Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I went last night and am the worst bowler on our team as I'm consistently inconsistent.  I've only been bowling for a bout 3 years though, everyone else has been bowling most of their lives.  One of the guys on my team owns the alleys and was on the pro tour for years.  He's unbelievably smooth and consistent.  His ball does the same thing every time and it looks like he's not trying.  Makes me sick, lol.

I'm not much of a bowler either. When I go, my first game is my best, and my score goes down each game. I'm there for the fun :D

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dtel said:

Haven't bowled in years, but my best game is always the first one, and it's not good either. Part of the reason for this is Bowling allies usually sell pitchers of beer, between the beer and trying to improve it's downhill after the first game. But it is fun. :emotion-22:

Haha....we were typing the same thing.

(I only like contact sports) :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Why do you say this? If the boosters can be re used it's a step forward.

Good point - that sounded bad re-reading it - I simply meant having the car headed to Mars. I understand the why - I think it's a remarkable achievement!

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, akdave said:

Good point - that sounded bad re-reading it - I simply meant having the car headed to Mars. I understand the why - I think it's a remarkable achievement!

They should have sent a Pinto or a Vega, and left it there, this way any aliens would have felt sorry for us. :huh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I went last night and am the worst bowler on our team as I'm consistently inconsistent. 

Throw harder.  Woodie Held, who played baseball for Cleveland and a few other teams from 1954 to 1969, once put it this way: "Don't forget to swing hard, just in case you hit the ball."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got to the point, that I consider bowling on a house shot as entertainment. Even when I was competing ... I'm just going to have fun, whether I score good or not.  It just a game. Not life or death.

Now I am a "usta"... I usta be able to ...   Caught up with some of the clients I used to serve at a center in Tucson.  That was fun. I was on my way home from the Dr about my back . She encouraged me to do as much as possible, to a point ... So, I threw a few balls. Maybe not the smartest thing.

When I was working on Kauai, we were the only game in town, and the bowlers LIKED oil. We ran a "fair crown". 200 was high average in the house.

... they like to gamble, too. You could walk out of a night of league bowling $1000 to the good. Just the league pots, not side bets

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

they like to gamble, too

Ha, the only thing I would bet on in a bowling ally is I will keep the ball in my lane and all the way to the pins, and i still wouldn't bet much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 13yo bowled "her" first 600 series this past weekend beating dad to that accomplishment by nearly 2 years.

The game has changed so much as well as the social aspect.

A 220 average seems to be the new measuring stick, and many are regularly 230-240.

5-300's, 3-800's, Gold rings I don't wear, trophies that were donated long ago, and many award patches sitting in a box.

3 games a week and a 220 average - what's the point?  :blink2:   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

I got to the point, that I consider bowling on a house shot as entertainment. Even when I was competing ... I'm just going to have fun, whether I score good or not.  It just a game. Not life or death.

Now I am a "usta"... I usta be able to ...   Caught up with some of the clients I used to serve at a center in Tucson.  That was fun. I was on my way home from the Dr about my back . She encouraged me to do as much as possible, to a point ... So, I threw a few balls. Maybe not the smartest thing.

When I was working on Kauai, we were the only game in town, and the bowlers LIKED oil. We ran a "fair crown". 200 was high average in the house.

... they like to gamble, too. You could walk out of a night of league bowling $1000 to the good. Just the league pots, not side bets

Those were the good ol' days

<+> Brunswick Corp is within 10 miles of the house.  They used to make it all - pinsetters, lanes, pins, balls, scoring, etc.  Now, here, they do R&D, sales, CSR stuff.  Balls are now made in Mexico and 150+ jobs went with that.  If you bowl, know that Brunswick, Radical, and DV8 are all developed right here in my back yard by guys I regularly share the lanes with.  Motiv balls are also made locally by a separate company, which got it's start as a ball core provider for the big B when they were still in town.  

• Like 2