Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, dtel said:

cold here also, 44 right now

Ahhhhhh you have no right to post that lol lol

44* that's a damn heat wave:lol::lol:...... In don't think we'll make it to the freezing mark today:( just checked weather..... a high of 24 today.... feels like 13 with wind chill.

ya know when it's that cold here Stoney and Boney don't sleep with us. They sleep right by the fire down stairs until it starts burning down.... then they will come to bed..... usually around 4/5 am.

Stoney wants IN the covers and Boney will curl up next to us.

Yea it's some kind of cold today..... shop is cold..... office is cold. The office is colder than the shop... I got a big oil fired heater in the bay..... The BOSS is moms again today, so I'm holding the fort down. 

A good day to all.....

MKP :-)

• Like 6

Supposed to be in the 20's here on New Years day with a high only in the 30's.  At least I don't have to work that day.  Gonna have to cover the pool pump and let it run till it warms up.  Putting the pepper plants in the garage tonight as every night will have a frost for a while.

Still better than where @MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE and @dirtmudd are.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dtel said:

That's crazy, cold here also, 44 right now, got the wood burning heater lit.

If it was 44 up here, I'd be outside getting things done. 

I froze up my water source after a 9 degree Saturday night, didn't get the heat tape or insulation over the main valve. ( which is 12" up from the main connection, everything is contained and buried in a 6-8" diameter PVC tube.) Christmas morning I was investigating why it was frozen...reached in there to check the valve, moved it with a bit of a crick and busted the PVC to galvanized connection below the main valve. Instant mess...wide open main to the trailer park...22 degrees outside. Try to find the current manager, sure...called city utilities to turn off the main valve, they are closed of course. Emergency line calls the cops, "broke a main line, gotta turn the main off." "Okay, we dispatched a guy" Took about an hour and a half, poor guy...ripped from his Christmas presents.

Fortunately, there is a dip and a creek behind my place, so I made a trench to the creek...but it's a wide open one inch main, so it won't be long before it floods behind other trailers.

He get's there and shuts the main off. "You better take care of this before the other places start freezing up." Alrighty then...by now other tenants are finding out they have no water, thinking maybe their places are freezing up AFTER their source.

It's not long before folks turn up wanting to get their water back on...one guy and I tore into it an dug it up. Took a bit of bailing until the main line was drained out, and exposed for repair.

Another neighbor turned up with proper parts to fix the issue, (nothing was open) he cut the line, glued and capped it off so everyone else can have the water back on without freezing problems.

Yesterday the maintenance guy showed up, (we had one?) and I had already been gathering needed stuff for the repair. He could tell I was going to fix it whether he was there or not, and he was getting paid, so he took over. I helped, and worked on my connection from the valve to the trailer, a couple other folks helped as well. One neighbor donated a perfect round slotted fiberglass piece that fit perfect in the PCV tube, and I made sure the heat tape was over that valve. 

Sort of ruined Christmas day for a few folks, mostly my GF who is a bit upset for missing Christmas with her kids, but what could I do? I couldn't leave...

But on the positive side, the water around here was the sort of the color of urine, and kinda tasted bad. That busted line flushed the system rather well, the water is sparkly clean and tastes better!

For now anyway...

Another positive is we have a next door neighbor, Mr. Happy as my GF calls him. Last Summer I would be at work, and the GF would have her dog out doing his business, and the guy would harass her; "Why hasn't Mike done this?" "Why hasn't Mike done that?" She eventually told him to GFH...a real d*ck, this guy...

Well Christmas morning when the utility guy turned off the water, Mr. Happy was right in the middle of his shower...Hah! Hah!

He just scowls at me now...what's great is his wife thinks it's funny.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Time for an update on the Secura 997 coffee roasting.  Video and image of the final product attached.  To read a dark roast required an hour and 45 minutes for a pound.  Since there is no work involved the length was not an issue.  I realized I really don't know how long a drum roaster takes since I've never owned one.  My roasting has been in cast iron on the stove, and I used a Melitta hot air roaster for perhaps a decade.  Got rid of it due to small capacity and I eventually decided the hot air carries off too much of the oils.  For an audio comparison, it's sort of like the deference between CD and vinyl...took me years to decide that there was simply something slight more "living" about vinyl compared to most CDs...though the difference only becomes profound when you finally hear it.  

