Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

19 hours ago, Tigerman said:

. . .  He [Gary’s father] will be 90 this April !  I am very fortunate  to take after him - I am now 65 and still take NO meds what so ever . . .

Congratulations to you and your father.  At 69, I’m 5 years older than my father was when he died from a heart attack, not his first.  Since his way too early death, I have taken a baby aspirin each day.  Had he done the same, he might have lived to enjoy his grandchildren.

Regular aerobic exercise and that daily aspirin have been my routine since he died in 1988.  Unless your physician tells you otherwise, a baby aspirin a day and at least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise 3 times/week benefit everyone.  Use it or lose it.

A little music can’t hurt too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tigerman said:

...............here you go........table for 5, (my sister did not attend this year, she usually sits to my right at the open table space)...    You can see the  Klipsch glasses are in 'NO dust' mode along side the VERY classic (and pricey) Waterford wine glasses....   DSCN2334.jpg

Good afternoon :emotion-44: Looks nice there. An intimate space to dine with something for the eyes to gaze upon too. Lava lamp and all. Hope you and all here had a good Christmas. Like the candelabra also. Cheers! :emotion-51:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, billybob said:

Good afternoon :emotion-44: Looks nice there. An intimate space to dine with something for the eyes to gaze upon too. Lava lamp and all. Hope you and all here had a good Christmas. Like the candelabra also. Cheers! :emotion-51:

Thank you Billy for the comment...............it is a bit cramped in there...yes, the lava display is my 'little' addition.......that Spanish side board is 8.5' LONG and 27" deep (I just measured it!) and there is a large 3 glass door,  silver display cabinet on the opposite wall you don't see to the right of the photo, BUT, we all manage to sit and enjoy our company :)...  

Hope yours was nice also, and we all look forward to the coming year.....;)

Neil, that all sounds like a winning formula for sure!   :emotion-21:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, billybob said:

An intimate space to dine with something for the eyes to gaze upon too. Lava lamp and all.

True, I notice the lava lamps because I had two collected over the years from somewhere ? But two of the grand kids wanted them so that's where they went. It's cool now with teens, I guess everything comes back around sooner or later ?  16 and 17 year old girl and boy, the girl loves this website and anything hippie, she had me paint her a multi color piece sign for her room. http://www.hippieshop.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=30000RP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

True, I notice the lava lamps because I had two collected over the years from somewhere ? But two of the grand kids wanted them so that's where they went. It's cool now with teens, I guess everything comes back around sooner or later ?  16 and 17 year old girl and boy, the girl loves this website and anything hippie, she had me paint her a multi color piece sign for her room. http://www.hippieshop.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=30000RP

LOL, yes dang, pretty cool site. Prices even look reasonable Even saw some posters had forgot about. yes, those lava lamps tend to go quick everywhere.

Stuff for the cave...:emotion-21: Like the visuals without a blacklight.

• Like 3

.....Ok, long story, made shorter...........

Some years back, I was discovered on a Lava Lamp forum...   A lady sent me a PM wanting to know if her and her daughter could do a write up on lava lamps for a school paper she was working on.    I was to let them get photos of my display and answer any questions about the history / models, origins of my collection etc.

Arrangements were made........... They were driving in from Boston (2 hr. drive)....   I had to start the lamps 2 hours BEFORE they arrived, as the larger and original models (on the top shelf) take that long to warm up !

Anyway, she did the interview and took her notes, and then wanted some photos, so, here is one of the many photos of the daughter with the collection all lighted behind her (about 1000 watts to power all that up !!) with a red 'midnight' glitter lamp illuminated in her hands...

Enjoy...........IMG_7406.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

.....Ok, long story, made shorter...........

Some years back, I was discovered on a Lava Lamp forum...   A lady sent me a PM wanting to know if her and her daughter could do a write up on lava lamps for a school paper she was working on.    I was to let them get photos of my display and answer any questions about the history / models, origins of my collection etc.

Arrangements were made........... They were driving in from Boston (2 hr. drive)....   I had to start the lamps 2 hours BEFORE they arrived, as the larger and original models (on the top shelf) take that long to warm up !

