Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

9 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

all the pinsetters I worked were "automatic"... except when we needed to help them. 

Those holes are still in the bottom of pins. 

Well my brother is 75 (still bowling by the way) so this was 60+ years ago.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Next time you go bowling, think of my late father, Morton F. Disney Jr., one of the inventors of the Brunswick automatic scorekeeper pinsetter.  The first pinsetter that let you concentrate on your beer and your hook, without wasting grey matter on addition.

Publication number US3435120 A
Publication type Grant
Publication date Mar 25, 1969
Filing date May 11, 1964
Priority date May 11, 1964
Inventors William D CornellMorton F Disney JrPaul R Hoffman
Original Assignee Brunswick Corp
Export Citation BiBTeXEndNoteRefMan
Patent Citations (7), Referenced by (4), Classifications (6)

External Links: USPTOUSPTO AssignmentEspacenet

Of course, that mechanical monstrosity has been replaced many times over by Increasingly sophisticated computer controlled equipment.  

wow, color me easily impressed I guess  :P  the things one can learn by hanging out/around & reading online - in a speaker forum of all places

whodathunkit  B)  wait til I tell my GF what I learned on the forum today  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, -js- said:

wow, color me easily impressed I guess  :P  the things one can learn by hanging out/around & reading online - in a speaker forum of all places

Yeah and we haven't even covered cars and dogs yet:)  Tell GF to stay tuned.....and send her photo please!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

you must mean just haven't gotten into them today, eh?  I know I've shown her some pics of the cars & shared conversations about the dogs from here.  and yet, she still sort of laughs at me when she asks whatcha doin (with your phone)  - Klipsching?

and we've had the conversation that my "disease" is her fault - she "got me" our 1st pair on the Black Friday sale @ BB.  and it's been ON since then!  (not my fault!!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was bowling with friends that are 80+.  I learned a lot by watching seniors bowl.  Especially, it isn't how hard you hit the pins, if you hit the right place. I always tell folks, "If you are sweating, you are working too hard at it ... relax"

I'm 6'2" [or was] and 130lb. Muscling the ball is out. I have to rely on technique

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Hi vasubandu

League bowling is generally 3 game sets

600 series is 3 game set [series] that total 600.

I would crawl out from under my rock for special occasions. Like the SeniorGames.  and the TucsonMasters. The SeniorGame was just for fun. The clients [they are my friends, too] expected me to make a showing. I took all age groups scratch and handicap

I earned a couple of Gold Medals at the Huntsman Senior Games and then decided that the games were pretty much a non-event for bowling.  Organizers didn't have a clue.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -js- said:

Not a day goes by that upon learning my last name someone asks if I'm related.  Who would have thought so many people are aware of an inventor of the automatic scorekeeper?  Every now and then it turns out they're referring to some guy named Walt . . . .  whoever that is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yeah.  and I had no idea your last name.  (having learned your first name not long ago)  I was going to ask the other question about that Walt guy I've hear about.  I guess I forgot.  lol.

nice - the things I learn hanging 'round here.  makes me feel... well.  not sure if I should really finish that honestly or not  - I've seen comments from some other posters.  don't really feel like being a target any more than I already am in other areas (work!  ugh.)  it is 5:00 somewhere, yes?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Not a day goes by that upon learning my last name someone asks if I'm related.  Who would have thought so many people are aware of an inventor of the automatic scorekeeper?  Every now and then it turns out they're referring to some guy named Walt . . . .  whoever that is.

I have to admit, that thought did cross my little mind also, how could it not the mouse is well known. Have a friend with the last name Chase, he gets all the bank jokes.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If everyone on your team strikes but you in one particular frame, you have to buy everyone a beer as a penalty for not striking.

I had no idea, I would be buying alot of beer, probably better to just bowl with others that suck also.

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Next time you go bowling, think of my late father, Morton F. Disney Jr., one of the inventors of the Brunswick automatic scorekeeper pinsetter.  The first pinsetter that let you concentrate on your beer and your hook, without wasting grey matter on addition.

Very cool

12 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

Send the crappiest car up there to show how far behind we REALLY are. Show "them" we are not a threat. 

A little head fake so they don't see what we're really doing. 

If they can get here, I doubt we are much of a threat. They are probably more worried we won't kill off each other, they would hate to lose a good science experiment.

Probably looking and thinking what's wrong with them ? Should we send another meteorite like we did with the dinosaurs and start over ?

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Nope and I've even e-mailed him.  Hopefully he's just traveling or something.

Maby hibernating for the winter, he was use to living on a sunny mild coast, hope he's OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I was bowling with friends that are 80+.  I learned a lot by watching seniors bowl.  Especially, it isn't how hard you hit the pins, if you hit the right place. I always tell folks, "If you are sweating, you are working too hard at it ... relax"

I'm 6'2" [or was] and 130lb. Muscling the ball is out. I have to rely on technique

A good arm swing + good foot work = increased ball speed "naturally".

Many older bowlers drop weight to compensate based upon ill advise from the pro-shop.

I suppose its easier, and more profitable, to sell another ball instead of giving some instruction to iron out any issues with body mechanics.

In that regard, it can't be much different than golf.  

A $500 driver isn't going to necessarily correct a swing issue & a $200 putter isn't going to "make" the ball go into the hole.

• Like 3

With seniors [being one now]

mobility is prolly the biggest issue. Followed by arthritic hands.

and the old age, I mean age old problem of not being as young as we think ... not 30 any more

I toss a 14lb ball now for score. New resin type.

For fun, I toss a 50 year old hard rubber ball. It makes a bit of a challenge out of a house shout.

Timing is EVERYTHING. When you do it right, it is like hitting a home run ball or ripping the skin off a golf ball.  

the "I REALLY got a hold of that one" gratification

• Like 2

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I toss a 14lb ball now for score.

On my regular 10-15 year bowling trip I am just happy to find a ball I can get part of a finger in, weight is not considered.

4 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Well that's good, only problem for me is I have no technique :mellow: 6'3" and twice your weight, well, thinking about that is depressing, big bones yea that's it. :huh2:

• Moderators

It's not fun to look at a chart like that and have to go down to second from the bottom to find your age group. :mellow: I think 10,000Hz is very optimistic for me.

So if we peak at 5 years old, in theory Sesame street songs should be recorded really well you would think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1