Anyway, both hot air and stovetop took about 20 to 25 minutes for a dark roast, so this was much longer.  However, good oil cover remaining and no smoke.  If you look close in the video you'll see the chaff flying around.  The agitator was perfect with beans flowing over it constantly.  A pound is just about the perfect load for this thing.  Going to set up a recurring order on Amazon and roast my own for every day from now on!  Why not?  Livin' LARGE!!!

Dave

Dave

Coffee.mpg

Coffee.jpg.png

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

I froze up my water source after a 9 degree Saturday night,

Dang, I thought I had it bad but you have me beat.  We were on our way to IHOP to eat after candelight service on Christmas Eve when my phone rang.  It was my daughter who had just gotten off of work.  She was forced into a curb and blew a tire on her way from work to the restaurant.  I had to find her and change her tire (son in law in tow) in 40 degree weather while it was drizzling out in my church clothes.  My son in law helped greatly and we had her back up and running in no time.  

• Like 4

20s in the AM teens at night here. I moved out of Michigan for this exact reason. Sucks here. Driving me to drink. I'm sure I've had lots of coffee posts and a cable or two. Not sure about cocktails. Beer will have to do. Check out the date on the beer. It was very harsh in 2005/6. Like butter tonight. Expensive coaster for that Belle! At least it is not a plant.

IMG_20171227_221405.thumb.jpg.4567547dd8e051f438fc1972ce75662e.jpg

IMG_20171227_221614.thumb.jpg.a548bd3f6ebd2968f6473c1bbce6139b.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mallette said:

Way too cold here.  Freezing tonight.  For a real southerner, if it's too cold to be naked outside, it is too damn cold!  Love snow.  For about 3 days, then want it to warm up ASAP.

Dave

5 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

was a nice day here ... hit the 40s.   Can’t believe I’m actually calling that a nice day ... checked the weather of my former homestead and it was in the 70s.

right now it's -14....

I will trade locations right now !

SEVERE WEATHER ALERTS

Wind Chill Warning

NYZ009-036-037-045-046-057-062-281700- /O.CON.KBGM.WC.W.0001.000000T0000Z-171228T1700Z/ Northern Oneida-Madison-Southern Oneida-Chenango-Otsego-Delaware- Sullivan- Including the cities of Boonville, Hamilton, Oneida, Rome, Utica, Norwich, Oneonta, Delhi, Walton, and Monticello 341 AM EST Thu Dec 28 2017 ...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST TODAY... * WHAT...Dangerously cold wind chills expected. The dangerously cold wind chills will cause frostbite in as little as 10 minutes to exposed skin. Expect wind chills to range from 15 below zero to 30 below zero. * WHERE...Oneida, Chenango, Otsego, Delaware and Sullivan Counties. * WHEN...Until noon EST today. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...This is a potentially dangerous situation for those venturing outdoors. Consider staying indoors if at all possible unless it is an emergency, especially early this morning. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A Wind Chill Warning means the combination of very cold air and the wind will create dangerously low wind chill values. Frost bite can occur quickly and even hypothermia or death if precautions are not taken. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Fine but you have to be here when it's 98 degrees outside with 90% humidity as well

Yessss I was thinking about those days last night as was bringing fire wood inside. I lasted about 20 minutes before I couldn't take it any more.... My nine fingers were freezing:wacko:

weather man says might be getting some snow next week???? We have gotten off real light this year so far..... Might be time to pay for it:o

Yup another COLD one for sure........ was getting pics all day yesterday from our eldest daughter, she's down in Florida at Disney with our two grandkids. Pics of them in shorts and tank tops on water rides. 

Holding the shop down without The BOSS again..... She's at moms till our daughter gets back...  She's been a little upset the last several days. All mom really does now is sleep..... very very week. over the last few months she has not been swallowing her food very well. takes forever to eat a Eggo waffle. Even drinking has become an issue. We don't think she will make it another year. This Jan will be two years since The BOSS's Dad past...... We pray that she will go in her sleep and not suffer, as the later stages come she will stop swallowing all together. Both of my in laws have/had "do not resuscitate" and no "feeding tube" orders. 

OK..... time do do some work and make some $$$$$ so I can pay some bills:P

A good day to all...

MKP :-)

• Like 3
  • Sad 5