Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 8/2/2018 at 8:47 AM, DizRotus said:

I called  customer service to report my wife’s complaint that the brew is weak and wastes coffee.  BUNN sent, at no charge, two alternative “reduced flow” spray heads for our BXB.  Gotta love the customer service.  I’ll report back with the results.

The replacements are shown. These old eyes can’t discern any difference.  I’ll try both.  FYI, that Old English “D” is on Alan Trammell’s cap.

E2AA77CF-2B79-450E-BA75-996E6D2DF877.jpeg

Tried one of the reduced flow spray heads.  The coffee was much stronger, but the brew process was slower.  The experiment was a success.

• Like 5

I needed to VENT!

The basement lavatory is not original to this 1948 home.  It was, apparently, added by someone who didn’t appreciate the need to vent the drain.  Flushing the vented toilet upstairs would procduce gurgling sounds in the basement lav.  

A real plumber added an interior mechanical vent to the sink drain.  Now small cats could be flushed without noises, other than momentary squealing, or problems.  The vacuum caused by draining opens the vent to draw in air.  A spring then closes it to prevent sewer smells, or cats, from entering the basement. Sort of like an Indycar pop-off valve, but in reverse.

DD2ACA57-F777-4764-8FF5-2BF8A9DDFD0A.jpeg

• Like 5

Pardon the ratty laundry room view of the basement lav plumbing.  Much to my wife’s chagrin, we are living in a “tear-down.”  Improvements are made to enhance our enjoyment, not as an investment. The house is a liability on the lot.  We plan to live here until hauled out horizontally.

The 1948 house and I are the same age.  In this neighborhood, our 1,000 sq. ft. house will be torn down when we’re done with it.  The summer shot shows the front the day the Frankensmurfs were delivered.  The winter scene shows the view across the street.  Of the four houses visible, 1 and  3 are new larger homes, 2 and 4 are original smaller homes.  Most of the new builds are many times larger than the houses they replaced.  

We’re in the process of remodeling the tiny galley, I mean kitchen.  My wife doesn’t understand that doing so does NOT enhance the resale value of the house.  I love the reality that our lot is worth more without the house.  A rising tide lifts all boats, but the value is lifted whether or not it has granite counters.  My wife can’t get it out of her head that updating kitchens and baths does not always enhance value.  

598a324c8a15b_IMG_0302(Medium).thumb.JPG.8f9f45a8adb87584385aa8b5b387a4dd.JPG

0A428E84-5942-4955-82D9-FCF2DD920543.thumb.jpeg.113c7932154c986b135333d6f80ea468.jpeg

• Like 2

As seldom as I do any 2 channel listening these days I should not be thinking of more audio equipment.  Still......the idea of the Marantz 1200 B that Emile shared or a pair of RF7-llls is tempting😑

Now had that shop offered shipping from Florida...........

3 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

As seldom as I do any 2 channel listening these days I should not be thinking of more audio equipment.  Still......the idea of the Marantz 1200 B that Emile shared or a pair of RF7-llls is tempting😑

Now had that shop offered shipping from Florida...........

Turn it up !

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tarheel said:

Yep that is the one.  Looks like the 3300 preamp I use to own.  Matter of fact someone said it is the 3300 pre and 250 amp in one package.  Now I had 250 mono blocs and one was always blowing up so I sold them after the last repair.

A friend of mine.. As 16 complete

Systems with speakers...

Mainly marantz I think 10 complete

Set ups....

Not sure if he would sell any....

but does not use any of it....

His home. Inside looks like a audio graveyard.... With like new gear..

And.some with the original boxes...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The house is a liability on the lot.  We plan to live here until hauled out horizontally.

Same here.  Place would be worth more if we tore it down. This place qualifies as a cluster f($%& ... But it's home. We got cemetery plots with the purchase of this place. That's what sold us... What a deal!  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

If he has the 1200 or a 3300 pre I may be interested.

Not sure if he is ready to sell..

Have to ask him...on what he has..

I'm sure there's more than what I seen..

Or what he told me he has...

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2018 at 10:00 AM, oldtimer said:

Drink heavily to counteract the Elton John.

On 8/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, richieb said:

-- drink yourself to death - 

Wow. I can't feel the love tonight:) No Love(or even like) for Uncle Eltie here. Hmmmmmm. To each his own. A great time was had by all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I tend to agree with the wifey on this one.  It will also make your home easier to sell.

Carl,

I respectfully disagree.  The empty lots are worth more to builders than the lot with our house.  A house similar to ours on the next block sold for $100k more than the nearby market value for houses similar to the existing house, due to the unavailability of vacant buildable lots.  After paying that $100k premium, the builder promptly demolished the existing home, which included updated kitchen and baths.  The existing home, including “improvements” is a liability.  Builders routinely expend thousands of dollars to demolish existing homes. 

If you were in the market for a small home with updated kitchen and baths,  you could find one nearby for $100k less, why would you not do that rather than competing with builders for buildable lots?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Carl,

I respectfully disagree.  The empty lots are worth more to builders than the lot with our house.  A house similar to ours on the next block sold for $100k more than the nearby market value for houses similar to the existing house, due to the unavailability of vacant buildable lots.  After paying that $100k premium, the builder promptly demolished the existing home, which included updated kitchen and baths.  The existing home, including “improvements” is a liability.  Builders routinely expend thousands of dollars to demolish existing homes. 

If you were in the market for a small home with updated kitchen and baths,  you could find one nearby for $100k less, why would you not do that rather than competing with builders for buildable lots?

Buy the house on either side of you...

And sell as a bundle.... Lot

• Like 1
  • Haha 1