Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

muradic acid and not lsd

Haha...yea don't consume any muriatic....basically hydrochloric acid. I would not use muriatic on any brick, might burn the face off. Sureclean is a good masonry cleaner. Lime solvent will work.

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 hours ago, minermark said:

Gladys Cravites was glued to her window wile i was manning the jack hammer Monday.

I know how you can fix that, next time that happens take a break, go inside and put on a thong and get back to work :o The look on her face would be priceless. :D

I was just assuming you had one. :unsure:  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

Did you read his first sentance.....Do-it-yourselfer's should avoid muriatic acid where possible.  Instead, try the chemical or mechanical cleaning alternatives suggested below.

Using it will void the warranty on new brick. It's a very nasty chemical, you have to be EPA licensed to get full strength muriatic.

(I will admit, I occasionally use it):D

• Like 4

Not sure why, but I woke up at 4:30 this morning. Couldn't go back to sleep so I have some time to kill before I take my grandson to school. On a bright note, I did buy the Outlaw RR2150 from DLOC13 out of the garage classifieds. New toys are always cool.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Did you read his first sentance.....Do-it-yourselfer's should avoid muriatic acid where possible.  Instead, try the chemical or mechanical cleaning alternatives suggested below.

Using it will void the warranty on new brick. It's a very nasty chemical, you have to be EPA licensed to get full strength muriatic.

(I will admit, I occasionally use it):D

yes I did read it..and I also used it 25 + years ago..on 100 + year old home..for some repairs and repointing . to the front porch/steps...

it was the first thought that came to mind..I just verified it 

with that particular link...And your previous post are the correct

and proper techniques....

it's a really good way to clean the brick and mortar..  you should be able

to take some clean mortar..removed mortar..sample take to your local

brick / cement yard..http://www.specmix.com/product/spec-mix-colored-mortar/ ...this is my local. http://www.cranesville.com..

do not go to your local big box home dis- improvement store..

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

yes I did read it..and I also used it 25 + years ago..on 100 + year old home..for some repairs and repointing . to the front porch/steps...

it was the first thought that came to mind..I just verified it 

with that particular link...And your previous post are the correct

and proper techniques....

it's a really good way to clean the brick and mortar..  you should be able

to take some clean mortar..removed mortar..sample take to your local

brick / cement yard..http://www.specmix.com/product/spec-mix-colored-mortar/ ...this is my local. http://www.cranesville.com..

do not go to your local big box home dis- improvement store..

I like to think we're constantly making improvements. Years ago muriatic was used everywhere, my Dad used to get it pure in 30 gallon containers. We can't buy that anymore. That was my weekend job, cleaning brick homes my Dad just bricked. 

New brick has warnings all over them about not using muriatic on these brick. It can make steel rust instantly, break down some caulking and paint, damage coatings to windows, and the fumes can kill you.

Now we use this....http://www.prosoco.com/sure-klean/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I like to think we're constantly making improvements. Years ago muriatic was used everywhere, my Dad used to get it pure in 30 gallon containers. We can't buy that anymore. That was my weekend job, cleaning brick homes my Dad just bricked. 

New brick has warnings all over them about not using muriatic on these brick. It can make steel rust instantly, break down some caulking and paint, damage coatings to windows, and the fumes can kill you.

Now we use this....http://www.prosoco.com/sure-klean/

yes I was a dumb mason laborer .. they wanted weak minds and strong

backs...as for DEC approved products...or licences to use products..

I don't remember any back then..

• Like 2

Toughest job I ever had as an 18 year old senior summer job "hod" carrier for three brick layers. We are 

talking 1971 and paid $5/hour, huge money for a kid back then. Carrying cinder blocks, pavers, mixing and 

wheel barrowing  cement will make a man out of you quickly. Dark tan and fairly chiseled by mid-summer but all I could 

was go home and go to bed. Those guys worked the shitt out of this punk. You don't realize how heavy a big shovel full of cement weighs when you're slinging it over your head to a scaffold or pushing a full barrow of cement on a 

2x8. I think I need a nap just thinking about it ---

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, richieb said:

Toughest job I ever had as an 18 year old senior summer job "hod" carrier for three brick layers. We are 

talking 1971 and paid $5/hour, huge money for a kid back then. Carrying cinder blocks, pavers, mixing and 

wheel barrowing  cement will make a man out of you quickly. Dark tan and fairly chiseled by mid-summer but all I could 

was go home and go to bed. Those guys worked the shitt out of this punk. You don't realize how heavy a big shovel full of cement weighs when you're slinging it over your head to a scaffold or pushing a full barrow of cement on a 

2x8. I think I need a nap just thinking about it ---

Pfffffft.  There's nothing to it.

giphy.gif

• Like 5