Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

My wife lost 15 lbs over the holidays and that ain't normal. She thought it was maybe thyroid dysfunction. She made an appointment. Her blood sugar was 360 as tested by the Doc last week. First question out of physicians mouth: "Are your parents diabetic?" My wife told her they both were. The Doc said, "it was bound to happen then". Genetics strike again.  

I'm sorry to hear that, it can be managed though.

I was on my stress/echo test today. It went well until the end. My blood pressure dropped from 180/80 down to 78/60, my pulse stayed elevated, then I got super dizzy and passed out. Fortunately the nurse knew what to do and gave me 3 glasses of OJ and some crackers. About 5 minutes later I started to feel better, 15 minutes later I was ok to leave. I guess I'll be looking at glucose levels now.

They were impressed that I could almost quadruple my resting heart rate though. I don't know the results yet, but I think my heart is fine.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I was on my stress/echo test today. It went well until the end. My blood pressure dropped from 180/80 down to 78/60, my pulse stayed elevated, then I got super dizzy and passed out. Fortunately the nurse knew what to do and gave me 3 glasses of OJ and some crackers. About 5 minutes later I started to feel better, 15 minutes later I was ok to leave. I guess I'll be looking at glucose levels now.

They were impressed that I could almost quadruple my resting heart rate though. I don't know the results yet, but I think my heart is fine.

i sure hope so.  I did the stress test once and afterwards started feeling really bad...asked the doc if i could lay down. She asked me if i had eaten anything--i said an apple this morning (it was now about 5:30 pm).  She had the nurse get some some OJ and i recovered quickly.  Doc was a bit pissed because she had a dinner appointment and said that she couldn’t let me go until i was back to normal. For me, it was just doing the treadmill test without any food in my system. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

My wife lost 15 lbs over the holidays and that ain't normal. She thought it was maybe thyroid dysfunction. She made an appointment. Her blood sugar was 360 as tested by the Doc last week. First question out of physicians mouth: "Are your parents diabetic?" My wife told her they both were. The Doc said, "it was bound to happen then". Genetics strike again.  

i hope she is okay. i’m getting to that age where i should pay more attention to my diet. i did very good for several years; but, this past year, I’ve been eating horribly.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

i sure hope so.  I did the stress test once and afterwards started feeling really bad...asked the doc if i could lay down. She asked me if i had eaten anything--i said an apple this morning (it was now about 5:30 pm).  She had the nurse get some some OJ and i recovered quickly.  Doc was a bit pissed because she had a dinner appointment and said that she couldn’t let me go until i was back to normal. For me, it was just doing the treadmill test without any food in my system. 

That's sounds familiar. My appointment was at 8:30 am, but a scheduling error had me wait till 10am, and I didn't eat anything before, per their request. 

• Like 4

"Michigan Madman,"  E. J. Potter's ride to be auctioned.  Only two days to place a bid on a bit of history.

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2017/01/24/the-worlds-fastest-motorcycle-e-j-potters-1971-widowmaker-7-heads-to-auction-in-las-vegas/?refer=news

During my misspent youth, I frequented U.S. 131 Dragway in Martin, MI and saw E. J. Potter several times.  In addition to the Chevy V8 motorcycles, I recall his dragsters with Allison aircraft engines.  I especially like the Craftsman wrench used as part of the machine.

Widowmaker-front-970x728.jpg

Engine-1-970x647.jpg

• Like 6

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Fortunately the nurse knew what to do and gave me 3 glasses of OJ and some crackers.

Boy some people will do anything for some OJ and crackers, or just some attention from a nurse. :P

Just kidding, hope they get it figured out for you, as far as BigStewMan, not sure if there is a medicine that could fix him, he tends to get run over by trucks and on a steady diet of ketchup and del tacos, he must be pretty tough to live through all of that. :emotion-19:

• Like 4

Nothing I like to brag about but I am a Type 2 myself, diagnosed about 7 years ago, I'm 64 in a month. Nope, not heavy, got up to about 200 lbs. once and saw a picture of myself at my daughters graduation and that was it. Been a steady 180 since and of late holding a good steady 170-175. I think 175 , 6'1" is a good ratio. Father dies young so not sure if he was diabetic and if so no one was aware, mom was not.

I felt perfectly fine, no health issue what so ever and actually diagnosed myself. I had begun to drink an enormous amount of water, couldn't get enough which was not like me at all. I knew this wasn't normal and after about a month or so of this I started investigating and remember reading something about excessive water drinking and diabetics, Bingo. It is what it is, daily meds,  have a yearly physical, yearly complete eye exam and eat normally. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, dtel said:

Boy some people will do anything for some OJ and crackers, or just some attention from a nurse. :P

Just kidding, hope they get it figured out for you, as far as BigStewMan, not sure if there is a medicine that could fix him, he tends to get run over by trucks and on a steady diet of ketchup and del tacos, he must be pretty tough to live through all of that. :emotion-19:

I wish every day was Taco Tuesday :D

This morning, I tried to replicate what I did yesterday. I did not eat. I went to work and physically got a good workout for 3 hours, until I got very dizzy and then I stopped. I then went to my brother's house to have him check my blood sugar. I didn't feel quite as bad as I did yesterday, but felt bad enough. My blood sugar number was 86. He tested me again 30 minutes later and it was 90, all good numbers. I haven't heard back from the cardiologist about my event monitor findings, or the test they did yesterday, but I have a feeling my heart is fine. I hope to hear from them soon.

• Like 5