Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Morning gents.  Off to supervise the Pella front door and side lite installation at LF's place.  The two guys were there all day yesterday and admitted they have only been installing for one year.  Left the house unsecured saying they did not have the right screws for the dead lock.  There also is an uneven gap at the top of the door. 

LF paid top dollar for this entry door and the installation WILL be a top dollar install.  I don't mind calling corporate and raising hell. 

So off to work I go......

I hate having people work on my house for just that reason.  There are few craftsmen any more, just glorified laborers with little training.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I hate having people work on my house for just that reason.  There are few craftsmen any more, just glorified laborers with little training.

You got that right. Most people gain a little knowledge and buy a couple tools and they're in business.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, dtel said:

One of the butts are done, another done in another 5-6 degrees, the other two almost 15 degrees.

It's 10:55pm, they have been on for 13.5 hours. It's why I am not crazy about cooking butts.

Taste good to me.:)

image.jpeg

-- Is it just the cooking of butts you're not crazy about?! 

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, richieb said:

-- Is it just the cooking of butts you're not crazy about?! 

Yes, the last bunch of hours anyway, besides that I always appreciate a nice butt.

Last night. it took the the last three much longer, two were done at 1 am, the last one I finished in the oven @375 and it finished a little after 2 am. By this time I had enough, the first 2 were packaged up, the last two I let cool a little and are still in the big pot they were pulled in, I had enough by then. Will deal with them today, sometime.

Originally our daughter wanted some, so I told Christy get two more, if I am going to go through that long cooking time it takes no longer to do two more, silly me. I really like them but it's a job when it takes that long, the last one took almost 17 hours, must have been a tough hog ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

Yes, the last bunch of hours anyway, besides that I always appreciate a nice butt.

Last night. it took the the last three much longer, two were done at 1 am, the last one I finished in the oven @375 and it finished a little after 2 am. By this time I had enough, the first 2 were packaged up, the last two I let cool a little and are still in the big pot they were pulled in, I had enough by then. Will deal with them today, sometime.

Originally our daughter wanted some, so I told Christy get two more, if I am going to go through that long cooking time it takes no longer to do two more, silly me. I really like them but it's a job when it takes that long, the last one took almost 17 hours, must have been a tough hog ?

dtel, are you sure your smoker temp readings are correct?  What temp do you pull them at?  I take mine out at 185-190 degrees.  I can't imagine a butt taking 17 hours.....And, are they bone in or boneless?  

• Like 1

I can’t get out of this place quick enough!  After being physically challenged by that low-life two-weeks ago, another event traumatized me this morning.

Out doing errands and get thirsty. Drive thru a fast food joint and order a soda. at the end of the drive thru lane there is a trash can and i slow to toss my straw wrapper in the trash. The trash can is full and on top is a box...sadly, i saw what the box said.  Colt’s Anal Dousche. A picture of a dude on the cover.  

Why in the world is somebody handling the product while driving through an eating establishment?

You can’t walk around here without dodging condoms on the street or sidewalk (that’s why i don’t pick up money off the ground, for those that read my thread about that a couple of years ago). 

I’ve lived in the city for a long, long time; but, now it disgusts me. Can i make it the last two weeks?

oh yeah, my grandson gets nailed in the head with a baseball last night--a few hours in the ER. CAT scan normal, so he was sent home. Big lump on his head and a headache (at the location of impact).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Clawson, MI

BTW, going to Grand Haven on  Saturday 5/20.  I'll get a selfie in front of USCG station.

nice--i worked across the street at the Group Office--staff position. my former pastor, just yesterday, told me to move back to Grand Haven.  who knows where i’ll end up permanently; but, i’m outta here in two weeks.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

dtel, are you sure your smoker temp readings are correct?  What temp do you pull them at?  I take mine out at 185-190 degrees.  I can't imagine a butt taking 17 hours.....And, are they bone in or boneless?  

I checked it with another thermometer and they were very close, but I ruined one of the cheap little probe kind last night so I will check again when I get another. I really want one of the ones Maverick brand sells, I'm just to cheap to pay $70 but I might since the prices have come down a little and I have been looking at them for a year. It has two probes one for meat and one for smoker temp, or both for meat. Also a very good reputation and replacement probes are not that expensive.

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/digital-remote-bbq-thermometers#/et-732-wireless-barbecue-thermometer-sets/

I smoke at 225 but this time after the first 8 hours I let it go another 50-75 degrees hotter. I pull them at about 193-195. I once tried lower and it still had alot of un melted fat and was tough to pull, I tried 200 and the fat had completely melted away and it was dry and a little tougher. But apparently all butts are different some tougher and some not ?  They all were good, you couldn't taste or tell which was which in the end, I just have no idea why there was such a difference. 

It's a log smoker and I usually use Oak sometimes with Hickory, we have wood burning stove so we always have Oak here, I always use last year's wood for the smoker to make sure it's completely dry and no bark. I didn't understand why they say no bark until once after cooking some butts I put a pile of bark in the firebox to get the smoker really hot, like 350 degrees, and with a little torch let the smoker part catch on fire, this burns the fat dripped from the food and somewhat cleans off the grate. The bark has a strange smell and I now see why they say don't use it if you can help it.

I have never had one go over say 13 hours, I don't know what was going on with that one butt, and it was not the biggest of the four ?

The butts we get here are all bone in, it's bone that's about 6-7 inches long and kind of shaped like a Y or a crooked peace sign.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I’ve lived in the city for a long, long time; but, now it disgusts me. Can i make it the last two weeks?

oh yeah, my grandson gets nailed in the head with a baseball last night--a few hours in the ER. CAT scan normal, so he was sent home. Big lump on his head and a headache (at the location of impact).

Was he at least playing baseball?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I can’t get out of this place quick enough!  After being physically challenged by that low-life two-weeks ago, another event traumatized me this morning.

Out doing errands and get thirsty. Drive thru a fast food joint and order a soda. at the end of the drive thru lane there is a trash can and i slow to toss my straw wrapper in the trash. The trash can is full and on top is a box...sadly, i saw what the box said.  Colt’s Anal Dousche. A picture of a dude on the cover.  

Why in the world is somebody handling the product while driving through an eating establishment?

You can’t walk around here without dodging condoms on the street or sidewalk (that’s why i don’t pick up money off the ground, for those that read my thread about that a couple of years ago). 

Meh, get back to me with some real OC Drama, sounds like just another day in the Paradise of OC.

• Like 2

Good looking pork butts dtel!

Day two at the door installation project.  Lacking confidence in this crew LF called someone higher up. Pella sent an installation supervisor from Greensboro about 200 miles away.  The crew had reinstalled the door for a second time and he had them take it back out.  By 6:30 pm the door had been installed for the third time!  I let them know I was very unhappy and they assured me they would make us happy. 

Don't even get me started on the younger generations work ethic.  Came out of the house once and three workers were on their cell phones.  I'm getting too old for this crap!!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Good looking pork butts dtel!

Day two at the door installation project.  Lacking confidence in this crew LF called someone higher up. Pella sent an installation supervisor from Greensboro about 200 miles away.  The crew had reinstalled the door for a second time and he had them take it back out.  By 6:30 pm the door had been installed for the third time!  I let them know I was very unhappy and they assured me they would make us happy. 

Don't even get me started on the younger generations work ethic.  Came out of the house once and three workers were on their cell phones.  I'm getting too old for this crap!!

you better get for free !!!!

• Like 2