Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, polizzio said:

So what is a "bubble"? 6 cyl no doubt. Was that a hand wash in the cold? $215 is mostly prob 65% labor. My 2012 camaro plugs are good for 96k miles, still in there - platinum tips, like $7 each @ amazon. I'll be replacing em myself when its time (very easy to access, hemi head, dohc). Fixing to do the auto tranny fluid and filter in a couple weeks myself. 67k mileage.

The "Bubble" is a 2012 BMW Z4 35is.  335hp and only 27,000 miles.  Ceramic coated 1000 miles ago.  Nary a scratch on it.  The mechanic was gone a long time "test" driving it😑  I do a "touchless" wash that goes......wet down, foam cannon, rinse, dry with leaf blower.  No touch means no swirl marks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

The "Bubble" is a 2012 BMW Z4 35is.  335hp and only 27,000 miles.  Ceramic coated 1000 miles ago.  Nary a scratch on it.  The mechanic was gone a long time "test" driving it😑  I do a "touchless" wash that goes......wet down, foam cannon, rinse, dry with leaf blower.  No touch means no swirl marks.

And I thought I was bad @ 770 miles a month average. You're @ 300 or < a month. Must be your sunny day only touring car. My Camaro is my only vehicle, I hand wash it, and wax it annually. It doesn't have a single door dent on it. I don't mind walking and if I cannot park away from others, I don't attend/park. Kills me how people drive around looking for the closest parking spot to the door, then go to a gym to work out or walk/jog for exercise. People and their peculiar behaviors.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, polizzio said:

So what is a "bubble"? 6 cyl no doubt. Was that a hand wash in the cold? $215 is mostly prob 65% labor. My 2012 camaro plugs are good for 96k miles, still in there - platinum tips, like $7 each @ amazon. I'll be replacing em myself when its time (very easy to access, hemi head, dohc). Fixing to do the auto tranny fluid and filter in a couple weeks myself. 67k mileage.

You may know,  but much/most of your old ATF stays in the torque converter if you only drain the pan. Many aftermarket converters have a drain plug but not so much for original Chevy's and others, Fwiw. Enjoy.

Bowtie fan.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dtel said:

What kind of receiver you trying to connect to ? There is a way to do it, just need to figure it out.

the H/K630

however .... Not getting sound when I plug the computer to the tv [HDMI to HDMI], either. 

you're right

there is a way to configure the outputs to make it work. I'm not a computer tech, so ,  everything is an adventure.  First thing I'm gonna try, is to use the Epiphany browser [Linux] instead of firefox

• Like 1

7 hours ago, babadono said:

So you have a half inch water pipe that is ALWAYS on going into your septic tank.

seems that way. I needed to collect firewood today and haven't scienced it further. Still chasing the septic line down. This 1/2in pvc popped up when I was digging the drain up. Just judging by the amt of water coming down the septic ....  I expected to find a water line near or crossing the septic line and I go both. The hose bibs are not being supplied form the 1/2in. They do cross paths, but no connection.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dtel said:

Can't lie, never heard them before but wow ! Love the drums and guitar, voice ain't bad either 🤘

That "Mas Feedback" cd.. got no idea where I got it from. They cover "I Am the Walrus" righteously on it.

Look like reggae or milli vanilli fellas but they're rockers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

the H/K630

however .... Not getting sound when I plug the computer to the tv [HDMI to HDMI], either. 

you're right

there is a way to configure the outputs to make it work. I'm not a computer tech, so ,  everything is an adventure.  First thing I'm gonna try, is to use the Epiphany browser [Linux] instead of firefox

I couldn't figure it out either, a friend was here and he went into the computer menu, did something and it worked. I think the "did something" is a technical term because I couldn't figure it out. 

I love that line of receivers, the twin powered H/K's. 

It's just the kind of sound I remember from MANY years ago, they just sound right to me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NADman said:

You may know,  but much/most of your old ATF stays in the torque converter if you only drain the pan. Many aftermarket converters have a drain plug but not so much for original Chevy's and others, Fwiw. Enjoy.

Bowtie fan.

Yes, depends who you ask but I realize 1/3 to 1/2 will remain in the converter. But even replacing half and the filter is cool with me. The dealer recommended a flush only and they don't replace the filter. Even my owners manual/Chevy say to replace fluid and filter @ 97k miles. I was not satisfied with the answers and estimate from the Chevy dealer where I origin purchased my car. Flush and leave the dirty filter in there?

