garage doors to sell:wacko:

You have no idea how many of those knuckleheads I flag as spam everyday. There's locksmiths as well.  Both of them operate scam businesses that offer low cost home repairs over the phone then gouge customers after the repair.

• Like 3

Morning gang...

Just got the grandson on the bus.... 2nd cup done, getting ready to roll out as always.... The BOSS going to moms this morning she'll be at the shop later this afternoon. till then I'll be holding the fort down;)

8 hours ago, Weber said:

Any machinist here? 

Not a machinist by any means.... but I love playing with a lathe. Got the brake lathe in the shop and my dad has a little Smithy lathe.... it's a cool little machine....

I had a 05 Accord towed in the shop Tuesday. It was towed in from another shop, they couldn't figure it out. It came from a real good shop in town. It came from Jeff's BMW shop. He runs a real good shop and is a smart guy.... So I'm thinking if this guy through the towel in this one's gonna beat me up.... I got the scoop on what he did as far a diagnostics.... Died while driving... cranks but "no start"...... no spark...... no check engine light.... no codes stored.... and before it got to Jeff's shop the customer put a fuel pump in it thinking that was the problem...

So I start doing my thing..... Verified the no spark and went from there..... My scan tool was able to communicate with the engine ECU, so I knew it wasn't a ECU issue and again there were no code to help me with a diagnostic path... There are a bunch of relays that control the ignition and engine computer...... two relays power up the ECU and fuel pump and one power's up the coils on the car... I pulled off the fuse box cover to expose the relays... I didn't think it was the ECU relays cuz the ECU powers up..... I could see were Jeff had been in there... he had the relays terminals marked for his testing... he was on the right path...

I tested the relays and they all worked they way they should..... but I noticed as I was trying to start the car there was one relay buzzing... It was the relay that powered up the coils.... Even though I tested it I swapped it out with another good rely..... still buzzing.... Hmmmmmm..... then it hits me... I know whats going on..... I looked up the electrical circuit for the coils... I wanted to see were it was grounded..... Found where it was grounded... on the intake manifold under a cover.... pulled the cover off and there it was...... I touched it and it was loose... oh yea that's it.... Put a 10mm wrench on the bolt to tighten it up a bit.... turned the key....... started right up.... yea man, customers very happy:D

A good day to all...... gonna make some more customers happy..... and make some $$$$$

MKP :-)

• Like 4