Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

15 hours ago, dtel said:

Love that floor, good choice, bamboo veneer for speakers could look great ? I don't think all bamboo material looks that good ?

I like to make boomboxes for fun. Used some leftover bamboo plywood that was laying around the shop. I think it did make an interesting finish and was fun to work with. this one has just a couple coats of urethane, someone with more skills than me could probably make a real nice looking pair of speakers.

bamboo.thumb.jpg.48100fd79929db5a04053bbefe3fa3fc.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

I like to make boomboxes for fun. Used some leftover bamboo plywood that was laying around the shop. I think it did make an interesting finish and was fun to work with. this one has just a couple coats of urethane, someone with more skills than me could probably make a real nice looking pair of speakers.

bamboo.thumb.jpg.48100fd79929db5a04053bbefe3fa3fc.jpg

Very cool. Building boomboxes is an awesome hobby, its a fun challenge to balance performance/portability/durability in one small package. What amp did you use? Also, is it a mono-summed network or full range L/R with sub?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, twk123 said:

Very cool. Building boomboxes is an awesome hobby, its a fun challenge to balance performance/portability/durability in one small package. What amp did you use? Also, is it a mono-summed network or full range L/R with sub?

I've used a few different amps but this one has a 2.1 channel Lepai amp. I really like that amp and it is only $25 +/- at PE. It has two channels in stereo and a dedicated sub amp with adjustable x over, and has bass and treble controls for the full range channels. This box had a couple Faital full range drivers for the top end and a 6.5" Tang Band for a sub. Really puts out a lot of clean sound. I also can add Bluetooth for about $12 with another gadget from PE. I get a kick out of building them. Three chambers and done.AB.thumb.JPG.9acb0ab82a43916bdaca34ae76a20cd8.JPG

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, richieb said:

A few years ago the Big Three bike makers, Honda, Kawa and Suzuki made a "gentlemen's" agreement limiting their big bore hyper bikes to 300 kilometer/hour or 186 mph. They were assuming their self policing would keep government(s) off their back and force limitations. Kinda sorta worked until BMW broke out of their mold with the scorching 1000RR with nearly 190hp. Now you can visit most any dealer drop down $15K and walk away with a near 200hp, 450lb. rocketship that shreds the gentlemens agreement. 

A few years ago?  You must be nearly as old as me.  The famous gentlemen's agreement applied to bikes that were produced starting in 2000.  According to the link below, the agreement lasted for about 8 years, until the Ducati F4 R 312 came along in 2007, and then the very fast BMW S1000RR appeared in 2010.

Interestingly, the 193 mph/311 km/hr top speed was attained only by one Italian magazine, MotociclismoSport Rider magazine's extensive test of the bike produced only 185 mph/298 km/hr.

Most of those hyperbikes had larger engines and more power than the contemporary sport bikes, but by now most of the top sport bikes are making 180 hp or more, which is as much or more than the early hyperbikes.  One would think that there would be a handful of 200 mph/320 km/hr bikes in the showrooms by now, but I haven't heard of more than maybe the Ducati Panigale R.  Maybe I'm just not up to date, since I don't follow the latest bike news anymore, but could it be that almost none of the manufacturers want to sell bikes that any joker with the money and a strong right wrist can go out on the road and crash with the shocking number of 200 mph/320 km/hr!!!  That would be the kind of front page news that no company wants to be associated with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_motorcycles

When a dim-witted rider from Victoria posted a video of himself riding through heavy traffic at 299 km/hr/186 mph on a highway with an 80 km/hr/50 mph speed limit, people and cops were really looking for him.  The bike was a blue Yamaha R1, and another R1 rider reported that he was at a convenience store when somebody tried to put a citizen's arrest on him, believing he must be the evil speeder.  Eventually, the speeder turned himself in and was charged, but the police could not prove that he was the rider in the video.  He had no licence and the bike was registered to his mother.  It was seized and sold at auction for only $4700.

Here's a news item about the case that includes the video he posted on YouTube.  Riding fast is one thing, but flying through traffic like that is extremely dangerous and is the kind of thing that causes motorists to hate motorcyclists, which means simple encounters in future can go bad, just because of one moron.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/crown-cant-identify-motorcyclist-clocked-at-299-kmh-suspect-walks-with-video/article15079659/

And as if that wasn't enough, the rider now has an alert on his passport, causing him to be refused entry to Mexico twice: 

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/mexico-twice-boots-island-man-cleared-of-299-km-h-ride-1.781735

• Like 2

Stayed at LF's place last night so I could get an early start on washing, clay barring, and waxing the bubble.  Finished in about an hour and it looks spiffy.  Didn't drop the clay bar once!

LF was off to play tennis in this heat/humidity:huh:  She called afterwards to say the appliance store where she purchased he Green Egg called to say they were going to replace her cabinet/surround under warranty.  The cabinet had been leaking allowing the charcoal to get wet and the finish on the counter had faded badly.  Good news:)

Since it's taco Tuesday we are meeting friends at K-38 Baja Grill tonight for Mexican cuisine.

Jake is  laying on the floor in AC with the ceiling fan going and says hey!

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 hours ago, richieb said:

^^^^^

So, we are to believe the Only reason you stayed at LF place last night was to get an early start on car maintenance??

Really?? No, I mean Really?!? 

If so he's too old, I think it's just a :pwk_bs: story, we know the truth. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dtel said:

Guess no one had enough coffee this humpday.  

I had 1/2 cup at 0615 @ work this morning. Nothing else all day and I do mean nothing; it was a long day. Now at ~1730 it's time for air conditioning, snack and something stronger than coffee (even more than that strange brew I made with gifted brewer this weekend JJB).

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Man, you growin the hot ones!

Yep, that's the fun part.  Jalapeno's and Serrano's, etc are so damn cheap and plentiful, that it's not worth it to devote my time and energy to those...I have a bunch of other unusual hot ones that are interesting as well.  I'm going to be absolutely inundated with these things this year, and I can't wait.

• Like 2

I was about to relax on the deck to some music from my DIY boombox, but had second thoughts.  I don't want this little one's mother to start dive bombing me.

I know, the same post appears in the RTM thread, so sue me, already.

20170726_183513.jpg

• Like 6