It is synthetic fluid, most owners just drive it and skip tranny maintenance altogether. Not me. I replaced the rear diff fluid about a year ago to. If I can perform the task, I do it. I did the engine coolant flush and replacement too. I have limited trust in any car dealership/service really. Toyota dealer service seemed really good when I owned a Toy Camry.

I've done 2 previous auto tranny services in my 40 years servicing my vehicles. Executing on your back with ramps and jack stands is a dirty challenging job versus with a lift and standing up. But I can get it done. Tranny repairs when they quit or have serious issues @ 150k miles or more (neglected) are really expensive, and you are @ their mercy then. YMMV

• Like 2

3 hours ago, polizzio said:

Even my owners manual/Chevy say to replace fluid and filter @ 97k miles.

Hard to remember routine maintenance when it happens every 100,000 miles. Most folks don't even know automatic trannies have a maintenance schedule/d.

What gets me is the increments on the [tranny] dipstick in pints when the tranny holds 5 - 6 quarts.

Oh... Good Morning

I'm mobile. Not very, but am up/around w/o my stick.

Mexican coffee. Egg, cheese and salsa burritos for breakfast. We'll let the beans slide for a minute. Making plenty of "music" w/o adding more fuel to the fire

• Haha 3

ahh h*ll

Nicaraguan here and leftover cornbread with taco meat, ripe j a p s and cheddar in it plus a few spoonfuls of frijoles/salsa.

Using the oven is nice when it's chilly outside!

It was 31 and I considered opening the window here an hour ago:wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

What gets me is the increments on the [tranny] dipstick in pints when the tranny holds 5 - 6 quarts.

Oh... Good Morning

I'm mobile. Not very, but am up/around w/o my stick.  

Good morning to you :)

Mine doesn't even have a dipstick. Chevy got away from it completely. There is a fill plug only, and a procedure to top off to correct level @ a prescribed fluid temp.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

It was 31

Same temp here now. Sun is blasting in and I'm not discouraging it. Gotta love these east facing windows. Those rooms warm in a quick. Not quite ready to open the doors and windows.We're shooting to low 60's.

@polizzio

I haven't checked to see if there is a dipstick on the wife's Versa. I think it does have one. The tranny is one of the continuously variable things. Not sure, but I think its tranny's maintenance is more often than every 100,000 miles

No, Dave

I did not wean blue jeans to gather wood. I did wear my bib o's when I got the first load. The wood was cut just the wrong length. About 20in long. My stove will go 16". Had to cut most into 10" pieces. Short, but manageable.  After I took a nap and helped my buddy with his septic.... I went out and got another load. I was dressed more for comfort than duty on that run... the sarong.

I snagged about 1/4 cord of well seasoned grey/no bark mesquite. I high-grade when I use the car. It doesn't hold a lot, so I make it count   This wood rings when you hit two chunks together.

• Like 4

Let me tell ya, its beautiful here this morning. 49F and we finally have some sunshine after rain and cloudy skies last couple days. I went for a drive already and stopped @ the local reac park and shot the basketball for a while. But more rain coming tomorrow :(  need to dry out here, yard waterlogged.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, babadono said:

Take out the bad one and put another bad one in?:)

That's pretty much it.  Have you ever driven one?  It feels like the transmission is in a constant state of slip.  You can floor it and the rpms spike and stay there all the while the car is accelerating with the rpms remaining constant.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes. Wife's Subaru has CVT. I've never floored it, but yes it is a different feel. Constantly slipping? I can't say the Subaru feels like that. I did ask when we bought the car brand new in 2013(2014 model) "This is not the first year Subaru has used a CVT is it?" Turned out they have used them for years. The Forester has been a good car(SUV) so far, knock on wood.

• Like 2

Big news in my coffee front. I ordered a new espresso machine today. It will be here Monday, can't wait. This machine should be like going from Heresies to Jubilees.

I had a very refreshing experience with Whole Latte Love, the company I bought from. Excellent customer service with an actual person on the phone. Over two days we talked over my wish list, budget and the pros and cons a few machines I narrowed it down to. They actually steered me AWAY from the more expensive of the bunch (the one I was leaning toward) and I truly felt like they had my best interests at heart not just making a sale. I even said I was open to buying a new grinder if they thought it would be beneficial and they talked me out of that as well. Said mine should be more then sufficient in the near future. They even gave me a better price than on the web site including any promotions they offered. She added some cleaning products and beans + $75 + 2% of purchase price as an account credit for future purchases.

If you are making a big coffee decision/purchase don't hesitate to look into Whole Latte Love. Way better buying experience than my recent encounter at a brick and mortar Hi-Fi shop.

• Like 3