Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 hours ago, dtel said:

I would have guessed silver or white, I was thinking about the heat, black may have melted in the summer. 

What is that, I have to ask your kind of close to California where that could mean something else ?

Did you feel the earthquake yesterday, they said it was close to the Southern AZ border ?

for all intents and purposes, it is a 2sp PowerGlide transmission. It revs up while you are calling for more power, then tries to gear up to idle speed @1200rpm. They are calling it new [20 or 30 years new] .. infinitely variable trans. It does have a distinct 1st gear.

our imp.. at rest

1824087567_DSCF04352.png.0794bc3b08a5437c6872a8a8ddf74ecc.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

What is that, I have to ask your kind of close to California where that could mean something else ?

It's a Continuously Variable transmission.  Basically 2 pulleys that can vary in size and a metallic belt between the two.  Driving one makes you think that the transmission is in a constant state of slip.  When they break you just replace them as you can't buy parts for the internals.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

Thanks to all of your for the Mother’s Day wishes!  You guys are the best ever!!!

you must be a saint to put up with us .. let alone "the old man".  Have a great day. You deserve it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Quiet on here today.  Maybe celebrating with mom or headed to Hope?  A hot one here.  Washed the Z4.  Mopped all the hardwoods in prep for friends from California visiting,  changing the linen, cleaning the kitchen a bit.  LF entertaining her mom in law.  \

Life in the slow lane......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Interesting.

My niece bought a new Mustang GT, it has a 10 speed tranny!

I hope that's an automatic...

The semi I learned on, only had a 10speed.... but, it only had 1700 rpm from idle to red line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

I hope that's an automatic...

The semi I learned on, only had a 10speed.... but, it only had 1700 rpm from idle to red line.

Yes It's an auto trans.

27 minutes ago, richieb said:

-- yep, and strange bedfellows in development - a Ford/Chevy collaboration --. 

I did not know that. Does Chevy use the same trans in any of their cars? I think the only rear wheel drive car Chevy has is a Camaro. 

• Like 2

Hey y’all 

made it up to Mom’s place just northeast of Dallas.

Little Sister stopped by and then about 11:00 PM her hubby strolled in, up to 0330.

Lunch with Mom and big sister today.

Hot spot off the cell.

Will be slow lane here as well and off to Hope on Wed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Yes It's an auto trans.

I did not know that. Does Chevy use the same trans in any of their cars? I think the only rear wheel drive car Chevy has is a Camaro. 

--- I've done no research but yes, I imagine it would be the Camaro. Or Corvette? And of course variations might exist for specific HP/torque applications. Similar to the 8 speed Dodge autos, there are different parts numbers for the 485 HP models and the 707 HP models. Both 8 speeds but made for a specific application.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- I've done no research but yes, I imagine it would be the Camaro. Or Corvette? And of course variations might exist for specific HP/torque applications. Similar to the 8 speed Dodge autos, there are different parts numbers for the 485 HP models and the 707 HP models. Both 8 speeds but made for a specific application.

Interesting. I think the Vette uses a German Getrag tranny. The trans is behind the axel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Yes It's an auto trans.

Camaro, Corvette  and pick up trucks.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

It's a Continuously Variable transmission.  Basically 2 pulleys that can vary in size and a metallic belt between the two.  Driving one makes you think that the transmission is in a constant state of slip.  When they break you just replace them as you can't buy parts for the internals.

Similar design to a go cart transmission, 2 pulleys one gets wider or smaller, being angled this changes the diameter which changes the speed. It sounds like anyway.

tav30clutches.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Interesting. I think the Vette uses a German Getrag tranny. The trans is behind the axel.

-- since I have nothing better to do this Sunday night I checked into the Stingray. For 2018 the automatic is a GM developed Hydramatic 8 speed, not 10 speed. The 7 speed manual is made by Tremec. As you might already know Tremec is known for their high performance, heavy duty trannies, I have one in my car.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dtel said:

Similar design to a go cart transmission, 2 pulleys one gets wider or smaller, being angled this changes the diameter which changes the speed. It sounds like anyway.

tav30clutches.jpg

You mean snow mobile... Centrifugal clutch...

I also use the rekluse  on my husqvarna Te 450

• Like 2