Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I like all the hardwoods.  Mesquite is a nice grain but really hard on blades.  My forte IIs are all oak, but I liked the walnut Quartets I gave my dad.  My floors where they are wood are oak.  Texas is an oak kind of place.  Pecan is beautiful too.  Another hardwood with a nice grain is mango.  When I see someone cutting one down in their yard, I wish I could get some, but it's always already spoken for, then you see all kinds of expensive table tops and stuff made from it.   Nothing gives so much as a tree.

Alot of Oak here also, I have never seen anything made of Mesquite or Mango in person. Our Cornwalls are Walnut and very nice in grain and color. I did built a baby cradle for the first grandkid and a doctor's buggy (not the wheels or axles) for a friend with Mahogany and it was easy to work with. 

The only odd (to me) wood I used once was Sassafras, it was a small box I was asked by my sister to build, for my mother. The main part is about 2" thick Sassafras with a Mahogany base and inlay but also Oak and Pine. I was asked to use what I had and it was on short notice. I barely had enough wood of any kind to make the box, my friend gave me the Sassafras, it was the only piece he had and it was barely enough when cut. It had to be an specific size on the inside, after cutting it there was nothing left over, it was the exact size needed, sometimes things just work out.

I only used it because of the thickness, it made a little better box than what I had on hand. It was to hold ashes and my sister wanted it to be made by me thinking that my mother would like that,  it was no fun. 

house-11.JPG

house-14.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Looking at that pic, reminded me about Guinness, I never liked it. To me it has that taste in beer I try to avoid, like plain Budweiser, that bite or whatever it is ?

Why i DONT drink Domestic. the anser is here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Alot of Oak here also, I have never seen anything made of Mesquite or Mango in person. Our Cornwalls are Walnut and very nice in grain and color. I did built a baby cradle for the first grandkid and a doctor's buggy (not the wheels or axles) for a friend with Mahogany and it was easy to work with. 

The only odd (to me) wood I used once was Sassafras, it was a small box I was asked by my sister to build, for my mother. The main part is about 2" thick Sassafras with a Mahogany base and inlay but also Oak and Pine. I was asked to use what I had and it was on short notice. I barely had enough wood of any kind to make the box, my friend gave me the Sassafras, it was the only piece he had and it was barely enough when cut. It had to be an specific size on the inside, after cutting it there was nothing left over, it was the exact size needed, sometimes things just work out.

I only used it because of the thickness, it made a little better box than what I had on hand. It was to hold ashes and my sister wanted it to be made by me thinking that my mother would like that,  it was no fun. 

house-11.JPG

house-14.JPG

$_1.JPG

• Like 3

22nd cup of coffee since midnight. 3rd of 4 day Program Management Review with 30 some odd attendees from our customer in DC, Atlanta and FL. I am about power pointed out.

Just stopped by for a little sanity and from you guys that tells the tale

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, USNRET said:

22nd cup of coffee since midnight. 3rd of 4 day Program Management Review with 30 some odd attendees from our customer in DC, Atlanta and FL. I am about power pointed out.

Just stopped by for a little sanity and from you guys that tells the tale

Oh how I remember how much fun those were.....sympathy.....

• Like 3

20 hours ago, dtel said:

The more I look at luther's veneer he picked the more I like it, I was stuck on the grain but I love the color also. That Marblewood has a cool looking grain also. I love pronounced grain patterns, kind of the reason I do not care for cherry, to me it's just bland. 

You don't like clear on American Cherry? I love it. But it has to be lacquer or tung oil to make the grain pop. It starts out real light and then just darkens and mellows. It's logarithmic, the older it gets the slower it darkens. Anyway I love it. Wish my RF7 IIs were clear instead of the stain Klipsch put on them.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wardsweb said:

I really like the inlay. Did you router that out and then cut strips to fit?

I just cut out the slots with a table saw to match the Mahogany. The inlay is about 1/4" deep, I have done it a couple of times like that and it's pretty easy. When cutting the grooves I just have to keep reminding myself to keep the slots growing in the right direction, doing all the boards with each pass on the saw or I could never get it to match up all the way around.

I do it this thick because it's easier than working with tiny thin pieces, for me anyway.  

15 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I like all the hardwoods.  Mesquite is a nice grain but really hard on blades.  My forte IIs are all oak, but I liked the walnut Quartets I gave my dad.  My floors where they are wood are oak.  Texas is an oak kind of place.  Pecan is beautiful too.  Another hardwood with a nice grain is mango.  When I see someone cutting one down in their yard, I wish I could get some, but it's always already spoken for, then you see all kinds of expensive table tops and stuff made from it.   Nothing gives so much as a tree.

does that include morning wood...

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, babadono said:

You don't like clear on American Cherry? I love it. But it has to be lacquer or tung oil to make the grain pop. It starts out real light and then just darkens and mellows. It's logarithmic, the older it gets the slower it darkens. Anyway I love it. Wish my RF7 IIs were clear instead of the stain Klipsch put on them.

I do like it, but if I had a choice I would rather something with a coarser wider grain and not so tight. 

This is the Cornwall lll's in Walnut, I just love the change when clear or oil is applied to the raw wood, it comes alive.

Edit; For anyone wanting to know how Cornwall lll's are made ..........

http://www.cyclonecj.com/dtel/Dtelcorns-small/

speakers clll.jpg

speakers.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

Luther, this is the wood I was trying to describe to you, I think they called it Rambling Rose, very odd. I was just wondering how they got it to look like this, I doubt many were made with this wood.

speakers Rambling Rose.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

That's the only picture I have seen of that kind of wood.

I can't wait to see the new wood they are talking about using, distressed oak, could be really nice.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dtel said:

Luther, this is the wood I was trying to describe to you, I think they called it Rambling Rose, very odd. I was just wondering how they got it to look like this, I doubt many were made with this wood.

speakers Rambling Rose.jpg

I think Russ has a pair of (something) in that finish.

• Like 1