Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 hours ago, Weber said:

That is really sad. I don't cut a down unless I have to...even if it's only what I call a weed tree. The picture in the article look to be pines. The pines in this area are a shallow rooting trees and root out rather than deep down. 

I have harvested (for heat) a few dozen Ash in only a few years. They're dying and falling fast due to the Emerald Ash Borer. Unfortunately, the Ash tree has no rot resistance: It goes from standing to rotten in a short time. If it's seasoned and dry, it has plenty of heat. If it's been on the ground very long, it seems to take more btu to dry it than it produces.

I've been doing my part reforesting the yard.  A couple of weeks ago the neighbor in back wanted to cut down a pecan which was pushing their fence.  I ended up letting him but got to keep the wood at least.

• Like 4

Hey folks ...happy Saturday. Just checking in before I take my computer to the Geeks for a thorough check. Email got hacked last week and some creeps later tried to sucker me into giving them control of the 'puter for a 'security' check. I told em to go ***k themselves and changed all my passwords, but am still a little apprehensive so I'm gonna take advantage of annual fee I pay the Geeks just to make sure. Will be offline for a little while since I really don't like to use my phone for internet.

Back soon. Cheers.

• Like 6

Good day gang.

It was 74 yesterday and the current windchill is 20, can anyone beat a 54 degree temp change in less than 24 hours?

I'm in the middle of a small home remodeling adventure. I removed 35' of interior wall last week, 23' was load bearing. I turned 2 small living rooms into 1 large one, it measures 24'x28', and it opens up into the kitchen. I removed an 8'x8' red brick masonry fireplace front, a mantle high stone front will replace it. All new hardwood   and tile instead of carpet, and if the money holds out, I'll venture into removing a kitchen.

Wish me luck!

• Like 4

Morning all....

We made it to the ocean, we left kinda late. Got down here around 7:30, traffic wasn't that bad. We'll be down here for a week. 

Really nice weather today, just went to 7-11 for half & half for the coffee. Coffee is good:emotion-21::emotion-21:....

Chuck....get your 'puter checked out and watch out for those hackers....those bastards are everywhere:ph34r:

BSM..... That's really sad with trees dieing. I've been checking out some reports on the drought in Calf....... reservoirs drying up, water tables dropping, man it's not good.

In our neck of the woods we have the Gypsy Moth to deal with. The moth has been spreading on the East coast. It likes hard wood trees, Oak trees seem to be it's favorite. Every year we have the Forest Service come on to our property and look for any sings of infestation. Not that we have alot of property....we have about 1/2 acre but about 35 Oaks on it. The Forest Service will also leave the property owner with information about theses bastards, what to look for and numbers to call if you find them. If the infestation is bad enough they will cut down all the affected trees.

Another man made problem:(.....

We got one big Oak taken down the begining of this year. No moths, it was just old and rotting out. That will be the heat for this year, got most of it split. 

Check in later....

MKP :-)

• Like 5

Stained and sealed the LF's screened in porch yesterday and did the same to my front porch today.  LF stopped by and we took the bubble out for spin.  Heading over to her place to watch This Old House and have a cocktail.  Cold tomorrow so glad I got a drive in today.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  Any plans for Thanksgiving?  I will be having an early one tomorrow and another Thursday:rolleyes:

• Like 4

Good Sat afternoon.

Rain, kind-of.

Back on the Lathe, half way point on my Ant/Rotor parts.

Bloody Mary and a Maduro.

For the last few days iv been in my "New" machinery space, (Wifes Garage).

Was going to come on here and bi- otch that it sure would be nice to have some Tunes, then i remembered

wifes garage is set up with Bic Venturies and a couple old beater Bose, Rack mount Pyle am/fm CD, totaly spaced it being there.

guy-with-antenna-on-head.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Weber said:

I've never worked with Pecan wood. Are you going to have any of it worked into lumber?

It's been cut into 2 to maybe 21/2 foot logs.  I don't have the tools to do much with it, although lumber would have been great, there really wasn't enough to get out of it since this was not a fully grown tree.  Pecan is a lot like hickory in terms of working with it.  Most of it will probably go for BBQ, which it is quite good for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It's been cut into 2 to maybe 21/2 foot logs.  I don't have the tools to do much with it, although lumber would have been great, there really wasn't enough to get out of it since this was not a fully grown tree.  Pecan is a lot like hickory in terms of working with it.  Most of it will probably go for BBQ, which it is quite good for.

I have about an 80 year old pecan that I was thinking of turning into a stereo rack. Never worked with pecn either, but I would like to do some. I have some 6 inch logs drying, but this old pecan tree will make 10-12 logs 8 to 10 feet long just from trimming it this winter. I hate to take it all the way down since it has been a fabulous producer, but the city has butchered it keeping it off the power lines.

• Like 4

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I'm in the middle of a small home remodeling adventure. I removed 35' of interior wall last week, 23' was load bearing. I turned 2 small living rooms into 1 large one, it measures 24'x28', and it opens up into the kitchen. I removed an 8'x8' red brick masonry fireplace front, a mantle high stone front will replace it. All new hardwood   and tile instead of carpet, and if the money holds out, I'll venture into removing a kitchen.

Wish me luck!

That does not sound like a small job, but I like the idea of bigger rooms with less walls. :emotion-21:

Good Luck

• Like 4

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Rivervalleymgb said:

I have about an 80 year old pecan that I was thinking of turning into a stereo rack. Never worked with pecn either, but I would like to do some.

I made a stereo rack /Tv stand with a neighbors Red Oak, we had to take it down, beetles killed it. The tree was about 3' thick and about 70' tall, he almost cried when it died but we had no choice. 

We cut it into 10' lengths, loaded it into my trailer and brought it to a sawmill, he gave me enough to make a stereo/Tv stand and I still use it.

I did work with a little Pecan but it was small stuff , it was somewhat like Oak to work with. This is one piece that was handy, it's about 15 years old and a little beat up, it holds candles for and scented oils. The top is Oak, Mahogany, and Pecan, the box is Mahogany. 

house.jpg

• Like 5

• Moderators

Another little box, this one was made to hold my Mothers ashes, it was my sisters idea that I do it for her, it was not something I wanted to do. 

The box is 1 1/2" thick Sassafras, with a pine top and bottom with mahagony at the very bottom, and on the two stripes it's inlaid Mahogany.

house-11.JPG

• Like 5