Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

28 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Morning all...

Hard rain was a understatement yesterday.... I must say I think it's one of the hardest downpours I have seen in quite some time! We live about 30 miles  N.W. from Ellicott City and the rain around our parts was crazy. But the area around Ellicott City got 9+" of rain in just a few hours. This is the 2nd major flood to hit this small historic community in just two years. Ellicott City is very low laying and sits right next to a major stream(Gunpowder Falls). There is one business that the stream runs under. 

We have had quite a bit of rain in the last few weeks, the ground was still quite saturated! I got a chance to cut my lawn Saturday and took note of how damp to ground still was from all the rain fall from the last 10 days. I knew some more rain was on the way but had no clue it would be like this. I also got on the roof and cleaned it off and made sure my gutters were clear. It started raining around 4:00 Sunday afternoon. We had plans to go over our friends house that lived closer to Baltimore. By the time we left around 5:00 it was a torrential down pour. I checked the down spouts and water was just gushing out of them. Water was also pooling up along the back side of my house. We live on a slight hill and you could see the water running down the back yard too the house. Last week I had a guy come over to give a estimate of some grading work because of this. Our house took some water a few months ago when the ground was still frozen and we had a good bit of rain and the thawing of the ground. While we were at our friends we got 1.5" of rain in less than two hours according to my buddies rain gauge! 

I called my mom and she was the one that told me Ellicott City was flooding again. We turned the news on to watch this as it was happening. 

I used to work in Ellicott City at a dealership many years back. We would go down to the historic part and get lunch once in a while. It is a very cool little community with small shops and that old historic "feel" to it. This little town has been hit hard in the last few years..... not just with floods but there was a train wreck a few years back. The train derailed right at the bottom of Main St and I think two were killed. 

So we got home around 10:30 only to find our basement took a good bit of water. The grading to construct the swale in the back yard has not been done yet. I'll take the small amount of water in my basement over the devastation in Ellicott City! I really don't know if this small community can/will recover from this. Over $20 million was spent in the last two years from the last flood. Some of the business's did rebuild but some closed there doors. Again our governor has declared a state of emergency for this small community. IMHO the problem is not just where Ellicott City is but all the newer developments that are sprouting around the higher elevations, only too have all the runoff funnel down to this town. 

This is just one video from the many..... My heart goes out to this small community....

MKP 🙂 

MKP,

You were missed at Pilgrimage dude!

Roger

• Like 2

On 5/27/2018 at 8:53 AM, DizRotus said:

Good Sunday morning.

Looks like the weather in Indy for the 500 will be hot and sunny, same as here in Motown.  I’ll record the race while listening on the radio outside performing experiments on my HIPs.  See:

It was definitely the hottest race I've been to. Pretty good overall. Good day for the Australians in racing, Ricciardo won the F1 race.

On 5/27/2018 at 9:06 AM, Schu said:

Greatest day in racing....

Yes it is. If there was a MotoGP race, it would be perfect 😀

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Anyone besides me watching Wheeler Dealers on the car channel?  That British dude can do anything with cars.  Wish he had a shop in my area!

Which  British dude, Edd China or the new guy?

• Like 1

Don't know his name.  Younger guy brn/blnd hair, 2 day beard.  Fabricates, improves designs, body work, mounts tires.  He just did a 88' Grand Wagoneer.  Working on an Alfa Romeo now.

Not Edd China.....just googled him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Don't know his name.  Younger guy brn/blnd hair, 2 day beard.  Fabricates, improves designs, body work, mounts tires.  He just did a 88' Grand Wagoneer.  Working on an Alfa Romeo now.

For the love of cars is a good show !

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Never knew you were into cars, Chuck.

Yep I'm envious of guys that have mechanical skills.....not just part changers.  As you may have guessed I like imports.  Would have 10 or 50 if I had the funds and space.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Yep I'm envious of guys that have mechanical skills.....not just part changers.  As you may have guessed I like imports. Would have 10 or 50 if I had the funds and space.

What country is LF from?

• Haha 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

This is just one video from the many..... My heart goes out to this small community....

Shocking video, hate to see anyone go through this.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

This first batch will be a mixture of peppers and will be very small.

But a small batch will go a long way, those are out of my league of hot, I was even afraid to try what you made for Pilgrimage when they told me you made it. :unsure:

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, DizRotus said:
20 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Yep I'm envious of guys that have mechanical skills.....not just part changers.  As you may have guessed I like imports. Would have 10 or 50 if I had the funds and space.

What country is LF from?

I'm not sure but he picked a good year and make, she seems very nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

His name is Ant. They do have 3 or 4 mechanics on duty. I have a feeling he can do anything though. Remember Bob Vila? I think all the work was finished during the commercials with that show 😀

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Funny I just discovered the car channel (81 here) and it is now a favorite.  Like the guy Wayne who buys/repairs/sell classics.

Wayne Carini, his shop is up in Connecticut. I like his mechanic, a funny older guy. Good shows.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

His name is Ant. They do have 3 or 4 mechanics on duty. I have a feeling he can do anything though. Remember Bob Vila? I think all the work was finished during the commercials with that show 😀

Wayne Carini, his shop is up in Connecticut. I like his mechanic, a funny older guy. Good shows.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1