Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Farms raise cows? In Texas there is a significant difference between farms and cattle raising / feed lot. Farms grow vegetation and ranches raise, well livestock.

Mike ... you really did drop your man card like you wrote about earlier -- picking apart everything I say.

I’m from the concrete jungle, anybody that lives and/or works outside of the city is a farmer. 

You speak of ranches as if they are people.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Farms raise cows? In Texas there is a significant difference between farms and cattle raising / feed lot. Farms grow vegetation and ranches raise, well livestock.

If you are big enough, why not do both? My best friend farms over 4,500 acres, has 400,000 laying hens, and oh yea, a few cattle as well. I always buy a side of beef at a time from him  ;)

Roger

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Mike ... you really did drop your man card like you wrote about earlier -- picking apart everything I say.

I’m from the concrete jungle, anybody that lives and/or works outside of the city is a farmer. 

You speak of ranches as if they are people.

But BSM my barb (jokingly) was at Mark. But now that you mention the ranches, yes, in my childhood I lived on a ranch. It (we) raised cattle and had pastures for hay and fields that grew wheat, corn and barley which was harvested to mix with sorghum (purchased) and used to feed the cattle in feed lots. We thought of the land as important as the family as that was what kept us fed and (very little) money for clothes and necessities. Without the ranch we couldn't survive so yes, it was very dear. Sun and rain...too little / too much meant no food, no car, no clothes. Wearing the coat of many patches to school meant ridicule.

• Like 2

@USNRET yeah, i knew you were joking. Did think you were teasing me; but, It’s all good. 

we used to soak tennis balls in gasoline, light them on fire, and throw them around. We didn’t have a ranch. I did visit one of Jack Palance’s ranches a few times. My Pops knew the caretakers and we’d go visit -- first place I ever road a horse. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Honorary Farmer

It seems way back when.....

Meeting up with this "Family", they are Dutch, and everyone knows everyone's business,

so hooking up with this crowd has been slow learning.

One of the things i learned from other farm / ranches, Nobody messes with the Dutch, it seems they ALL know who my buds are and they dont talk chit about me.

it seems everyones general consensus is the Dutch are azzholes and no one can work for them long.

No one can figure out how / why im like part of their family.

So No, no honorary Farmer happening(s)

• Like 3

When I lived in Grand Haven, Michigan, the next town to the south was Holland.  The “V” part of the phonebook was the largest.  I saw bumper stickers that read, “If yer ain’t Dutch, yer ain’t much."

Pissed off one year because the local affiliate delayed the start of the NBA Finals broadcast until they finished airing the local Tulip Festival parade.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, minermark said:

It seems way back when.....

Meeting up with this "Family", they are Dutch, and everyone knows everyone's business,

so hooking up with this crowd has been slow learning.

One of the things i learned from other farm / ranches, Nobody messes with the Dutch, it seems they ALL know who my buds are and they dont talk chit about me.

it seems everyones general consensus is the Dutch are azzholes and no one can work for them long.

No one can figure out how / why im like part of their family.

So No, no honorary Farmer happening(s)

My mom is like that with the local Amish, they have taken her and my kids for sleigh rides out to the wood while collecting Maple Sap and boiling it down, wrapped my daughter up real tight and also had them for supper! Great to hear from you Mark!  ;)

Rog

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Farms raise cows? In Texas there is a significant difference between farms and cattle raising / feed lot. Farms grow vegetation and ranches raise livestock.

The family is known for Hay/Falfa/walnuts/cattle, they deal in whatever suits their land at the time.

This one Farm/Ranch had 60 acres of walnuts, but the trees have reached their 25 years "Cycle" meaning no dam good.

they fenced it off and 55 cows are keeping it mowed for a wile.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, minermark said:

The family is known for Hay/Falfa/walnuts/cattle, they deal in whatever suits their land at the time.

This one Farm/Ranch had 60 acres of walnuts, but the trees have reached their 25 years "Cycle" meaning no dam good.

they fenced it off and 55 cows are keeping it mowed for a wile.

Mark,

That will absolutely ruin the value of those trees for wood harvest, especially veneer harvest! :(

Rog

• Like 3