Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

6 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Morning all...

Work is picking up a bit....

How you doing Carl is work picking up for you guys?

MKP :-)

I'm cautiously optimistic.  Last months numbers were absolutely abysmal but the last week or so of the month we started seeing a little glimmer of hope.  Yesterday was actually a good day but the jury is still out on this month.

Glad to see it's picking up for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minermark said:

Morning gents

One more rest day should do it.

Feelin much better, 95 predicted.

Sent the daughter for a Donut.

gvv.jpg

Miner, Miner

You are a smart man, recall the donut run! Get out there and beat that heat. Wow, 95 in N Cali?  Been crazy this year everywhere. First you have fires, then floods, now heat? 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic.  Last months numbers were absolutely abysmal but the last week or so of the month we started seeing a little glimmer of hope.  Yesterday was actually a good day but the jury is still out on this month.

Glad to see it's picking up for you.

What about new car sales? Never being in the auto business does one segment trend for the other?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

What about new car sales? Never being in the auto business does one segment trend for the other?

All manufacturers new car sales pretty much across the board are lagging.  There's a bunch of theories as to why but I'm not entirely sure which one to believe.  You would think that with new car sales down, service would be up but that's not the case either.  Dealerships and independents around here are slow.  The quickie oil change places seem unaffected.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Any brick masons here?  LF has brick steps at the front of her place and some of the mortar has disappeared.  She met with a guy that does small masonry jobs and he could not promise that if he tuck pointed the brick that it would be a perfect match.  I have seen walls on houses that have settled and the mortar has been replaced and the repair is like a magnet to your eyes.

Since this is the front entrance and a focal point I am concerned.

Suggestions?

Ah......completely replace or live with differences.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, babadono said:

^Wow, MM a better half that helps move concrete chunks? Awesome. Come to think of it she sounds like my better half, all the help she gives me. We are so Blessed:)

Welp, she wants a "RiverRock" Wall, and i concur.

It would totaly pizz off the neighborhood, Gladys Cravites was glued to her window wile i was manning the jack hammer Monday.

No neighbor has as a clue as to the plan, no one has bothered to ask.........

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Any brick masons here?  LF has brick steps at the front of her place and some of the mortar has disappeared.  She met with a guy that does small masonry jobs and he could not promise that if he tuck pointed the brick that it would be a perfect match.  I have seen walls on houses that have settled and the mortar has been replaced and the repair is like a magnet to your eyes.

Suggestions?

Chuck, I am a mason, grew up with it, it's in my blood! Even though most of my work now is concrete.

Mortar can be colored, I do a lot of custom colored masonry repairs. The key is knowing how much the colored mortar will fade while it's curing (which can take up to 30 days) There's a lot of variable....humidity, wind, sunlight, aggregate size can all effect the final mortar color. The number one reason for mortar turning a different color than the same mortar used previously is the time allowed for the mortar to set before you tool or finish the joints. Even the texture of the mortar can affect the color. A smooth metal tooled mortar joint will be a little lighter in color than a wire scratched joint.

Try to find a mason that knows how to fill small mortar voids, most guys use WAY to much mortar and smear the brick. A hairline crack should be filled with a mortar colored or clear silicone caulk, mortar won't stay in a small crack, or have that mortar joint grounded out.

Make sure they use zinc oxide coloring, the liquid stuff will fade, and will look blotchy. They might have to combine more than one color to achieve the correct look. Pre-colored mortar in 70 lb bags works better than regular mortar with the color added later. Pressure wash the steps to completely clean the mortar, or they'll be trying to match mortar that's colored from dirt.

A lot of people think all mortar is the same, but it can change from day to day.

Got any pics?

• Like 4

On 5/1/2017 at 3:40 PM, Ceptorman said:

Mark, what goes back in there, concrete, grass, gravel?

Concrete slab.

Whoever was the guy that poured the footing for the retaining wall, left "Flashing" an inch higher than the sidewalk.

A real chit job 30+ years and 3 owners ago.

It's been nothing but a dog outhouse for 30+ years. We gonna fix that.

Once slab is done (Both Sides) then, we start the eval on the R&R on the wall.

P.S. this is the short side, on the other side im looking at a 70' + run......:emotion-41:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Suggestions?

muradic acid and not lsd

• Like 3