Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Problems in paradise.  The wife is unhappy with the results of our Bunn BXB Velocity Brew using freshly ground whole beans.  Her main complaint is inconsistent results; sometimes weak, sometimes strong.  Secondarily, she feels it costs too much compared to ground.  

She feels the "Velocity" is the problem.   She feels the water has too little opportunity to extract the full flavor from the grounds.  Over the holidays we'll set up some blind testing using a Mr. Coffee, Hario V60 and the Bunn, comparing freshly ground beans to Folgers, or the like.

Your thoughts?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Well it looks like our bud Weber was the first to page 1100.  What should he win boys?  A toaster?

I have a good toaster. I'd like to have a pair of 70th Anniversary Khorns, but the Anniversary LaScala will do. :wub:

Tigerman, that's great that you do that. :emotion-21: 

30 degrees, hope you don't have to ride far to the event today. 

13 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

inconsistent results; sometimes weak, sometimes strong.

I don't do the fresh grind, but... unless the velocity changes, I don't see how it makes the inconsistency. What else could be a variable - beans size, type, amount, phase of the moon, mood? Is it both flavor and color that's changing? Your kitchen appliances might be all rebelling. Is your toaster consistent?   

• Like 5

The amount varies.  The cheapskate in her recoils at the amount of freshly ground coffee it takes to produce strong enough results.  She feels the Bunn is too fast.  The hot water has too little opportunity to extract flavor from the grounds unless the ratio of scoops to cups of water is increased.

We don't have a toaster.  We use a toaster oven to make toast.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm assuming you're using Bunn filters?

Yes Carl,  

Which brings up another issue.  The official Bunn filters tend to let the grounds over the top and into the brew when brewing 8, or more, cups.  I absolutely hate finding grounds in my cup of coffee.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tigerman said:

This morning, I am off on a freshly polished iron horse in these (burrrrrrrrrrr!)  30 degree temps this morning for my rider's club final event today....   Again, we raise money all year with our own 'Mystery Ride and pigroast for the 'Grey House' downtown, and provide Christmas gifts for about 35 kids... :emotion-21: (we also donate some $$ to the Shriners)

and for this you get a BIG LIKE from me... awesome stuff Gary:emotion-21::emotion-21:

MKP :-)

• Like 8

First cup of Cameron french roast down. This is a good coffee. Waiting on breakfast pizza to finish in the oven. I didnt think it would take a hour and half, at least i know for next time. The Beatles are playing, snow is on the ground, the tree is going up. My kind of winter day. I cant wait until i am done with school so i can enjoy these more often and not stress about school, one more year.

Anyways take care everyone and have a wonderful day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

The Bunn uses today's filtered water to push out the equivalent of yesterday's filtered water that has been heated for a day.  That sort of creeps her out.

LOL LOL.... "creeps her out"  sorry Neil, but that's funny...

30 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The official Bunn filters tend to let the grounds over the top and into the brew when brewing 8, or more, cups.  I absolutely hate finding grounds in my cup of coffee.

The only time this seems to happen to us is when/if I use too many coffee beans of grind them too long.

Neil, have you tried timing each brewing cycle with a stop watch or something... what I'm getting at is....does each brewing cycle take the same amount of time?

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Our A10 makes the best, most consistent coffee we've ever had.

I 2nd that... Yes the A-10 is the best coffee maker we have ever owned... and I might add if it wasn't for this CC&C thread we wouldn't have even thought about a BUNN.

• Like 5

Good Sunday Morning gang

New MIG maintenance all day sat, Fan replaced :emotion-21:

Dragged it out the Mancave and fired it up, play with heat/speed, works well :emotion-21:

Ordered up a whole bunch of American Made, Thomas/Betts sta-con spade connectors, because every dam one is oxidized/rusted and/or falling off :o

Untill i know this critter is going to last, i decided NO Argon, instead, 

Running w/Flux core wire so i did not buy gas this time around.

Dropped the Bench Top TIG idea(s) till next year.

Redesigned my RV Antenna project to use steel, so welding will get it done.

Coffee-a-flowin, cleaning up the mess in Da-Cave, on to the Antenna project.

c8f5a1682944350fc9424a8ef0db0b32.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Yes Carl,  

Which brings up another issue.  The official Bunn filters tend to let the grounds over the top and into the brew when brewing 8, or more, cups.  I absolutely hate finding grounds in my cup of coffee.

Something is definitely wrong then.  I've made the max amount in mine and never had that issue.  Maybe there's a little plastic left over from the casting process obstructing the filter housing outlet?

• Like 2

Morning/afternoon all..

Not a whole lot going on today... my bud Tyler couldn't make it over today... I just gotta keep a eye on my man..

The only thing I done yesterday was, I got the F-250 started and moved it around the yard.. I forgot to bring my shop transporter tag home so I couldn't drive it on the road. 

Got a bunch of fire wood split and stacked... so I do feel somewhat accomplished...

Stoney was trying to wake me up around 6:00 this morning..... I was having no parts of it... I sleep with my head all covered up with pillows or blankets and he will uncover me and start bonking his head on my head:D.... it is cute, but at 6:00 in the morning...

• Like 6

Thanks for your comments guys........yes, a bit of a cold ride..........low 30ies, and only 8 miles down the highway at 70mph.  Bit of a windchill factor there...  NO windshield or fairings on my ride, just looks too good without the doodads, just a full face helmet for windshield, good to go.

Our event was a total success!   Here are a few of the photos..IMG_1540_zpsrdbypy10.jpgIMG_1553_zpse6uunkzq.jpg....here is how we organize so that each child gets exactly what they want...  The day we do all the wrapping is an event for us in itself !!IMG_1562_zpsbuicwojb.jpg.......our local NBC new achor interviewing one of the kids...IMG_1568_zpsrytmxvcf.jpg......and......some of our core members for a final photo before departing...IronHorseRoadHousemr_zpsdi8fd51r.jpg

• Like 9