Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

48 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

We have a bush, grows wild, that looks like holly. Its leaves have a pricker at the end of each "lobe", it is a point like a maple.... They manage to land prickers up and I think it is by design.

Depending on the situation “prickers up” has been considered a good thing — 

• Haha 4

• Moderators
5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Here's one for ya. Just got back from trying to sweep all the hundreds of magnolia leaves from the patio and drive and surrounding grass.

In case you've never been around them if those big leaves landed the right direction a broom won't sweep them up unless it catches them exactly right. So some of the attempts were three or four times over the exact same group or single leaf. There are going to be a lot of blossoms this year.

The leaves are a good size and really thick, it's the state tree here, huge flowers.

Gardenias are blooming right now, the big gardenia, August Beauty, there blooming so much they are hanging to the ground. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

as long as the flowers don’t smell, they can stay.  bought a house once and the backyard was like a jungle. at night, some plants was so pungent, it was overpowering. Told my wife that we need to identify it and remove it. She knew what it was ... can’t recall the name (star jasmine or night jasmine...something like that) but wow you could smell it from far away. how in the world can someone enjoy that smell?  

I subscribe to the comedian Gallagher's philosophy “if you like the smell so much, stick it up YOUR nose." 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Well aren't you just a barrel of fun, they were planted because the smell so good when they bloom. That one and about 6 more in the back yard. 

They mostly  have a ketchup smell.................now what ? :o

Just kidding they really smell like Gardenias :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, dtel said:

Well aren't you just a barrel of fun, they were planted because the smell so good when they bloom. That one and about 6 more in the back yard. 

They mostly  have a ketchup smell.................now what ? :o

Just kidding they really smell like Gardenias :mellow:

i'd like to tell you what they smell like; but being a Christian man, i won’t.

Not the only smell that i have trouble with ... many perfumes, paint, chemicals, Taco Bell. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I really get the Taco Bell thing, and some perfumes are very concentrated, and at times smell like bug spray.

But still some/most flowers smell great, to the average person, but NOT this one, it's called the corpse flower.

corpse-flower-in-bloom.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

some plants was so pungent, it was overpowering.

you sound like my wife complaining about my garden... Some smell like toxic waste. You wouldn't want to come in the doghouse in the fall.

I do have a strain that does smell like gardenia.... she doesn't mind that.

I am sensitive to smells, too. Perfume should be detectable from no more than 6 inches away.

One day I needed to go somewhere and spritzed my pits with the boy's AXXE or however it is spelled...   Had to drive with the windows open. Was still gagging when I got to the BP checkpoint.

@dtel

You might enjoy our Jujube trees. They are in bloom right now.  Nothing for showy flowers -- tiny green things... Like mango or lychee flowers... they are fragrant, though. Remind me of the smell of lime jello.

It takes a stoner to appreciate skunk or burnt hair and mango chutney.

• Haha 3

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

@dtel

You might enjoy our Jujube trees. They are in bloom right now.  Nothing for showy flowers -- tiny green things... Like mango or lychee flowers... they are fragrant, though. Remind me of the smell of lime jello.

I probably would like that. I looked it up, looks like a little apple but is really a red date or Chinese date, never heard of them before. 

56 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

It takes a stoner to appreciate skunk or burnt hair and mango chutney.

Never tried the burnt hair and mango chutney, but would give it a smell, can't be worse then skunk. Love that commercial 

• Haha 2

Jujubes, ours anyway, come like sweet, rather dry - not juicy, crunchy apple. No tang to them. Kinda flat. They're sposed to have some value in folk medicine... a "relaxant"   Whatever that means.

When they dry, they do resemble a date in flavor. Not near as sweet. And they have a pit, like a date. We don't get many. The coons like them, the woodpeckers like them .... in the desert, any fruit will draw a crowd.

We can tell when the prickly pear are ripe by the purple faces on the dove.

5 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

as long as the flowers don’t smell, they can stay.

you are in luck.

when folks were developing some of these fancy schmancy flowers, they forgot about fragrance. You have to look to find SweetPeas that are fragrant. Many are not ... now.  Roses, too.

• Like 2

Mornin' All

Fresh coffee two days in a row. If I wasn't so cheap, I would pour that leftover out.

Guest star on PerryMason last night ... Commissioner Gordon from Batman series...

I picked him as the guilty  party. Wife and I have a little game with this show.  We guess who is going to die and who is guilty before the crime happens. The guilty one is always someone peripheral. None of the obvious suspicious characters did it .. too easy. And Perry never defends the guilty.

Spose I should talk about the weather...

We are in for a cold spell. Only gonna make 85`. That's below normal.  Average is 92`. 

wind is ushering the cold in. Gonna be a day to put rocks in my pockets. Tie the VW down.

Haven't been to the lake. I bet it's down a foot from the last time I was out. It drops fast this time of year. Like watching the tide go out. Might be able to walk the bank soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

Guest star on PerryMason last night ... Commissioner Gordon from Batman series...

I saw Paul Drake on and old black and white sci fi flick the other night.  Not sure of the name of the movie as I came in on the end of it but it was about a giant praying mantis.  The old special effects crack me up.

• Like 2

Saw Jack Nicholson on an old Andy Griffith episode the other day.  He was a hoodlum in court for stealing a TV out of the back of a store.  Aunt Bea was on the jury and caused a hung jury.  Nicholson was later found innocent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Saw Jack Nicholson on an old Andy Griffith episode the other day.  He was a hoodlum in court for stealing a TV out of the back of a store.  Aunt Bea was on the jury and caused a hung jury.  Nicholson was later found innocent.

That @AuntBea is a trouble maker.

• Haha 3