Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

5 hours ago, Islander said:

Cheap old dinner knives are used, not fine steel, of course.  I laughed when I saw this on TV around 1992.  It might have been Wonderful Grand Band, or some show like that.  A precursor of 22 minutes and Trailer Park Boys.

we used to torch a pair of bread and butter knives but they were used for compression ignition back in the early 70's. Somebody's mom would always ask "hey what happened to these knives?" and get mad so if you were smart you borrowed a pair from the cafeteria to make sure your did not bring on any unwanted attention.

as an aside you can bring on nice hues of blue and gray if you are using a high carbon steel applying slices of strawberry to the blade surface and wrapping it with plastic wrap for the day. this sort of forced patine has zero impact on the hardness or temper of the blade and will help keep the blade from rusting. This can work on some SS but not as well and to on very many types of SS blades. Lots of acidic foods will colour a blade but most turn it black or very dark. You can experiment with as many types of acidic food as you want and if you don't like the results you can sand off the unwanted patina and then force another one using something new. If you want a black blade pickling vinegar will turn 1095 high carbon steel a totally mat black. Make sure you use alcohol to 100% clean the steel prior to treating as even light finger touches will leave enough finger oil to block oxidation of the steel.

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, USNRET said:

use a turntable arm as a small scale

That figures, leave it to a military guy and he will figure out a way. Well it is kind of a scale for lightweight things.

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Five large trucks with booms & claws behind the cab and then a flatbed just went down the street, it's 7pm not much light left. They're trying to get at that giant tree that's been blocking the major through street around here since the storms Friday. Not joking this one was bigger than the one that came down there Easter morning. From an eighth of a mile west where my road crosses it it seemed like a green wall 7 or 8 feet tall down there. it's been ten almost and don't hear saws yet so I imagine they're going to get to work on it at daybreak tomorrow.

Didn't search any more since then but two folks did get killed here by trees Friday, one in his house and one driving down the road. Hundred year old oaks are heavy.

The weight of a tree trunk is pretty shocking as to how much they weigh, there are charts online for each species with sizes and weight per foot, It's amazing. 

Glad more were not killed, they can crush a house.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Islander said:

Cheap old dinner knives are used, not fine steel, of course.  I laughed when I saw this on TV around 1992.  It might have been Wonderful Grand Band, or some show like that.  A precursor of 22 minutes and Trailer Park Boys.

it's all fun and games until you slip your grip and kiss a blade and get a two lip tattoo. those were very difficult to explain away and hurt like hell. after than you got a pipe or got inventive. A bud used a car cigarette lighter attached to a 12 v battery (via a switch) mounted facing up on a piece of plywood covered by a glass vacuum bell jar. Full ignition turn off the heat lift the jar a bit and suck on the top of the bell jar. wam bam, bam bam bam like Bamm-bamm Rubble would say.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I'm glad you said that. I was starting to feel like a bad influence around here...

Probably an average influence around here, in some cases maby leaning to the good side, imagine that. 

23 minutes ago, richieb said:
55 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I'm glad you said that. I was starting to feel like a bad influence around here...

There have been more bad influences come and go around than you can shake a stick at. But it’s refreshing to think of yourself as one — 

It is kind of refreshing, the funny part is you thought you might be a bad influence

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, RANDYH said:

they moved a 100 year oak tree in 2012 - it weighed 518000 lbs -http://blog.scentedleaf.com/2012/10/100-year-old-compton-oak-moved-to-new.html

i love watching those, very high priced if it is just hired out like for golf courses or whatever. That was a little different. cool tree

We have done that on a MUCH smaller scale of course. About the biggest trees we moved were live oaks with about a 10" caliper and 25' tall. The root ball was about 8' wide and 2.5 ' deep, tiny compared to large trees. We were hired to put them down the median of a large subdivision, probably every 100'.

We had found someone who had a field full of them, picked them out paid for them then paid someone to dig and burlap and bind the root ball together, we rented a 18 wheeler flatbed and loaded them with  track hoe.  They drove them to the job about 35 minutes away where I had another machine to dig the hole and remove it from the truck to plant and back fill. After all that we went back watered and made sure there were no empty cavities around the tree, put some metal t post and used barb less, barbed wire to make a ring covered with hose material to have a place to stake them off to the post. 

It was a job, I wouldn't do it again. But we did plant thousands of smaller trees (3" 5" caliper) that didn't require heavy equipment.

• Like 2

Mornin' All

Came to the doghouse semi-prepared.

2 cups of coffee. One cold/old and the other fresh.

Nothing exciting this AM... Too early for that, I hope.

Boy is back to work. So much for him helping me with the yard.  I trust he does more at work than around here. 

Our neighbor was down for the weekend. Nice lady. She comes down every few months. Says she would rather be confined to quarters here than Tucson. Can't say I blame her.

She has one of those tiny houses.  Wife said she could live in one of them. No, she couldn't. Her library wouldn't fit in there.  If they were that "spacious" you wouldn't see folks doing add-ons before the even move in. Neighbor had a porch [as big as the "house"] put up. And a shed and , what appears to be, outdoor bathing facilities. I haven't seen the house. I bet the bathroom is one that you can shit, shower and shave all at the same time.  You've seen them... The "bathroom" was the shower stall.... with a floor drain.

We got a dozen and a half of fresh eggs. Not been washed, even.  No refrigeration required. Might give the incentive to refurbish the chicken coops. They have been idle for many years... before we got the place. Refurbish is more like tear down and rebuild. Everything on this property was built from reclaimed materials. Would be fun to just order a bunch of lumber and "go to town" instead of continuing this reclaim/recycle theme. Odd thing about that... the lady who built this place was a relative of one of the governors. Think she would have done with more new materials. No argument on the redwood...I'll bet the railroad station it came from was  part of her connections.

• Like 4

my wife watches ghosty shows/reality....

the other night I sat thru part of one until I had to leave... I was laughing so hard. 

An "investigator" was interviewing a lady that was having issues with ghosts.

She described her encounters [at night] as feeling stone cold and then burning hot and having "bad thoughts"...

the investigator immediately asked if was female related.

Yes... I am done for the day. Spent a couple hours cutting and raking. I'll resume activity just before sundown. Time to round up the rocks I exposed in the weeding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

She described her encounters [at night] as feeling stone cold and then burning hot and having "bad thoughts"...

the investigator immediately asked if was female related.

That is related, positively, but it's not a ghost it's a demonic possession. I called it mental pause.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, grasshopper said:

We got a dozen and a half of fresh eggs.

We get some from a son in law, wife cooking me some with bacon right now. She asked a minute ago did you eat yet, I said no since I had seen she had taken bacon out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I would like to let my wife cook eggs for me.  She not a breakfast person and doesn't care for eggs. What she does to them may be a contributing factor to her not liking them.

She is still shy of using steel spatulas and tries to use those plastic ones. That is a big part of it. That is why she couldn't make pancakes, either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

Well it's breakfast food but it is 2:09 pm, but she is a morning person unlike me. She is using a plastic spatula in a cast iron pan, not that I care just like Nike says "just do it".

• Like 3

• Moderators

Just to stay with the CC&C thread this is about coffee. 

My wife knows how much I like coffee so when she sees it she buys it, I had probably 3-4 bags already and the local store had it on sale yesterday so I am really stocked up now. The bags with the white on top is the new style label, what she got yesterday.

image.jpeg

• Like 5