Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

My work station is all set up

#1 tool, Big Shade.

Installing a 90Watt LED flood on the front.

Moving ALL electronics from under cowl/faring to "Inside Dry" location.

This one will be the "Cattle Chaser" on the ranch.

Delivery Sat morning, this is one of the Brothers "Fav" rides.

35228358544_ded2cc44a7_z.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, babadono said:

Is it my computer or is nobody really around this freaking Friday

TGI Freaking F

Ok all you retirees can go back to doin' whatever it is you do.

It's Friday again, wow time flies when you're not paying attention. :lol:

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, richieb said:

^^^^^

The rest of the world has always been back-asswards. Who needs Celsius and Metrics anywho? Them's just un-'Merican.

"Give them a Centimeter and they'll take a Kilometer" sounds pretty damn stupid don't you think?!

Hate to say how I learned the metric system when I was young and crazy, grams to oz conversion and kilos. :( 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, dtel said:

Hate to say how I learned the metric system when I was young and crazy, grams to oz conversion and kilos. :( 

Still struggling with it here. If I can find the mile to KM conversion will stop guesstimating when I hear it in metric, in movies and such. Mystyfied in Fl.

:)

• Like 3

The problem is converting.  Try to think in metric.  You already do and don't realize it.  

You know what a 2 liter bottle of Coke is, you don't need to figure out what that is in ounces.  You know that a 2 liter four banger is a small engine and that a 7 liter V8 is big.  It isn't necessary to know that 2 liters = 122.2 cubic inches, or that 7 liters = 427.7 cubic inches. 

It isn't necessary to know that a gallon = 3.8 liters, but if you read the fine print on urinals you'd know that.  You wouldn't buy 3.8 liters of Coke; you'd buy 1, 2, 3, or 4 liters and be done.  There's no reason or need to ask, "How many pints is that?"

• Like 4

6 hours ago, minermark said:

Welp i suppose after this next cup-0-joe

i should demold/prepare molds for the morning process.

98 today

Hey. remember winter???

31683014785_7fd5402632.jpg

Are you still pouring those concrete stone pieces?

That's serious work there.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The problem is converting.  Try to think in metric.  You already do and don't realize it.  

You know what a 2 liter bottle of Coke is, you don't need to figure out what that is in ounces.  You know that a 2 liter four banger is a small engine and that a 7 liter V8 is big.  It isn't necessary to know that 2 liters = 122.2 cubic inches, or that 7 liters = 427.7 cubic inches. 

It isn't necessary to know that a gallon = 3.8 liters, but if you read the fine print on urinals you'd know that.  You wouldn't buy 3.8 liters of Coke; you'd buy 1, 2, 3, or 4 liters and be done.  There's no reason or need to ask, "How many pints is that?"

Appreciate it Neil. Actually that cubic inch to liter conversion is what was really considering. Makes me feel better then about a "how big" comparison. Comes into play when filing same engine, lol. Volvo has the lier mostly so, seven quarts US Gallon. Alwayss check dipstick when serviced. I can cope after all, lol

55 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Worked nearly 30 years for a German engineering/manufacturing company where of course everything was metric, from the machine drawings to the measuring devices we used. An inch is 25.4 millimeters, go from there. The machinists were masters at calculating conversions when programming CNC's. We used to joke with good customers who were trying to dimension a part made in metric, they were measuring in inch and we'd say - "what the helll you measuring that with, a yardstick"? Most parts were within .05 millimeters. A yardstick don't cut it here.

• Like 2

I deal in thousandths with my job.  Overseas thousandths are in microns.  When using a dial indicator changes in thousandths don't appear too large.  Those same changes in microns look huge on a dial. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Still struggling with it here. If I can find the mile to KM conversion will stop guesstimating when I hear it in metric, in movies and such. Mystyfied in Fl.

:)

It's dead easy:  1:1.6.  To be more precise, it's 1.61, or 1.609, depending on how exact you feel at the time.  100 mph equals 161 km/hr (kph is not used).

At more typical speeds, 50 mph = 80 km/hr, 55 mph = 90 km/hr, 30 mph = 50 km/hr.  Two of those are off by 1 mph or so, but are close enough for normal use.

With the higher speeds some vehicles go these days, 240 km/hr = 149 mph, and 320 km/hr = 200 mph.

Going 210 (130) in a 60 (35) zone is a bad idea, especially when you get caught by the same cop who caught you speeding a few months before.  This 22-year-old's Ferrari was impounded for 60 days and he got a 16-month driving suspension.  He really needs to find a better place to speed.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/penalties-expanded-for-ferrari-driver-clocked-at-210-km-h-on-bridge-1.3488362

Cops are really cracking down these days.  Now, going faster than the speed limit by more than 49 km/hr (in Ontario) or 60 km/hr (in British Columbia) means more than just a speeding ticket.  It gets your vehicle impounded for a week, and this may leave you beside the highway trying to find another way home.  Last year, the police set up on Malahat Drive, a mountain pass north of Victoria, on southern Vancouver Island.  They pulled over more than a dozen cars, trucks, and motorcycles, all doing more than 60 km/hr (35 mph) over the 90 km/hr (55 mph) speed limit, and had every one towed away to the police impound lot.  The Golden Age of Speeding in Canada has been over for a long time.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, richieb said:

Worked nearly 30 years for a German engineering/manufacturing company where of course everything was metric, from the machine drawings to the measuring devices we used. An inch is 25.4 millimeters, go from there. The machinists were masters at calculating conversions when programming CNC's. We used to joke with good customers who were trying to dimension a part made in metric, they were measuring in inch and we'd say - "what the helll you measuring that with, a yardstick"? Most parts were within .05 millimeters. A yardstick don't cut it here.

Sometimes you can come close, like a 3/4" (19.05mm) wrench is a near-perfect fit on a 19mm bolt head, and vice versa.  A 9/16" (14.3mm) is a bit loose on a 14mm bolt, and a 1/2" (12.7mm) wrench is a very tight fit on a 13mm bolt.  And we don't use disgustable (adjustable) wrenches unless there's no other option.

With small measurements, like a spark plug gap, 1mm = .040".

With pressures, metric figures make more sense than psi, because 1 bar = 1 atmosphere.    That's easier to remember than 14.5 psi, isn't it?  2.4 bar is 34.8 psi, or 35 psi for non-laboratory use.  And if you see kilopascals listed instead of bars?  Still easy:  100 of those is 1 bar, so 2.4 bar = 240 kpa = 35 psi.

• Like 2