Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

@Tarheel  If you missed it,  Watch the weather the next couple days, tropical storm, expected to stay offshore but just make sure it does not turn. Probably just some rain but you know how fast they can change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I wanna click on that, Mike

Good Mornin' All

the "cone of uncertainty" is about 1500 miles wide on that storm.  It could go due east or west when it gets up there.

was up just in time to see the crescent moon rising. Got my cold coffee, a cigarette ...I'm almost ready for it... whatever "it" is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

2 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Say Chuck,

You about got that sub fine tuned to your system? 

Was/am still thinking I want a sub. 2]SVS PB2000 was suggested as a good start. Don't think I want a sub that bad, yet.  

Reading the second line I would have sworn you were asking ‘Heel about his new Real Fits ? I’m sure they show off his chiseled frame -

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, richieb said:

Reading the second line I would have sworn you were asking ‘Heel about his new Real Fits ? I’m sure they show off his chiseled frame -

Chiseled, I thought that was just worn down to that shape ? :lol:

• Haha 1

Hey grasshopper..........it sounded so good out of the box I haven't messed with it other than the volume control.  There is an app that does everything for you but you know how I am with tech.  LF may take a shot at it tomorrow as nothing scares her.  The difference in sound quality is impressive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Say Chuck,

You about got that sub fine tuned to your system? 

Was/am still thinking I want a sub. 2]SVS PB2000 was suggested as a good start. Don't think I want a sub that bad, yet.  

With the LS you have if you can't get a THT or something of the folded woofer sort go with the 3000 series if you want the ported version.

Reason I say this is I had an sb2000 here that I trialed from SVS and sent it back. The characteristic of the sound just didn't blend with my Forte IIIs. The cylindrical version is a different story, they are different. For tight bass to come even close to matching the Klipsch Heritage speakers go Sealed Box. Ported goes deeper by a little but isn't as tight for music.

Our favorite dealer in KY deals SVS also. So call @Paducah Home Theater. To help keep one of our friends in electricity, food, shelter and stuff while our country is suffering again now.

The one Chuck has being their primo version has the controls on the back and from your cell phone in the 2000. All the 3000s and up do also.

The SB3000 I got a few months later hasn't moved from where I plugged it in and it throws the bass over to the Fortes and makes them sound like they are making the bass below 40 down to 18 for my rig! I love mine!

• Like 5

when I was working at the bowling alley,....

I had to learn to repair/maintain the computerized scoring system. Then I had to learn the CCD [camera] system. The one up-tech I appreciated was changing out the overhead scoring monitors from cathode ray the LED.  We had a block and tackle to deal the the CRTs. Serious

• Like 3

I had to learn to repair/maintain the computerized scoring system. Then I had to learn the CCD [camera] system. The one up-tech I appreciated was changing out the overhead scoring monitors from cathode ray the LED.  We had a block and tackle to deal the the CRTs. Serious

how much of a pain was it replacing the wood lanes with synthetic? Did bowling alley staff do that?

• Like 4

• Moderators

like me????

I'm not [too] intimidated by multi-disc cd players. I don't try to program it to do anything other than play the discs in order.   I can set the clock on the stove!

I don't miss the blinking 12:00 on the VCR's.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, grasshopper said:

My late father is one of those named on the Brunswick patent on the first automated scorekeeper in approximately 1961.  It took many years for automated scorekeepers to become the norm, as the cost to upgrade could bankrupt small operators.  

The movie theater business today is somewhat analogous.  The cost to upgrade from film projectors to digital projectors is prohibitively expensive for small independent operators.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

how much of a pain was it replacing the wood lanes with synthetic? Did bowling alley staff do that?

it was a major pita. We had to raise all the machines the thickness of the overlay... about 1/2inch. Adjust all of the scanners [for scoring] the same

no, we didn't do the install... but we had to clean up [the dust] after. You could skate on the approaches wearing sneakers.

Neil,

Was he involved in the one that showed which pins were left standing and displayed on the masking unit [the panel that hid the machine from the public].

The first scoring system I worked was rather primitive.... by today's standards.That was in '88.  It shown a beam of [visible] light across the pins and counted reflections. And yeah ... it was expensive to set up. There were modification to the pinsetters to integrate it. The pinsetters were A-2s... Some had 4 digit serial #s. Actually, the machines I worked were converted A's. Cast iron... over-built. There were a few items that required attention... Belts, bearings and bushings... nothing else wore out. The factory A-2s were another story. Replaced cast with stamped. Brunswick went a little overboard making them cheaper.

• Like 4

Ah

Good Morning All

Fresh, hot coffee this AM. Didn't have to kill the leftovers first.

too quiet.   I forgot to  engage the music. I could hear my remaining brain cell bouncing the walls.

Gathered the piles of dead weeds I raked up. Now I can get back to stacking rocks.  Had to cut weeds to get to the next "building" site... One thing leads to another... If you recall, I had to make a handle for the whip sickle in this process.  Feels like the song "Hole in the Bucket"... Can't fix the bucket because there's a hole in it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Here's one for ya. Just got back from trying to sweep all the hundreds of magnolia leaves from the patio and drive and surrounding grass.

In case you've never been around them if those big leaves landed the right direction a broom won't sweep them up unless it catches them exactly right. So some of the attempts were three or four times over the exact same group or single leaf. There are going to be a lot of blossoms this year.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1