Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

the cops came out.

Paul would be proud

:emotion-21:

That happened to me a several times too. More than once, none of us were old enough to buy what we had and some of what we had wasn't legal, regardless of age. The police would breakup the party, a beer run was made and everyone would be back in 30 minutes...the lot of us were miscreants. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Carl, you have mentioned Bon Ami for auto glass cleaning.  Have you tried Barkeeper's Friend?  Is one better than the other?

Bom Ami is a better choice as it uses feldspar and limestone as it's abrasive base. Both of these are softer than glass. BKF is much more abrasive and can etch glass if not thoroughly rinsed off.

• Like 4

My interest in this hobby wanes at times and then something will spark my interest and it usually ends in me changing something. 

My Quicksilver Audio preamp that I bought used in 2006 is probably 20 years old at least.  It is a "full function" pre meaning line stage and phono stage all in one box.  Faced with the thought of one day replacing it I looked around on line yesterday.   It seems few do it that way any longer.  Separates for line stage and phono pre. 

What are you guys doing?  Oppo?  Bottlehead?  Vintage rebuilds?  Thought about rebuilding mine.  One guy here is slammed as is Terry DeWick.  I also emailed Mike Sanders at Quicksilver Audio.  He will most likely tell me to buy a new one though I don't think he sells anything like mine still.

Ideas?

• Like 6

22 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Yesterday I drove my son's 2008 VW Jetta from DC to Michigan.  He drove a U-Haul with his life packed inside.  Now to carve a new life after police work, without the pressure of needing to make split second decisions with deadly consequences, whether right or wrong.

On a lighter note, I was impressed by the SQ of the Jetta's audio system.  My Pono  player into the auxiliary allowed me to audition the playlist in progress for the 50th reunion of the class of '67.  Those great songs never sounded as good coming from the single speaker in the dash of my '62 Corvair Monza.

Good luck to your son on his move, I'm sure you will like having him close to home. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Went to monoprice.com and found what I think would fit the bill.  If one of you would take a look and give me the thumbs up.

Nimbus Series 14AWG 2 Conductor

100 feet for $31.99

It also comes in 4 conductor if I wanted to hook up both speakers with one run.  Not so sure.....

That's pretty good stuff. Will you wire up bare or banana plugs?

• Like 5

The first snow accumulation in Southeast Michigan.  Everything's closed.  After enjoying some freshly ground 8 O'Clock, it's outside to dig out.

Fortunately, the storm held off until my son and I returned from DC with a U-Haul and got it unloaded into a storage unit.  Only a few flurries as we passed through PA on the Turnpike on Saturday, but dry pavement.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Evening gang...

Our youngest stopped by this evening with her boyfriend and dog.

Here's Emma with her dog Kodi..... 

During the visit we discovered that kodi loves the cat toy! Bought this for our 2 crazy rex brothers. Stoney played with it briefly and boney turned his back on it lol.  I started calling her my little grubbie grub when she was a wee little puppy. Def fits in with our family. The grub that's a dog that loves the cat toy that she could easily crush/tear apart in seconds!  Yet...  she just turned 1 a couple months ago.  Emma has her trained so well.  In the middle of heated tug of war, one word will make her stop and drop.  Absolutely love her.  Emma and grubbie 

received_1859000144343351.mp4

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

My interest in this hobby wanes at times and then something will spark my interest and it usually ends in me changing something. 

My Quicksilver Audio preamp that I bought used in 2006 is probably 20 years old at least.  It is a "full function" pre meaning line stage and phono stage all in one box.  Faced with the thought of one day replacing it I looked around on line yesterday.   It seems few do it that way any longer.  Separates for line stage and phono pre. 

What are you guys doing?  Oppo?  Bottlehead?  Vintage rebuilds?  Thought about rebuilding mine.  One guy here is slammed as is Terry DeWick.  I also emailed Mike Sanders at Quicksilver Audio.  He will most likely tell me to buy a new one though I don't think he sells anything like mine still.

Ideas?

Funny you should ask at this time.

Sat i wired a few G's to the Daughter, New Zealand port visit this week.

Bought one Pre

Two Big Amps

http://www.perreaux.com/

• Like 5

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Chuck, I use a Sunfire Theater Grand IV preamp.  It has a built in phono input besides serving the multichannel set up.  It's also what you might consider old though.  Any hdmi connections I need are run straight to the video monitor.

We have the same brand preamp (TGP-5 here for movies/TV)? Now I'm beginning to feel like an old guy too. :)

• Like 5