Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

oh my... please let me bring my ride & let you work on it :huh:

jk.  I've read your posts.  if we had an op to cross paths, I'd think we'd have NP doing business together.

me - even tho I tried to get a comp day off added to my long weekend, I'm back in my own office for a day at least, before hitting the road again, doing what must be done.

have a good day all.

• Like 4

• Moderators
21 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Got to visit with Carl Saturday and pick up the sub/amp I purchased from him.

Nice job with the yeti, and Carl's slushy looks good, you just have to be careful with those. 

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Also got to play with Carl's great dog Otto. Here he is daring me to take that dog toy away. Fun times.

Looks exactly what he's thinking.

Well if it's one of the subs Carl built you know it tough and will not fall apart because all the joints are darn near perfectly fit.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

I think there called wrenches:blink2:

That tool box is kind of scary, it takes a special kind of person to have a tool box that neat, now if you don't use it it's understandable but I know you use it. :ph34r::P

Some call them wrenches but many call them food, electricity,  paying bills, those people are the ones keeping everyone from having that dumb look on your face when your broke down on the side of the road, then these people are priceless. :emotion-21:

• Like 5

• Moderators

I have never heard one but looking at the design it should preform well. I just love the sound of a folded horn sub, my favorite kind of sub. If you never had one before it will sound a little different, to me they sound better than direct radiators. imo

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

The young couple came over last night for a few hours.  We played this game called "Speak Out". It was a blast, we played the adult version.

Sounds like fun, but looks just plain wrong, like some kind of medical device :huh: now that I know what it is I need to go watch the Boss video.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, dtel said:

Well if it's one of the subs Carl built you know it tough and will not fall apart because all the joints are darn near perfectly fit. 

This is his during the build.

102_3245.JPG

The link is clickable and you can see a larger picture there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Nice tools Mark, just curious what brand tools you use?

Mostly Snap-On but also..... Mac, Matco, SK, Craftsman, KD, Armstrong, Gear Wrench, I.R. and even some Harbor Freight... I even have alot of Honda special tools that most shops don't have.

Only the Snap-On guy comes around the shop and he might stop in once a month....If I need anything I just stop by his house on the weekends. Were kinda buds and he knows his not gonna sell me a whole lot. 

Once and awhile there be a new tool truck guy stop in the shop and he'll bring in all his nice shiny tools. I'll tell them, "I'm not being rude but your not gonna make any money in my shop." There's not a whole lot I need. 

This is my main box.....It's about 26 years old....it's two big Mac boxes with side cabinets butted up together.....12' long

MKP :-)

IMG_20161128_175255.jpg

• Like 6

• Moderators

It takes a bunch of $ to fill those, but more important to have them with the tools needed.  

Everything takes 3 times longer without the right tool, if it can even be done at all, non mechanics know this from experience, we usuialy don't have best tool for everything we're trying to fix.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Mostly Snap-On but also..... Mac, Matco, SK, Craftsman, KD, Armstrong, Gear Wrench, I.R. and even some Harbor Freight... I even have alot of Honda special tools that most shops don't have.

Only the Snap-On guy comes around the shop and he might stop in once a month....If I need anything I just stop by his house on the weekends. Were kinda buds and he knows his not gonna sell me a whole lot. 

Once and awhile there be a new tool truck guy stop in the shop and he'll bring in all his nice shiny tools. I'll tell them, "I'm not being rude but your not gonna make any money in my shop." There's not a whole lot I need. 

This is my main box.....It's about 26 years old....it's two big Mac boxes with side cabinets butted up together.....12' long

IMG_20161128_175255.jpg

Dang.....that's a whole lot of toolboxes. Pretty impressive. Can I borrow a wrench!

29 minutes ago, dtel said:

It takes a bunch of $ to fill those, but more important to have them with the tools needed.  

Everything takes 3 times longer without the right tool, if it can even be done at all, non mechanics know this from experience, we usuialy don't have best tool for everything we're trying to fix.

And a lot of know-how to use those tools correctly.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dtel said:

but more important to have them with the tools needed.

+1

My automotive start was at a Jaguar/SAAB/Lotus/Ferrari dealership and later was factory trained in automatic transmissions. In that time, I was bewildered by tool boxes that cost more than all of my tools and the car i drove. Usually, the boxes were stocked with tools that costs less than what I would have in sockets alone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Mostly Snap-On but also..... Mac, Matco, SK, Craftsman, KD, Armstrong, Gear Wrench, I.R.

