Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

23 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Same here Gary.  Always thought the Heritage line was the holy grail but I could live happily ever after with the 280s.  The LS/Altecs remain at idle.   The LF has her 280s hooked up to vintage ss and they sound very good.  Mine driven by 25wpc tube power are even sweeter.  Don't let her know or I will be looking at another tube amp:P

Yes, yes Chuck and Derrick......another tube amp for the LF,  well, could be a good thing too ;).......

But, the little 'differences' between the two families being built by Klipsch today can be enjoyed in varied ways, and as Derrick says, the varied music we listen to can sound very good through either...   I am just amazed at the full range of the 280F's....  It's like 'where is all that low end coming from?'  The mids sound so natural, and the high end is not harsh to my sensitive ears.....    When I switch to the KH's, you can actually hear the midrange 'horn' (gentle that they are) harmonics coming through...   Doesn't mean I won't continue to listen to them from time to time...

I have been in close contact with Mark Casavant at Klipsch, and he has told me that the Reference Premiere is a very special speaker to them that they are very proud of, and as the video says, 10 years of advancements are fitted into these new towers....

I can't wait to see the reviews come in once the RF-3's is released !  :emotion-21:   That WILL be the new top of the line speaker for the company...(while sharing many of the RP series technologies....)

Ok, end of sales pitch/rant for you all  :lol:.............

• Like 3

This is merely a question only Not intended to start an argumentative post - just curious 

Realizing the RF7ll is no longer and the RP280 is the current Top floor stander has it indeed superseded the RF in overall performance? Specs show the compression driver not of the same caliber of the RF and the dual woofs are of course smaller.

I have never heard the RP and only the RF in the Hope listening room. Anyone heard both in same room/short time frame comparison --

• Like 1

Rich............I have not heard or know anyone that has heard the differences between the two models...  There IS a video on youTube where that is being done, but the audio track is questionable....

The RF 2 is being 'enhanced' with the RP features, and that is mainly the silicone treated  90x90 degree Tractrix horn....   The mid/bass drivers have aluminum CAST frames...    The linear suspension (titanium) tweeter in the RP goes down to 1700 Hz.and that tells you where the bass drivers come up to...   

The RF-2 is at 1200 Hz.   with the 1 3/4"  compression driver...   It may be possible (my speculation) that the TWO round ports on the rear of the RF-2 may get changed to the Tractrix horn 'port' as in the RP series...     Mark Casavant says the center and surround speakers in the RF line will also get the silicone horn upgrade as well..   So, for now, the RP-280F is the leader at this time...   Keep in mind, the RF series is real wood veneer and made in Hope, which of course brings the price to $1600 ea. vs. $600 for the RP...............mind you, I find the build quality of the Reference Premiere top grade for the price point, meaning, the fit and finish is excellent.............and, they sound great!  :emotion-21:

Sorry, another salesman type rant, but, I really believe in these and the end user reviews all over youtube and other audio forums report a very good product with the only con I have seen is, 'too heavy'   and 'reall wood veneer would be nice'............but, hey, the price is right and the can compete with speakers costing much more (yes, I read that in a few reviews as well.............)

• Like 2

Thanks Gary - this helps. And yes there is certainly a 2-3 time price difference between the F and P lines. Klipsch just may try to bridge the gap with the defunct Palladiums with the upgraded RF in the "top tier" pricing level and the P line for the "consumer" line (for lack of a better term). The way you guys are raving on the RP's just peaked my curiosity and the F vs. P performance levels. And with you and 'Heel owning several Heritage models told me there just may be something here to have a look at. The only speaker I own remotely similar would be the RB75 which packs some sound for its size. 

• Like 2

You are welcome Rich................the RP's (no pun intended - really!) speak and sell themselves...   Chuck took a chance on my good word, and he is glad and happy he did, and so is his LF !   His last statement says it all :emotion-21:

You can always order up a pair...........hopefully, be pleased, otherwise, you could send them back within 30 days..........I wouldn't DREAM of it...  But, one great speaker to some ears is not always the be all to others....   They just strike a VERY musical sound to my ears (and I use my ears for a living!) if that matters....   ;)

Let us know what you may do ?    I would continue to help or suggest when ever I can....:)

• Like 3

Thanks for that compliment Ceptor!   Yes, I thought I would just do a little change up to the above and below the updated photo..   You can do it any way you want.....  

Coffee just finished brewing, breakfast in a little bit......  

Enjoy your morning everyone :emotion-44:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, USNRET said:

Afternoon boys. Sipping a bit and staying out of the heat. Up for work at 0400 yesterday and then thru several turns of events returned from San Antonio @ 0330 this morning. Woke up to phone at 0700 this morning to answer an offer on the GA house which needs a little 'work' (the offer, I've spent enough on the house). That was sent off and awaiting the results of my counter; they are doing a second low speed pass as we type.
:unsure:

and sold (well, contracted anyway)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Congrats Mike.  I know that's a relief for you.

Thanks Carl. Just watch, my company will transfer me back there the day after closing....

BTW, any info on the JBL stuff I just posted in alerts?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Thanks Carl. Just watch, my company will transfer me back there the day after closing....

BTW, any info on the JBL stuff I just posted in alerts?

Hadn't seen it as I just logged in.  I'll check it out.

I too have a house I'd love to sell but my son is living in it.  I don't think he'd appreciate the for sale sign in the front yard.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I wish my garage looked like that Carl. @CECAA850

HA!  I am with you Diz......................I got my 'cruise night' car, a nice snowmobile and motorcycle in mine and that is ok, .................AND THEN, TONS of boxes all over the place............pathways are the only way to get around the 2.5 car garage !!   11 years here and STILL there are those boxes.....:(

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, dtel said:

Thought this was a cool video of 4 CL-415 water bombers taking on water to fight a fire.           video in news story

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/news/a27473/watch-these-firefighting-planes-take-on-water/

landscape-1501012302-cl415.jpg

Here on the Island, we have the Martin Mars water bomber.  It's based on Sproat Lake, about a 3-hour drive northwest of Victoria.  Only 7 Martin Mars flying boats were ever built, and now there's only one still in service.  It's a 4-engine plane, originally designed as a long range ocean patrol flying boat.  By 1959, the US Navy had no further use for them, and the last four were to be sold for scrap, but instead, a Canadian consortium bought them and converted them for water bomber service.

The big planes have impressive capacities, but now only one is still flying.  It can pick up 30 tons of water in only 22 seconds, and a single drop will soak 3-4 acres of land.

More info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_JRM_Mars

There are lots of YouTube videos of the plane in operation, but most of them are over 5 minutes long.  Here's a 4-minute clip from its appearance in 2016 at the EAA AirVenture fly-in at Oshkosh: 

• Like 5