Anyway, she did the interview and took her notes, and then wanted some photos, so, here is one of the many photos of the daughter with the collection all lighted behind her (about 1000 watts to power all that up !!) with a red 'midnight' glitter lamp illuminated in her hands...

Enjoy...........IMG_7406.jpg

That looks great. Looks like a Lava Lamp affectionado's collection.  Seems almost everywhere I went in the day. Going to find me another or so for the room. That is a really nice one she is holding. Good story Gary!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Billy, most all the vintage models are shown here on the two top shelves, back when the company produced the lamps here in the USA, then as you go down the display, the newer 'made in China' models are displayed...    There is a cool story that goes with the top center NOT lighted, and the clear with WHITE model right behind it.....;)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tigerman said:

Billy, most all the vintage models are shown here on the two top shelves, back when the company produced the lamps here in the USA, then as you go down the display, the newer 'made in China' models are displayed...    There is a cool story that goes with the top center NOT lighted, and the clear with WHITE model right behind it.....;)

Noticed that and the white.. Tell it when you are ready. Thanks!

• Like 2

.....ok, the Lava Light company is NOT the original.................   The original is a company in Poole England and started in 1963.....   To fellows here in the states heard about this 'new' lamp and checked it out, later starting the Lava business of their own in 1965 - two years later....

As the story goes, some fellow made one of these lamps and was on display in a pub at a much earlier date....    

So, the one that is NOT lighted I bought personally at the Mathmos store in London back in 2007 while visiting there!  Managed to pack that up in my suitcase along with another I bought for a friend.   The one behind it is from the same company and a VERY special lamp (A Christmas promotion - no color, supposed to be like 'snow') AND order, because it was NOT to be sold here in the states.   These run on................you guessed it, - 240 volts!  I only have the one power supply, so that is why only one of the English lamps is lighted....  And yes, they have that HUGE tri-pronged plug!

But, these are stated on the front logo ' Mathmos - 1963 Original'  founded by Ed Walker..............the company is still making these lamps in the SAME factory today   (different models for US market)...

There you have it.....................:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lol, I see! Did not know so thanks for sharing Gary. The history is interesting. Guessing that is a keeper . I would for sure. Like all of them. Sortof surprised I have not run into one or more in my travels lately. Lol, will be looking. Maybe one at the site dtel showed me. Cool!

• Like 1

...almost forgot to say.................the 'Snow' model I was able to order through a company in the uk. that actually sold uk market lamps to the US.  So, when I saw that Mathmos made this special lamp of only a limited 300, I had to have it.   

So, it was $48 PLUS add about 50% more for the exchange rate at the time,  PLUS shipping to get it here.............it was around $150 !     But, as you see, really nice....   The one in front is Blue liquid with orange lava...  The model is called 'Astro Lamp'   and that is 52 oz. of liquid just like the Lava Lamps around it.   

You can see how back in 1965, that design was copied by the Lava Lite company....   Those were all 'Century 100' models and mostly from the 70ies in this collection    Most ALL came from eBay purchases.    These lamps have an actual tag under the cap seal...   Bought one from my graduation year, but, it was totally worn out..............it is packed in a box of junk out in the garage.....

Its funny, I stop and look at these vintage lamps and wonder about the surroundings they were in when new, and how many faces have gazed into them :lol:............if only they could talk right ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Lol,  Did not know they could stop working but yes, figures I suppose when days upon night's use came along. Pathos is the one I maybe ran into more than others. I will look into them farther. There is something to the visuals presented and listening to any music. Soon I will be gazing again, and flashing back...:lol: Cool

• Like 2

• Moderators

The first thing I thought of when I first noticed them in that first pic was, I would like to see them all lit in a dark room. I didn't want to ask, but thanks.

I have never seen a white one, the one my grand son took was dark green like yours on the second to last shelf, the one the granddaughter took was red with sparkle stuff mixed in, green was my favorite of the two. 

Wonder how they would look with a little black light in the bottom, I really didn't know they made so many different kinds.

• Like 2

Good to see you Chuck...........DO have a good time.

Meanwhile, over in RTM............enjoying the LIVE from Berlin concert extravaganza New Years concert celebration!!   Here is what is on as I type.............enjoying my THIRD year subscription with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.....  :emotion-21:    DSCN7520.jpg

• Like 1