Nice

.Have a lot of Snap-on. Like the screwdrivers, but they used to not offer a good ratchet. Have a few Mac ratchets with straight, bent, long, and short handles. My made in the 80s Mac impact has whipped countless new impacts. Not sure about now, but they used to knot have pliers and sold Channel  Locs.  Armstrong has mad tools that don't break. Gear Wrench wasn't offered then but since then I have ratchet wrenches and the Xtra long snap ring pliers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Weber said:

My automotive start was at a Jaguar/SAAB/Lotus/Ferrari dealership and later was factory trained in automatic transmissions.

I guy I worked with back at one of the Honda dealers  worked on Jaguar and some other European cars back in the late 70's early 80's. He would talk about some of the nightmare jobs on the old E-type Jags. The standard book times for some the repair and service work on them is crazy....  He told me a valve adjustment on some of the models was around 16 hours:o

2 hours ago, Weber said:

In that time, I was bewildered by tool boxes that cost more than all of my tools and the car i drove. Usually, the boxes were stocked with tools that costs less than what I would have in sockets alone. 

OMG yes the cost of toolboxes is unreal. 

The box in the pic to the far left was the 1st one I got. I got that one new in 89... paid around $4500 for it...... the one closer in the pic I got used about 12 years ago paid $1300 for it...

A new box of that size today would be from $20-$25K whether it be Mac, Snap-on, Matco. Snap-on would be close to that $25K mark. 

What would really piss me off back at the dealers were these young guys that hired and with in 6-8 months they would buy a big tool boxes but they had like no tools. It was so dumb...I would help out some of the younger guys that came into the dealer. I would lend them some tools and told em what they should buy. You wouldn't borrow a tool from me more than three times.... 3rd time you needed to buy it... I would tell these guys upgrade your box when you can't fit anything else in it. But they would buckle under the pressure of those tool truck maggots.... and a lot of us seasoned tech would tell em if ya buy a big box don't come asking to borrow tools you should have bought....   Every time I upgraded my tool box I had to.... I have no plans for upgrading my toolbox... Got too much audio gear to buy:D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

IMG_20161128_175255.jpg

Looking good Mark.

Over the years iv had a few as im sure most heere have also.

Now dialed in on retirement i slimmed my self down to One set like you have here....but it;s stuffed.

A man can NEVER have TOO much tool storage:emotion-21:

• Like 4

Evening Gang

Mission accomplished today.

Played with the new Jensen install in the Dodge, GPS works well, Programmed a nice english chicks voice.

Ask the Farm boys about a TIG/DC welder Rig, Looked around, as i thought they were everywhere.

At least eight welders i found looking around, six were DC and they were Millers, the Bad Boys of the welding trade.

Problem is they are all the size of MKP's tool box. huge, no way i want to move those things around the homestead.

They told me take anything i want as long as they have a working one, they dont care.

Could NOT take them up on the offer(s).

S0, back TIG shopping tonight,

Coffee is Perkin:emotion-44:

Appraised the wife of my work being impeaded by lack of machinery.

All she said was BD present, get one, BD in two days.

She never ask the price, good wife:emotion-21:

13286503195_fd555f6564_m.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, minermark said:

A man can NEVER have TOO much tool storage:emotion-21:

When The BOSS and I first got together.... many many years before this shop thing we have. We were talking about what bills we each had. My weekly tool bill came up and she asked me "when is it going to be paid off?".... I said it'll probably never be paid off"  She really didn't understand.... I finally said something like "I'll always have a tool bill as long as I'm a mechanic!!" .... It wasn't until she she started working in the shop some 18 years ago that she got it.... Now I tell her what I'm looking for and she'll find it;)

God I got it good.....  I got a woman that love Klipsch/audio gear, she buys my tools and loves to go to the junk yard..... one of our 1st dates was to the junk yard...

• Like 9

Just now, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

When The BOSS and I first got together.... many many years before this shop thing we have. We were talking about what bills we each had. My weekly tool bill came up and she asked me "when is it going to be paid off?".... I said it'll probably never be paid off"  She really didn't understand.... I finally said something like "I'll always have a tool bill as long as I'm a mechanic!!" .... It wasn't until she she started working in the shop some 18 years ago that she got it.... Now I tell her what I'm looking for and she'll find it;)

God I got it good.....  I got a woman that love Klipsch/audio gear, she buys my tools and loves to go to the junk yard..... one of our 1st dates was to the junk yard...

Yes you do have a rare find, it took me 30 years in the OC and a few wifes before i figured out, STOP Marrying Models!

Get one that's real, Some people get lucky as you have and it works out.

As everyone knows these day's 60% divorice rate, i bet it's 90% in the OC:P

• Like 7