Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

10 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Who knows. You bowl and the score goes up on the screen over the lane.

Are they Brunswick pinsetters, AMF, or something else?  In any case, when the score goes up on the screen, you can thank my father, one of the three inventors on Brunswick's patent for the first automatic scorekeeper.

https://www.google.com/patents/US3435120

Guess which of the three he was. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DizRotus said:

Are they Brunswick pinsetters, or AMF, or something else?  In any case, when the score goes up on the screen, you can thank my father, one of the three inventors on Brunswick's patent for the first automatic scorekeeper.

Gues which of the three he was. 

I honestly have no idea what brand they are.

My older brother worked as a pin setter when he was young.  The pins had holes drilled in the bottoms of them and after someone bowled they would step on a lever that would raise spikes up into the lanes.  They'd put the pins on the spikes to set them.  He said you'd have to get out of the way FAST.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Are they Brunswick pinsetters, or AMF, or something else?  In any case, when the score goes up on the screen, you can thank my father, one of the three inventors on Brunswick's patent for the first automatic scorekeeper.

Gues which of the three he was. 

Pretty cool ---  and Thanks!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I honestly have no idea what brand they are.

My older brother worked as a pin setter when he was young.  The pins had holes drilled in the bottoms of them and after someone bowled they would step on a lever that would raise spikes up into the lanes.  They'd put the pins on the spikes to set them.  He said you'd have to get out of the way FAST.

Stripes are probably AMF, crowns are Brunswick.

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DizRotus said:

You remember AMF?  They're the company that  bought , and then almost ruined, Harley Davidson.

If AMF didn't buy them they would have gone bankrupt.  They had no clue as to how to run a motorcycle company but they kept Harley from disappearing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Stripes are probably AMF, crowns are Brunswick.

I know they replaced the pins earlier in the year so that might not be an indicator of the machinery correct?

Correct.  Typically, the bar that sweeps away the pins identifies the pinsetter.

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

43 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If AMF didn't buy them they would have gone bankrupt.  They had no clue as to how to run a motorcycle company but they kept Harley from disappearing.

I don't disagree with your comment, but most Harley enthusiasts feel that AMF had no clue how to make motorcycles.  The following is copied from Wikipedia, so it must be gospel.^_^

"In 1969, American Machine and Foundry (AMF) bought the company, streamlined production, and slashed the workforce. This tactic resulted in a labor strike and lower-quality bikes.[6] The bikes were expensive and inferior in performance, handling, and quality to Japanese motorcycles. Sales and quality declined, and the company almost went bankrupt.[6] The "Harley-Davidson" name was mocked as "Hardly Ableson", "Hardly Driveable," and "Hogly Ferguson",[56][57] and the nickname "Hog" became pejorative."

The challenge Harley Davidson faces now is the decline of the baby boomer population.  If I had a substantial investment in Harley Davidson motorcycles, or vintage muscle cars, I would be scrambling to sell before the buying demographic totally disappears.

Say thank you while you can to people who were influential in your life.  At 50th HS reunion on Saturday, we spent some time with our wrestling coach -- he's second from the right.  Yours truly is on the far left.  I asked coach to stop by.  He's glad he did and so we're many of the classmates who knew him only as a teacher, not a coach.

IMG_1440.JPG

31 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Have you ever noticed that, if a standing pin is wobbling, when picked up by the pinsetter to sweep away fallen pins, the pin continues wobbling after being set back down by the pinsetter?

Yep and if the pin slides slightly, It stays there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Isn't that what I said?

Yes.

Unfortunately, running a company to make money and building quality products are not necessarily synonymous. PWK was kind of in that same boat.  He was an excellent engineer, but not an excellent businessman.

1 minute ago, DizRotus said:

Yes.

Unfortunately, running a company to make money and building quality products are not synonymous. PWK was kind of in that same boat.  He was an excellent engineer, but not an excellent businessman.

Even though AMF made a horrible product, HD wouldn't be here today if AMF hadn't infused money into the company and saved them from going under.  I guess they could be called a necessary evil.

• Like 2