Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

10 minutes ago, Arrow#422 said:

My 13yo bowled "her" first 600 series this past weekend beating dad to that accomplishment by nearly 2 years.

I that 2 consecutive 300 games? If so, pretty impressive, but I had a 1200 series.  Of course is over 2 days and ten games, but I am pretty sure that it still counts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I that 2 consecutive 300 games? If so, pretty impressive, but I had a 1200 series.  Of course is over 2 days and ten games, but I am pretty sure that it still counts.

Not me.  Actually only 3 guys in our local association have ever tossed 2-300 games in the same 3 game set.

Local association record for 3 sanctioned games is 877.

Me - 817.  meh

• Like 2

Hi vasubandu

League bowling is generally 3 game sets

600 series is 3 game set [series] that total 600.

I don't bowl league. Haven't for years.  I would crawl out from under my rock for special occasions. Like the SeniorGames.  and the TucsonMasters. The SeniorGame was just for fun. The clients [they are my friends, too] expected me to make a showing. I took all age groups scratch and handicap

The Masters was a lark. I took 3rd.  I left my mark on the tournament....  a special rule stating you MUST have a 21 game average to participate. But, it's OK to be a regional pro.

you spend 20 years working in a bowling alley, you are bound to learn a little, even if you are as slow as me.

• Like 2

https://www.pba.com/Join

With a 200 average verification for 36 sanctioned games, and payment of $144 you too could be welcomed into the PBA elite as a Standard Member.

But wait, why stop there?  For $300 you upgrade to Full Member status and can bowl as many PBA events as you are able.

Seriously, bowling still represents a great leisure time activity and if you have young ones, please introduce them to the sport.  Here, open play is about $3.50 per game and $3 for shoe rental.  I believe bowling may still be the largest single participant sport in the USA, but the numbers are surely dropping.  To encourage youth and support the high school teams junior leagues offer kids 3 games and free shoe rentals if needed all for $7 per week.  That's $2 per game, a push on the shoes, with the extra $1 going toward the season end banquet, trophies, etc.

Once the smoking bans were implemented, bowling alleys got a bit more habitable.  Something to do inside during the winter, and a nicely A/C'd venue in the summer.

• Like 3

I have taken the kids bowling 4 or 5 times over the past couple of years.  The older one who is now 15 usually started in a snit claiming that he did not want to bowl. He just randomly threw the ball down the lane.  BY the time of the third and fourth games, he was into it and not bad by my standards, probably 120-140. The younger one claimed that the best bowler in the world does not use finger holes, so he would not either.  No idea how he even threw the bowling ball but he got good velocity, and I think it really was mostly gutters or strikes.  More gutters than strikes.  

I had not bowled since i was a kid, and it took me a while to figure it out.  What I figured out is probably illegal, but I ended up with one knee on the floor at the end of my toss and released the ball about 3 inches off the floor. I used the heaviest ball I could find and just focused on standing at the left edge (I am left handed) and trying to hit the front pin on the right side.  After a few times, I was scoring 150-165.

I actually contacted the owner of the bowling alley because a client wanted to tear it down and build some apartments.  Once he realized what I wanted, he became very angry and yelled that he would never seller to developers and that his kids were going to run the business.  The location would have been killer for apartments.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dtel said:

They should have sent a Pinto or a Vega, and left it there, this way any aliens would have felt sorry for us. :huh:

*Scratching chin* 

I like the way your thinking. Send the crappiest car up there to show how far behind we REALLY are. Show "them" we are not a threat. 

A little head fake so they don't see what we're really doing. 

*Evil laugh"

Galactic domination! :D

In the meantime I'm just trying to figure out how to put together this Ikea furniture $@&_*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That was truly amazing. Even NASA was impressed.

Indeed. For awhile we had to rely on other countries to throw our payload into space. European space agency, Russia, China etc...

Good to see U.S. taking back the lead again or at the very least competing on a level playing field. 

Being independent is a beautiful thing. 

• Like 3

Why limit ourselves to cars.  The Tesla weighs 2,877 pounds.  For example, with the same weight allowance, we could send 3,513 cans of beer, which might be a better way to introduce us than a car that almost no one can afford.  Or we could send a giant Bart Simpson statute. 

4840275020_03bba86c77_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Next time you go bowling, think of my late father, Morton F. Disney Jr., one of the inventors of the Brunswick automatic scorekeeper pinsetter.  The first pinsetter that let you concentrate on your beer and your hook, without wasting grey matter on addition.

Publication number US3435120 A
Publication type Grant
Publication date Mar 25, 1969
Filing date May 11, 1964
Priority date May 11, 1964
Inventors William D CornellMorton F Disney JrPaul R Hoffman
Original Assignee Brunswick Corp
Export Citation BiBTeXEndNoteRefMan
Patent Citations (7), Referenced by (4), Classifications (6)

External Links: USPTOUSPTO AssignmentEspacenet

Of course, that mechanical monstrosity has been replaced many times over by Increasingly sophisticated computer controlled equipment.  

• Like 6

Morning all, late start with the first cup of :emotion-44: at 7:02. Had a Perfect Manhattan last night also hooked up my recently returned VRDs with a Zu cable yesterday. CCC......check.

Please don't add a "B" to this topic. I suck at Bowling and it reminds me of cold Michigan winters. Which was pretty much October through May.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

HaHaHa

the pinsetter school has markings up the walls, outside, so you can find the parking spaces after a snow.  I used to live in Elkhart [IN]

When I was up there helping my sister, I was offered a house

in Coloma ...  I hate snow, too. Thanks, but, no thanks

DizRotus,

that cool...

the optical Model 79 scanners were in the center I started in.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

DizRotus,

Your dad made the display that showed what pins were left standing?

or the optical Model 79 and 86 scanners?

It was 1964, no optical, just the score.  Sort of like Sgt. Friday, “Just the facts mam.”

• Like 3

Can't say I worked on any of them.

I had some old machines. A few had 4 digit serials. Cast iron. Over built, over engineered ... BEAUTIES

We  had field converted A to A-2. They are much better than the actual A-2.  They decided to save money on the A-2 and over compensated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

Can't say I worked on any of them.

I had some old machines. A few had 4 digit serials. Cast iron. Over built, over engineered ... BEAUTIES

We  had field converted A to A-2. They are much better than the actual A-2.  They decided to save money on the A-2 and over compensated.

When my older brother was young he would work as a pinsetter.  He said there was a lever you would press down with your foot and spikes would come up through the floor of the lane where each pin needed to sit.  There were holes in the bottom of the pins that would sit on the spikes.  You also had to roll the balls back.  Once the pins were set you had to get the hell out of the way.

• Like 3